News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Roads named for businesses which no longer exist (there)

Started by briantroutman, July 01, 2016, 11:44:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DandyDan

In Blair, Nebraska, Dana Road and College Drive continue to exist even after Dana College closed in 2010.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

kkt

Quote from: myosh_tino on July 03, 2016, 11:57:16 PM
Quote from: kkt on July 03, 2016, 09:04:33 PM
Nut Tree Road in Vacaville, CA.

While the original Nut Tree is gone, the new shopping center, which includes the railway attraction, is called Nut Tree Plaza.  The nearby airport is also still called the Nut Tree Airport.

Just because there are other things still around that are named after the Nut Tree doesn't mean the Nut Tree itself still exists.

DJDBVT

In Brattleboro, VT, there's a Town Crier Drive, which used to lead to the offices of the former weekly paper of the same name. The Crier ceased operations well over a decade ago, after being absorbed by the local daily paper. In the same town, the fairground on Fairground Road is now the site of the local high school.

Across the river in Hinsdale, NH, there's Starting Gate Lane and Homestretch Road adjacent to the now closed Hinsdale Greyhound Park.

Back in Vermont, in Newfane there's Railroad Lane, though no railroad has existed in the area since the 1930s.

Slightly off topic, Brattleboro has an Aubuchon Plaza (spitting distance from Town Crier Drive) housing a number of businesses, though Aubuchon Hardware left the plaza 20+ years ago.

cl94

Aviation Road (NY 254) in Queensbury, NY used to have an airport. In the 50s or 60s, the airport was closed and turned into the campus for the school district.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

1995hoo

Out near Dulles Airport, there's a street named Redskin Drive that is so named because it was the site of the original Redskins Park training facility built in the 1970s. Sometime in the 1990s the Redskins built a new facility not too far away in Ashburn (on Redskin Park Drive) and turned over the old facility to DC United, the soccer team, who renamed it United Park. They've moved on as well and the old facility is now some sort of church, with the sports fields still there, but the street is still Redskin Drive.

(Joe Gibbs used to talk about how he'd lose track of time and only realize he'd been up all night at the old Redskins Park when he heard the incoming British Airways Concorde arriving from London in the morning.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

PurdueBill

In an opposite or otherwise not perfect example, Costco opened on June 22 in Boston Heights, Ohio on Bass Pro Shops Drive, but the Bass Pro Shops location that was announced in May 2015 at the same development has stalled and there is no sign of it ever being built.  So Costco has to give its address as being on Bass Pro Shops Drive while Costco is the only one on that road for the foreseeable future!

In an example fitting the OP, Roebuck Drive in West Lafayette, IN dates to when the Sears store was there, before moving to Tippecanoe Mall. 

Had Airport Expressway not been renamed Sam Jones, it would have fit this topic very well. 

CNGL-Leudimin

Then there's Aeroport (airport) station on line 2 (Zamoskvoretskaya) of Moscow metro. Named after the first airport Moscow had, the Khodynka aerodrome which was located nearby. Today the station is nowhere near an airport.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

OracleUsr

Regional Road (old NC 68) in Greensboro used to pass by the old Greensboro Regional Airport, but the airport moved a few miles away and the road terminates well short of what is now Piedmont-Triad International Airport (yeah, right!!!)
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

cl94

Quote from: OracleUsr on July 04, 2016, 05:38:20 PM
the road terminates well short of what is now Piedmont-Triad International Airport (yeah, right!!!)

That's how we feel about Albany "International" Airport
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

D-Dey65

A.C.L. Street in Brooksville, Florida ran along a former Atlantic Coast Line Railroad line that's now the Good Neighbor Trail, but there are plenty of streets with names like that in the country.

Also, there's some local residential street named "Sprain Brook Parkway Drive" in Elmsford, New York, which I suspect was the originally intended right-of-way for the Sprain Brook Parkway... it actually has no connection to Sprain Brook Parkway itself.

jp the roadgeek

I'm sure there are many Schoolhouse Rd's out there that do not have schools on them but did in the past.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

cl94

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on July 05, 2016, 12:47:57 AM
I'm sure there are many Schoolhouse Rd's out there that do not have schools on them but did in the past.

School St in Lancaster, NY had a school until it was condemned in the early 50s. Replacement was built a couple blocks away.

TheStranger

Quote from: jakeroot on July 03, 2016, 03:22:05 PM
Quote from: myosh_tino on July 03, 2016, 01:57:35 PM
A couple in my neck of the woods...

Marine Parkway (https://goo.gl/maps/4D9zQXC9sAx)
This was the main access road to the Marine World/Africa USA theme park which moved to Vallejo in 1986.  The site is now the world headquarters or Oracle.

Isn't there also a Marine World Parkway in Vallejo (the original name of Six Flags Discovery Kingdom)? There's a sign for the parkway but Google doesn't seem to show any roads with that name (so I'm not totally sure if it exists).

What had been Marine World Parkway is now named Lewis Brown Drive (now that Route 37 follows an alignment built in the early 2000s bypassing it to the north).

---

In San Francisco, we have a short cul-de-sac near Union Square for "Security Pacific Place" even though that bank has not existed since the late 1980s.
Chris Sampang

kkt

Quote from: TheStranger on July 05, 2016, 02:16:33 AM
In San Francisco, we have a short cul-de-sac near Union Square for "Security Pacific Place" even though that bank has not existed since the late 1980s.

And, of course Maiden Lane, which is now high-end retail instead of prostitution.

Takumi

Brown Street in Petersburg, VA is named for the cigarette maker Brown & Williamson and exists on both sides of its old factory there.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

DandyDan

Quote from: DJDBVT on July 04, 2016, 08:27:19 AM
Back in Vermont, in Newfane there's Railroad Lane, though no railroad has existed in the area since the 1930s.

There must be numerous examples of Railroad Street (Avenue, etc.) which parallel abandoned railroad lines.  Austin, TX has the Mopac Expressway, named for the long abandoned Missouri Pacific Railroad.  Closer to my home, they have the MoPac Trail, which is a rail trail named for the railroad that used to run on it when there was tracks.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

roadman65

Linden, NJ has a Pennsylvania Avenue that runs long side the Amtrak NE Corridor.  That was not named after the state directly, but because the NE Corridor used to be the Pennsylvania Railroad that got absorbed when most of the Mid Atlantic railroads got collapsed in the late 60's and early 70's. 

Many railroads are part of American history and long after the tracks are gone the local street names are proud to represent what once was.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

PHLBOS

In Somerville, MA: Assembly Square Drive & the adjacent mall refer to a Ford Motor Company assembly plant that used to be in the area.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jakeroot

Quote from: TheStranger on July 05, 2016, 02:16:33 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on July 03, 2016, 03:22:05 PM
Isn't there also a Marine World Parkway in Vallejo (the original name of Six Flags Discovery Kingdom)? There's a sign for the parkway but Google doesn't seem to show any roads with that name (so I'm not totally sure if it exists).

What had been Marine World Parkway is now named Lewis Brown Drive (now that Route 37 follows an alignment built in the early 2000s bypassing it to the north).

Very cool, though I should have realized that -- when you type Marine World Parkway into Gmaps, it returns Lewis Brown Drive. :pan:

inkyatari

Uno Circle in Joliet, IL.  International Games, the creators of the card game Uno used to have their world HQ there.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

theline

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 02, 2016, 09:17:32 AM
There is a Packard Street between 8 and 7 Mile in Detroit.  There is a crap ton of Oldsmobile (Ave, Street, Road) around the country...Waterford Township comes to mind.  You also have a Studebaker Street in South Bend, IN.

South Bend also has a major street named Bendix Drive, which runs by the former Bendix plant, now Honeywell Aerospace. Studebaker Street doesn't run near the former location of the Studebaker plant, so perhaps the street was named for Clem Studebaker, rather than the company.

HTM Duke

Hardees Dr in Manassas Park, VA, where a Roy Rogers now lines the street.
List of routes: Traveled | Clinched

paulthemapguy

Quote from: cl94 on July 03, 2016, 10:08:58 PM
An extension of that are towns/hamlets/villages named for businesses that no longer exist. Eagle Mills, NY is one and there are tons of others.

That's what I thought of too!  Another example of this is Naplate, Illinois https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naplate,_Illinois
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: paulthemapguy on July 05, 2016, 10:40:40 PM
Quote from: cl94 on July 03, 2016, 10:08:58 PM
An extension of that are towns/hamlets/villages named for businesses that no longer exist. Eagle Mills, NY is one and there are tons of others.

That's what I thought of too!  Another example of this is Naplate, Illinois https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naplate,_Illinois

There's a couple of Prescott Rd's, a Greenwich Rd, and Greenwich-Enfield Rd. in the area of Quabbin Reservoir in MA (all 3 of those towns were flooded and are now submerged in the reservoir). 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

TR69

There is an upscale outdoor mall on the northeast side of Louisville that, when built, was called the Summit. Its mailing address was Summit Plaza Drive.

Since then, the name of the mall has changed to the Paddock (change in ownership, maybe?) but the mailing address remains Summit Plaza Drive.

This may be somewhat of a cheat, though, since "Summit Plaza Drive" isn't an actual through street -- it's really just the mall's mailing address.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Summit+Plaza+Dr,+Louisville,+KY+40241/@38.3076112,-85.5789542,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x88699e7204d55be9:0xe39ccc28bf5260d2!8m2!3d38.307607!4d-85.5767655

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.