News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Take Your Health Seriously

Started by NWI_Irish96, February 23, 2022, 07:12:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Quote from: snowc on March 03, 2022, 12:21:24 PM
... In 2020, this was the worst day of my life. ... my mother said no more fried foods, and no more juice, soda, and fatty foods. I even had to taste apples and oranges (AND I GAGGED, this was because my palate has a texture issue that makes me gag with stuff I don't like, such as vegetables except corn, international items, and especially having to customize the item to not have any vegetables) ...

Whoa, do you mean to say you went nearly 20 years without ever tasting an apple or an orange? That might be one of the craziest things I've ever heard...

JayhawkCO

Quote from: webny99 on March 03, 2022, 12:24:45 PM
... In 2020, this was the worst day of my life. ... my mother said no more fried foods, and no more juice, soda, and fatty foods. I even had to taste apples and oranges (AND I GAGGED, this was because my palate has a texture issue that makes me gag with stuff I don't like, such as vegetables except corn, international items, and especially having to customize the item to not have any vegetables) ...

Whoa, do you mean to say you went nearly 20 years without ever tasting an apple or an orange? That might be one of the craziest things I've ever heard...

There are plenty of people who only eat fast/processed foods.  I am reasonably certain that I eat fast food less than 99% of the other active users on this site.

snowc

Quote from: JayhawkCO on March 03, 2022, 01:42:59 PM

There are plenty of people who only eat fast/processed foods.  I am reasonably certain that I eat fast food less than 99% of the other active users on this site.
That is me, I have a sensitive palate that makes me gag and retch.

snowc

Yep. Don't like fruits and vegetables.  :no:

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: snowc on March 04, 2022, 02:45:04 PM

How do you know you wouldn't like them if you haven't tried them?

snowc

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 04, 2022, 03:19:58 PM

I have tried them and I gagged.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: snowc on March 04, 2022, 03:22:05 PM

Did you though?  Or are you just making this up because you didn't want to eat something healthy?   

snowc

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 04, 2022, 03:24:08 PM

Did you though?  Or are you just making this up because you didn't want to eat something healthy?
Yes I tried SOME. but eventually this all resulted in me puking it up.
This is NOT a made up sentence, this is real.

webny99

Only fast/processed foods? 3 meals a day? Also considering there are people that can't afford to ever eat out, 99% is pretty steep unless you go years without eating fast food.

You probably eat less fast food than me, I'll definitely give you that, and yet... I eat my share of fast food and also eat 1-3 fruits/vegetables a day and have at least tried pretty much every fruit/vegetable I can think of. That's not mutually exclusive with eating fast food.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: webny99 on March 04, 2022, 03:30:21 PM

Only fast/processed foods? 3 meals a day? Also considering there are people that can't afford to ever eat out, 99% is pretty steep unless you go years without eating fast food.

You probably eat less fast food than me, I'll definitely give you that, and yet... I eat my share of fast food and also eat 1-3 fruits/vegetables a day and have at least tried pretty much every fruit/vegetable I can think of. That's not mutually exclusive with eating fast food.

You'd might surprised how many fast food places accept alternative forms of payment like EBT. 

HighwayStar

All good things in moderation!
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 04, 2022, 03:33:27 PM
You'd might surprised how many fast food places accept alternative forms of payment like EBT. 

... if the EBT-carrying customer also qualifies for RMP–and that the state even has an RMP.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on March 04, 2022, 03:50:31 PM

... if the EBT-carrying customer also qualifies for RMP–and that the state even has an RMP.

What drives me up the wall is my Mother in Law with her spending habits on EBT.  Her health is incredibly bad to begin with (she weighs over 300lbs) with but she also knows how to cook really well.  I get it that it's east to pick up fast food but it also tells me at this point that she's let her health completely go.  It's sad to see, especially when my wife tries her best to convince her to follow healthy habits.

HighwayStar

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 04, 2022, 03:54:56 PM

What drives me up the wall is my Mother in Law with her spending habits on EBT.  Her health is incredibly bad to begin with (she weighs over 300lbs) with but she also knows how to cook really well.  I get it that it's east to pick up fast food but it also tells me at this point that she's let her health completely go.  It's sad to see, especially when my wife tries her best to convince her to follow healthy habits.

Don't ever work in a grocery store or you will be quickly be driven mad watching how people are spending EBT benefits that you are paying for with your hard earned tax dollars. Some things are better to not know friend.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

Rothman

Pfft.  Even Moody's says food stamps generate more value than just what the recipient spends.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: HighwayStar on March 04, 2022, 04:00:57 PM

Don't ever work in a grocery store or you will be quickly be driven mad watching how people are spending EBT benefits that you are paying for with your hard earned tax dollars. Some things are better to not know friend.

As opposed to the three shoplifter that have tried to stab me, the one guy who tried to hit me with brass knuckles or numerous other assaults towards me over the course of twenty years as a retail security manager?  How is EBT usage supposed to come off as shocking?

abefroman329

Quote from: HighwayStar on March 04, 2022, 04:00:57 PM

Ah yes, Reagan's "strapping young bucks buying T-bone steaks and driving Cadillacs purchased with welfare" rears its ugly head again.  Even if the anti-government assistance sentiment was colorblind, I can't say I could gin up much outrage over a poor person buying a candy bar every now and then.

kphoger

My wife and I use EBT.  And, I must admit, it is a little unsettling that we can buy deep-fried bacon-wrapped lard sticks (if such a thing existed) with it just as easily as we can buy kale and cucumbers.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Maybe it's because I remember back to the days when I was young and broke and buying baby stuff with WIC, and I was very limited in which items I could buy with it.
Male pronouns, please.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on March 04, 2022, 04:20:15 PM
Maybe it's because I remember back to the days when I was young and broke and buying baby stuff with WIC, and I was very limited in which items I could buy with it.
Oh yeah, I remember the pants-shitting when farmers markets started accepting EBT.

JayhawkCO

Yes, there are many people who only eat processed foods. Pop tart for breakfast. Frozen pizza for lunch. Chicken nuggets with Ore-Ida French fries for dinner, or something of the like. I don't eat a lot of fast food (maybe once every 3 weeks to a month), but almost everything I make at home is from scratch.

jemacedo9

One "trait" of autism is a major sensitivity to food textures.  And it's not the same texture for everyone.  That's the "palate has a texture issue" mentioned above. So...yes...eating a certain texture could cause gagging on its own. So...no...it's not "making this up because you didn't want to eat something."

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jemacedo9 on March 04, 2022, 04:32:47 PM

One "trait" of autism is a major sensitivity to food textures.  And it's not the same texture for everyone.  That's the "palate has a texture issue" mentioned above. So...yes...eating a certain texture could cause gagging on its own. So...no...it's not "making this up because you didn't want to eat something."

Fair enough, all the same I'm not fully convinced that all the stories the poster in question presents are truly accurate accounts.  There have been some really interesting claims and stories put out there by said poster that seem to possibly been embellished at times.  I think asking "are you sure are telling the truth"  isn't too far off base to ask from time to time.  The poster responded, said he was telling the truth and I left it at that. 

thspfc

Quote from: Rothman on February 26, 2022, 10:13:11 AM
Quote from: thspfc on February 26, 2022, 09:39:27 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 26, 2022, 09:36:24 AM
Quote from: thspfc on February 26, 2022, 08:54:08 AM
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on February 25, 2022, 06:50:26 PM
The title says it all. Espacially knowing how your health care system works, as it can save you big bucks. Also, the best way to loss weight is eating less and healthy, and doing exercise (although per what I get "eating healthy" may be hard in the USA). It requires lots of effort, but also avoids surgeries.
It's as easy to eat healthy here as it is anywhere else in the world. And probably much easier than most countries.

But it isn't easy to eat a healthy amount or stay active.
I suppose it depends on your childhood, someone who was raised in a family where large emphasis was placed on health will think it's easy. Either way, it's easier than in most countries.
That don't make no sense.
Care to explain why?

thspfc

I have zero respect for people who buy garbage with EBT. No excuses, period. Especially energy drinks. Using other people's hard earned money to harm your body is just awful.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.