News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Missouri

Started by Revive 755, April 22, 2009, 12:39:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

STLmapboy

I don't get over to KC a ton, so I figured I'd asked this here. Why does the US-71 freeway stop between 51st/63rd and Meyer/75th? It looks like a Texas-style "frontage lanes only" setup with plenty of room to build mainlanes. Is it NIMBYism?
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

US71

Quote from: STLmapboy on November 03, 2020, 09:24:26 AM
I don't get over to KC a ton, so I figured I'd asked this here. Why does the US-71 freeway stop between 51st/63rd and Meyer/75th? It looks like a Texas-style "frontage lanes only" setup with plenty of room to build mainlanes. Is it NIMBYism?

Sort of.

https://www.kcur.org/community/2014-06-03/highway-71-and-the-road-to-compromise
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

ChiMilNet

Quote from: US71 on November 03, 2020, 09:52:39 AM
Quote from: STLmapboy on November 03, 2020, 09:24:26 AM

Sort of.

https://www.kcur.org/community/2014-06-03/highway-71-and-the-road-to-compromise

There is a court order preventing the construction of full interchanges at those locations. Unfortunately, those have become very accident prone over the years. As you have already noticed, there is ample room for freeway lanes at those spots, and I am certain this was clearly done on purpose. IMO, it is only a matter of time before the inevitable happens and that the freeway is fully completed and the resulting extension of I-49 North into Downtown KC. It seems it would actually increase safety, especially at those intersections, to move the through traffic into freeway lanes. Of course, right now, with MoDOT's money woes, it may be a stretch for much to happen there at all anytime in the immediate future, even if the court order were removed.

rte66man

When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

The Ghostbuster

Maybe someday Interstate 49 will connect with Interstates 70 and 670. But that day seems to be very far into the future.

Plutonic Panda

Looks like 41 bridges in northern Missouri will be replaced to the tune of about 36 million which seems like a good deal. Almost hard to believe.

https://www.equipmentworld.com/missouri-dot-41-poor-rated-bridges-project/

Ned Weasel

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 06, 2020, 01:08:07 PM
Maybe someday Interstate 49 will connect with Interstates 70 and 670. But that day seems to be very far into the future.

I don't know if it's possible for a horse to be more dead.  Meanwhile, other 2DIs are just fine ending at 3DIs.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

US71

Quote from: stridentweasel on November 16, 2020, 08:28:29 PM

I don't know if it's possible for a horse to be more dead.  Meanwhile, other 2DIs are just fine ending at 3DIs.

Dead to the point of puree? ;)

sparker

Perhaps a generation or so down the line when the original parties to the legal action that resulted in the court order have long gone, the matter would be revisited -- but with very extensive community mitigation, such as a full cut-and cover freeway facility capped with a neighborhood plaza/open-air market, or other beneficial and appropriate land use for the neighborhood.  But it certainly can't be fun for the local population to (a) have to cross the widely divided surface arterial during peak commute times, and, correspondingly (b) have to breathe the exhaust fumes of lines of vehicles stopped at the signals.  And except in activist circles, the temporal joy of "dancing on the grave" of the interrupted freeway -- or even "sticking it to" suburban commuters might have worn off a decade or so down the line.  IMO, the situation will be addressed again at some point -- but the alternate outcome of razing the rest of the existing US 71/Watkins facility (which apparently has been suggested by some) would be an inordinate expense in itself and would have the consequence of shifting traffic over to the already congested I-70/435 combination. 

mvak36

https://krcgtv.com/news/local/new-details-from-modot-on-rocheport-i-70-bridge-construction

The Missouri Department of Transportation says work on the new Interstate 70 bridge over the Missouri River at Rocheport will begin in late 2021.

The Missouri Highways and Transportation Commission is scheduled to award that contract in July 2021.

The bridge is expected to be open to traffic in 2024.

In a press release, Project Director Brandi Baldwin says they are already working toward the start of construction. "Last December, we started the re-evaluation of an environmental study that had been completed for the bridge in 2005," Baldwin said. "In March, we conducted geological testing and survey gathering that provided valuable information about the area's rock and soil stability."

MoDOT states they want to build the bridge for under $240 million.

The current bridge was built in 1960.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

SkyPesos

Anyone can confirm that the Watkins portion of US 71 has exit numbers? I see that google maps has them labeled, but it's not on either street view or Wikipedia's exits list. The I-70/670 interchange is marked as 196. Also those exit numbers seem to be a continuation of I-49's mileage, instead of US 71's. US 71 is at mile 198 at that point.

Something interesting I realized, if for some reason Modot wants to combine I-29 and 49 into a single route, and they simply add 200 to all of I-29's exit numbers, that estimate would only be under 1 as the I-35/I-29 interchange is milepost 201 with I-49. Better than being over 16 like on another certain highway in another state ;)

The Ghostbuster

Back in 1965, there was a proposal to extend Interstate 29 down the present (and future) sections of Interstate 49 along the US 71 corridor to New Orleans. However, given that existing Interstate 49 presently exists east of Interstates 35 and 45, and west of Interstate 55, I think the 49 designation for the corridor is a better one than if it had been Interstate 29.

US71

Quote from: SkyPesos on January 05, 2021, 01:40:37 PM
Anyone can confirm that the Watkins portion of US 71 has exit numbers? I see that google maps has them labeled, but it's not on either street view or Wikipedia's exits list. The I-70/670 interchange is marked as 196. Also those exit numbers seem to be a continuation of I-49's mileage, instead of US 71's. US 71 is at mile 198 at that point.

Something interesting I realized, if for some reason Modot wants to combine I-29 and 49 into a single route, and they simply add 200 to all of I-29's exit numbers, that estimate would only be under 1 as the I-35/I-29 interchange is milepost 201 with I-49. Better than being over 16 like on another certain highway in another state ;)

To my knowledge, no they don't.  I think, in part, because US 71 mileage =/= I-49 mileage.

edwaleni

Quote from: sparker on November 17, 2020, 01:05:46 PM

Perhaps a generation or so down the line when the original parties to the legal action that resulted in the court order have long gone, the matter would be revisited -- but with very extensive community mitigation, such as a full cut-and cover freeway facility capped with a neighborhood plaza/open-air market, or other beneficial and appropriate land use for the neighborhood.  But it certainly can't be fun for the local population to (a) have to cross the widely divided surface arterial during peak commute times, and, correspondingly (b) have to breathe the exhaust fumes of lines of vehicles stopped at the signals.  And except in activist circles, the temporal joy of "dancing on the grave" of the interrupted freeway -- or even "sticking it to" suburban commuters might have worn off a decade or so down the line.  IMO, the situation will be addressed again at some point -- but the alternate outcome of razing the rest of the existing US 71/Watkins facility (which apparently has been suggested by some) would be an inordinate expense in itself and would have the consequence of shifting traffic over to the already congested I-70/435 combination.

I would agree with you on the cut and cover approach. Missouri typically hasn't funded anything this extensive in the past. Usually cities in or near hilly or mountainous terrain will do this. (Like the I-90 Mercer Island cut and cover in Seattle)

I think a new road could be lowered more between 51st down to 75th and I am sure that suggestion has been pureed to death. Putting a park over it would definitely speed things up when it comes to community approval.

I-39

Its just incredibly dangerous and stupid they can't just remove those at-grade lights and extend I-49 into downtown.

US71

Quote from: I-39 on January 11, 2021, 03:16:58 PM
Its just incredibly dangerous and stupid they can't just remove those at-grade lights and extend I-49 into downtown.

Someday, maybe they will, But no time soon

CapeCodder

Quote from: US71 on November 16, 2020, 09:53:53 PM

More like glue

US71

Quote from: CapeCodder on January 13, 2021, 05:26:19 PM
Quote from: US71 on November 16, 2020, 09:53:53 PM

More like glue

Puree

cjk374

Quote from: mvak36 on November 22, 2020, 01:05:22 AM
https://krcgtv.com/news/local/new-details-from-modot-on-rocheport-i-70-bridge-construction

The Missouri Department of Transportation says work on the new Interstate 70 bridge over the Missouri River at Rocheport will begin in late 2021.

The Missouri Highways and Transportation Commission is scheduled to award that contract in July 2021.

In a press release, Project Director Brandi Baldwin says they are already working toward the start of construction. "Last December, we started the re-evaluation of an environmental study that had been completed for the bridge in 2005," Baldwin said. "In March, we conducted geological testing and survey gathering that provided valuable information about the area's rock and soil stability."

I haven't been to Rocheport in 20+ years. What is wrong with that bridge? Does it need widening or is it worn out that bad after only 61 years?
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

mvak36

Quote from: cjk374 on January 14, 2021, 07:10:44 AM

I haven't been to Rocheport in 20+ years. What is wrong with that bridge? Does it need widening or is it worn out that bad after only 61 years?
Yes. Its rated in poor condition and is getting close to the end of its life. Even a rehab is pretty expensive on that bridge.

Here's the project website: https://www.modot.org/RocheportBridge

edwaleni

Quote from: mvak36 on January 14, 2021, 07:21:21 AM
Quote from: cjk374 on January 14, 2021, 07:10:44 AM

Yes. Its rated in poor condition and is getting close to the end of its life. Even a rehab is pretty expensive on that bridge.

Here's the project website: https://www.modot.org/RocheportBridge

I am very curious how they are going to get a new bridge built without requiring more extensive cutting into the bluffs on the east side of the river.

The road currently loses its median to fit the current bridge. If they build a replacement right next to it on both sides, it will require a small curve or a cut in the bluff.

If they do an incomplete replacement on each side of the current, divert traffic to them, demolish the old one, then complete the section in the middle to complete the final product, then perhaps no cutting will be needed.

With it being a design/build, I am not expecting anything significant architecturally. Hopefully it won't be a total chase to the bottom dollar.

I-39

What happened to the full rebuild/widen of I-70 across the state? Has that been put on the back burner due to funding issues?

mvak36

Quote from: I-39 on January 14, 2021, 09:38:41 AM
What happened to the full rebuild/widen of I-70 across the state? Has that been put on the back burner due to funding issues?
Yeah they don't have enough funds for that. When they tried to pass the sales tax increase back in 2014, they said it would cost 2.5 billion to widen it across the state, if I remember it correctly. Not sure how much that is now with inflation.

They are doing the Climbing lanes project and this Rocheport bridge. Not sure if there are any other projects after that. I don't know if they even have enough funds now to even do piecemeal projects like they have done for I-65 in Indiana.

kphoger

Quote from: mvak36 on January 14, 2021, 10:04:48 AM

Quote from: I-39 on January 14, 2021, 09:38:41 AM

Yeah they don't have enough funds for that. When they tried to pass the sales tax increase back in 2014, they said it would cost 2.5 billion to widen it across the state, if I remember it correctly. Not sure how much that is now with inflation.

They are doing the Climbing lanes project and this Rocheport bridge. Not sure if there are any other projects after that. I don't know if they even have enough funds now to even do piecemeal projects like they have done for I-65 in Indiana.

Missouri.  Enough money for their highways.  Ha! good one...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.