75 MPH zone furthest east?

Started by bugo, June 07, 2010, 09:04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

My guess it's the Cherokee Turnpike in Oklahoma.  Is there a 75 MPH zone further to the east?

corco

I-80 in Nevada, if you go all the way around the world. Otherwise, I can't see how you could possibly be wrong since the Cherokee is east of the easternmost parts of NE/SD/ND, the only other states with eastern 75 MPH zones.

shoptb1

Hell, I'd be happy if Ohio would at least bump us up to 70 mph.   :angry:

jjakucyk

I find it amusing that West Virginia has many interstates signed for 70 mph that really shouldn't be, since many of the curves have to be signed for 60 or 65. 

rawmustard

Quote from: jjakucyk on June 08, 2010, 01:29:12 PM
I find it amusing that West Virginia has many interstates signed for 70 mph that really shouldn't be, since many of the curves have to be signed for 60 or 65. 

Now just because the curves are set at a lower advisory speed is no reason for the speed limit to be lower.

agentsteel53

the only place where WV should have a speed limit of 65 is about two or three miles before the VA state line.  They do have a yellow diamond sign with the "speed limit 65 ahead" on it, but I've been pulled over two hundred feet into Virginia doing a suddenly unreasonable 73 in a 65.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

jjakucyk

Quote from: rawmustard on June 08, 2010, 01:31:58 PM
Now just because the curves are set at a lower advisory speed is no reason for the speed limit to be lower.

Maybe not, but when there's a nearly continuous succession of curves, like I-64 near Huntington, or in the mountainous area of I-77 near the Virginia border, then maybe they need to rethink things.  It makes sense that most of I-77 between Charleston and Beckley is 60 mph, because it's nothing but twists and turns on a fairly narrow right-of-way.  However, while most interstates are perfectly drivable at 80 mph or more, some of these stretches in West Virginia really don't feel safe even at the posted speed.  

agentsteel53

Quote from: jjakucyk on June 08, 2010, 01:40:33 PM

Maybe not, but when there's a nearly continuous succession of curves, like I-64 near Huntington, or in the mountainous area of I-77 near the Virginia border, then maybe they need to rethink things.  It makes sense that most of I-77 between Charleston and Beckley is 60 mph, because it's nothing but twists and turns on a fairly narrow right-of-way.  However, while most interstates are perfectly drivable at 80 mph or more, some of these stretches in West Virginia really don't feel safe even at the posted speed.  

certainly, but that's no reason for a statutory limit. 

It is fair for the insurance companies to take into consideration that you were doing 80 when conditions did not merit such a speed, but if you didn't crash, then I see no reason to be punished.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

averill

Let's not forget that Maine just raised the limit to 75 MPH north of Bangor to the Canadian Border just last month.  It should be raised at least to 70 south of Bangor to Augusta as well.

By the way before the National 55 MPH limit came in late 1973, the only state with a speed limit over 70 east of the Mississippi was Tennessee; 75 MPH day/65 night and trucks 65 day/55 nights on their Interstate System.

Ian

Quote from: averill on December 27, 2011, 12:30:06 AM
Let's not forget that Maine just raised the limit to 75 MPH north of Bangor to the Canadian Border just last month.  It should be raised at least to 70 south of Bangor to Augusta as well.

Why stop at Augusta? I'd make it 70 all the way down to Kittery! Yet with all of the traffic on that stretch (especially south of Portland), I doubt it'll ever happen. Some of the other interstates and freeways in the state would be a lot more convenient though with a 70 speed limit, like I-295 north of Portland.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

oscar

Quote from: averill on December 27, 2011, 12:30:06 AM
Let's not forget that Maine just raised the limit to 75 MPH north of Bangor to the Canadian Border just last month.
Certainly about as far east in the 50 U.S. states as you can get.  Adding in Puerto Rico (65mph tops) and the Maritime Provinces (110km/h max in some provinces) doesn't change the picture.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.