News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Mexican Highway Shield Vectors

Started by Quillz, September 10, 2010, 12:05:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quillz

I looked through all the highway shields I have from other countries and see I don't have any from Mexico. Do any official vectors exist anywhere? I'm looking primarily for the shield used on the federal highways or autopistas. There are unofficial vector traces available on Wikipedia, but the quality isn't as good as an official shield would be.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Quillz on September 10, 2010, 12:05:29 PM
I looked through all the highway shields I have from other countries and see I don't have any from Mexico. Do any official vectors exist anywhere? I'm looking primarily for the shield used on the federal highways or autopistas. There are unofficial vector traces available on Wikipedia, but the quality isn't as good as an official shield would be.

I do not remember the exact online source (JN Winkler might) but I made some vectors based on their 1986 MUTCD.  The problem is, their description is internally inconsistent - the radii and lengths do not perfectly add up!  So I had to make some subtle changes based on aesthetics.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Quillz

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 10, 2010, 12:16:26 PM
Quote from: Quillz on September 10, 2010, 12:05:29 PM

I do not remember the exact online source (JN Winkler might) but I made some vectors based on their 1986 MUTCD.  The problem is, their description is internally inconsistent - the radii and lengths do not perfectly add up!  So I had to make some subtle changes based on aesthetics.
Do you think you could send me a copy of what you have? The ones on Wikipedia may or may not be similar to the one you made. The ones on Wikipedia don't appear to be based off any standardized specs, rather just drawn by hand to what they think the shield is supposed to look like.

agentsteel53

yeah I'll send when I get home.  might be another late day at work...

jake@aaroads.com

Quillz

J N Winkler

Official vectors:  no.  (It is possible to download Mexican signing plans through CompraNET.gob.mx, but they are never ever pattern-accurate.)  Unofficial vectors:  yes.  I have a shield done to MDCT specifications and it is correct bar the substitution of FHWA alphabet series for the correct Mexican alphabet series (the inconsistency Jake refers to is a result of overspecification and the erroneous dimension can be safely ignored), but at the moment my Internet access is limited since my computer lost its ISP feed.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

treichard

Have you stumbled across any signing plans or patterns for the Mexican state shields?  I've been looking for these, even for just one state, to obtain an accurate state shield pattern.
Map your cumulative highway travel
Clinched Highway Mapping
http://cmap.m-plex.com/

agentsteel53

I never have - but I get the idea that the state shield is a superset of the federal shield - fill in the corners and the four missing scalloped sections.

jake@aaroads.com

J N Winkler

I have.  The state shield is in the MDCT (it is federally mandated--there is no "state option" as in the US).  There are also nationally standardized shields for what I think is a classification of farm-to-market highway.  However, I have not yet tried drawing the shields for either type of highway yet.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

JN Winkler, those must be the ones marked "Rural" on the top.  ? ? ?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

J N Winkler

Yup, those are the ones.  I don't think I have ever seen one in the field.

agentsteel53

Quote from: J N Winkler on November 22, 2011, 08:27:33 PM
Yup, those are the ones.  I don't think I have ever seen one in the field.

I never even noticed it in the manual.

jake@aaroads.com

kphoger

I see them on the free road between Saltillo and La Paila.
That's the only place I've seen them, though.

Here's a Google street view of one along that stretch:
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Is there someone that could post the MDCT specs for federal and state highway shields? I'm having trouble finding them.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Thanks for bumping.  It made me realize I now have a better view of those tertiary route shields.  I posted this picture in another thread, but not in this thread.  Interestingly, without realizing it until now, I managed to snap a shot of the exact same location I had found on GMSV seven months earlier.  The signs were less than 15 months old when I photographed them in June 2012.  (That's our van in the background.)

Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

I believe Jake is currently happily munching on his hat.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

J N Winkler

To answer Scott's question upthread, here is the URL of the page where various parts of the MDCT can be downloaded:

http://dgst.sct.gob.mx/index.php?id=602

Edit:  The signs Kphoger has posted look like quality work, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say they were fabricated by Semex.  They use the actual SCT alphabet series, not Arial or the FHWA series (I can tell because the valley in the "M" does not go all the way to the baseline).  I am going to guess SCT Series 1 for the green-background legend and Series 2 for the route numbers.

Quillz

I seem to have lost the 1986 MUTCD that I used to have showing the dimensions of the Mexican route shields... Does anyone still have a copy, or can at least tell me the proper placement of the numeral legend and the "D" legend?

RaulMtz

Quote from: Quillz on February 04, 2016, 01:16:25 PM
I seem to have lost the 1986 MUTCD that I used to have showing the dimensions of the Mexican route shields... Does anyone still have a copy, or can at least tell me the proper placement of the numeral legend and the "D" legend?

Here ya go:

http://sct.gob.mx/fileadmin/DireccionesGrales/DGST/Manuales/NUEVO-SENALAMIENTO/manualSenalamientoVialDispositivosSeguridad.pdf

US 41

There's also this one on Mexican Highway 30. Are Rural routes only in Coahuila? Coahuila is the only estado I've seen them in on GSV.

Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

dcbjms

Quote from: US 41 on February 11, 2016, 01:06:28 AM
There's also this one on Mexican Highway 30. Are Rural routes only in Coahuila? Coahuila is the only estado I've seen them in on GSV.

Basically, rural routes are to Mexico what farm-to-market roads are to Texas, so they show up in very random or isolated areas.  The best one can do is basically take a Taiwanese highway shield from Wikimedia Commons, get rid of all the colours, fill the border in with black, and then guess as to the rest of the measurements.

J N Winkler

Just to add to what MancoMtz posted above--on SCT DGST's manuals page, there is a link not just to the manual, but also to a digital image bank of traffic sign images that allows them to be downloaded in AutoCAD DWG format:

http://www.sct.gob.mx/carreteras/direccion-general-de-servicios-tecnicos/normativa/manuales/

The images include full sets of glyphs for SCT Series 1-5 and Lowercase which, contrary to what the Wikipedia Highway Gothic article will tell you, are not identical to the FHWA series.

The 1986 MDCT seems no longer to be available on the live website (though it is possibly still retrievable through the Web Archive)--the manual currently available for download dates from 2014.  The text and formatting is clean, but unfortunately the images are still rasters.

dcbjms

Quote from: J N Winkler on February 11, 2016, 02:55:45 PMThe images include full sets of glyphs for SCT Series 1-5 and Lowercase which, contrary to what the Wikipedia Highway Gothic article will tell you, are not identical to the FHWA series.

Which leaves the question open if someone has taken the time to create a font based on those glyphs?  (That would make an interesting addition to the Roadgeek 2014 fonts.)  And although they are not identical, is there a potential comparison to the FHWA Series that can be used?

kphoger

Quote from: US 41 on February 11, 2016, 01:06:28 AMAre Rural routes only in Coahuila?

No. I've seen GSV of them in San Luis Potosí, and perhaps one or two others that I can't think of offhand.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.