News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Massachusetts

Started by hotdogPi, October 12, 2013, 04:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mariethefoxy

they should extend 495 along the MA 25 freeway, that should fix that wierd 3 way ending they have right now where 25 195 and 495 all end at eachother.

shadyjay

Quote from: mariethefoxy on September 13, 2016, 08:34:01 PM
they should extend 495 along the MA 25 freeway, that should fix that wierd 3 way ending they have right now where 25 195 and 495 all end at eachother.

Or even simpler, extend I-195 east over MA 25 to the Bourne Bridge.  That way, you'd only have to change mile markers/exit numbers on the MA 25 portion.  Extending I-495 "southward" would create some 90+ miles of renumbered exits and adjusting mileage.

PHLBOS

Quote from: shadyjay on September 13, 2016, 09:50:14 PMOr even simpler, extend I-195 east over MA 25 to the Bourne Bridge.  That way, you'd only have to change mile markers/exit numbers on the MA 25 portion.  Extending I-495 "southward" would create some 90+ 120 miles of renumbered exits and adjusting mileage.
FTFY  :sombrero:

I do agree with your suggestion but would even go further as towards eliminating the MA 25 designation along that highway stretch (with the option to have MA 25 go back to its original corridor (current MA 225)). 
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

Quote from: shadyjay on September 13, 2016, 09:50:14 PM
Quote from: mariethefoxy on September 13, 2016, 08:34:01 PM

Or even simpler, extend I-195 east over MA 25 to the Bourne Bridge.  That way, you'd only have to change mile markers/exit numbers on the MA 25 portion.  Extending I-495 "southward" would create some 90+ miles of renumbered exits and adjusting mileage.
Also, extending I-195, which is a spur, over MA 25 wouldn't conflict with Interstate numbering rules, whereas extending I-495 would.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Alps

Let's reconcile the Fictional discussion to something real: Why wasn't MA 25 included in the Interstate highway network? Is it because it was generated later than I-495 and no one wanted to renumber exits? I-195 isn't the through road, so maybe that's why 195 doesn't go that way.

EDIT: The 1986 topo map available in Historic Aerials puts an I-495 shield with MA 25 as it's Under Construction. So maybe it was considered and rejected for the reasons above.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Alps on September 14, 2016, 10:58:59 PM
Let's reconcile the Fictional discussion to something real: Why wasn't MA 25 included in the Interstate highway network? Is it because it was generated later than I-495 and no one wanted to renumber exits? I-195 isn't the through road, so maybe that's why 195 doesn't go that way.
IIRC, the portion of I-495 between I-95 & MA 24 that opened in the early 80s was originally planned to be a westerly extension of MA 25; which, back then (70s), ran from MA 24 in Bridgewater to US 6/MA 28 (current Exit 2) in Wareham just east of I-195. 

Both the existing stretch between I-195 & MA 24 and the then-unbuilt stretch between MA 24 & I-95 were added to the Interstate system (as I-495) when the originally-planned/proposed stretches of I-95 & 695 in the immediate Greater Boston area were cancelled by the early-to-mid 70s via an Interstate mileage trade. 

Once the stretch between I-95 & MA 24 was completed circa 1982, I-495's interchanges were all renumbered (to the current ones) to reflect that change/extension to I-195 in Wareham (utilizing the existing MA 25 stretch east of MA 24).

As mentioned earlier & prior to 1988(?), MA 25 ended just east of I-195 at US 6/MA 28 (current Exit 2) in Wareham.  Plans for an eastward extension date back to the 1960s (one proposal had an extension running all the way to MA 3 in Plymouth) but was continually delayed due to either NIMBYs or environmental concerns (mainly traversing through lucrative cranberry bogs) until the final extension was approved.

As towards the reason why all of MA 25 wasn't redesignated as an Interstate (be it 195 or 495); such may have been due either the then-unlikelihood of 25 ever being extended eastward (for the above-mentioned reasons) and/or there wasn't enough designated/allotted Interstate mileage available to be added or traded.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

AMLNet49

MA 25 is not up to interstate standards in several spots where the state compromised with cranberry growers to push the highway through, mainly relating to shoulder width and salt runoff. An 6 lane interstate through the corridor was pretty much impossible, a 6 lane state route freeway was the only real plausible solution.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: AMLNet49 on September 16, 2016, 11:27:48 AM
MA 25 is not up to interstate standards in several spots where the state compromised with cranberry growers to push the highway through, mainly relating to shoulder width and salt runoff. An 6 lane interstate through the corridor was pretty much impossible, a 6 lane state route freeway was the only real plausible solution.

It is a "Reduced Salt Area", after all.

Beeper1

What part of MA-25 isn't up to standards?  It's 6 lanes with full width shoulders, and the on/off-ramps all seem interstate standard with full acceleration/deceleration lanes.

The only part that wouldn't be up to Interstate quality is the Bourne Bridge, which is technically part of MA-28, not 25.  It seems fully interstate-designation ready from 195/495 to exit 3 in Buzzards Bay.

roadman

Quote from: bob7374 on September 09, 2016, 11:51:06 PM
Quote from: kefkafloyd on September 09, 2016, 07:06:03 PM
Some of the new time-to-travel signs are active. Today the ones on US 3 were working. They may start coming live in your areas soon.
According to a post on the BostonRoads Facebook group, a MassDOT spokesman indicates that most, if not all, of the signs should be activated by November.
Most of the travel time signs on Route 24 are about to be activated:

http://blog.mass.gov/transportation/massdot-highway/massdot-launches-real-time-traffic-displays-in-route-24-corridor/
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

bob7374

Quote from: roadman on September 20, 2016, 04:03:21 PM
Quote from: bob7374 on September 09, 2016, 11:51:06 PM
Quote from: kefkafloyd on September 09, 2016, 07:06:03 PM
Some of the new time-to-travel signs are active. Today the ones on US 3 were working. They may start coming live in your areas soon.
According to a post on the BostonRoads Facebook group, a MassDOT spokesman indicates that most, if not all, of the signs should be activated by November.
Most of the travel time signs on Route 24 are about to be activated:

http://blog.mass.gov/transportation/massdot-highway/massdot-launches-real-time-traffic-displays-in-route-24-corridor/
All the signs are up along MA 3 from Bourne to Braintree, so these should be activated soon. Will be interesting to see if they post the planned signs in the I-95 Add-A-Lane work zone area in Needham, or wait until construction is complete. Planned signs are still needed to be placed along I-93 /SE Expressway at Neponset Circle (NB) and Mass Ave. (SB) before all the I-93 signs can be activated.

For those who may have not seen the placed signs to be activated along MA 24, go to:
http://www.gribblenation.net/mass21/miscsigns.html#ma24signs

rushfan01760

Looks like part of I-95 (Rte. 128) in Needham will be closed for a weekend at the beginning of November...

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2016/09/22/route-128-closure-highland-avenue-bridge-95-shut-down/

PHLBOS

GPS does NOT equal GOD

hotdogPi

Quote from: PHLBOS on September 22, 2016, 10:14:25 AM
Quote from: rushfan01760 on September 22, 2016, 09:23:45 AM
Looks like part of I-95 (Rte. 128) in Needham will be closed for a weekend at the beginning of November...
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2016/09/22/route-128-closure-highland-avenue-bridge-95-shut-down/
Say Sayonara to the old cement-arched overpasses:

I don't get it. There's nothing named Sayonara in the area.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Rothman

Quote from: 1 on September 22, 2016, 10:26:01 AM
Quote from: PHLBOS on September 22, 2016, 10:14:25 AM
Say Sayonara to the old cement-arched overpasses:

I don't get it. There's nothing named Sayonara in the area.

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

The Nature Boy

Route 128 getting priority over the I-95 designation. Boston, never change.

bob7374

Quote from: The Nature Boy on September 22, 2016, 11:03:31 AM

Some progress though. While both the Globe and TV news stories headlined the closure would be on 'Route 128' they did later often refer to the route as '128/I-95.' Perhaps someday they'll even report it as I-95/128...

roadman

Quote from: bob7374 on September 23, 2016, 11:09:53 AM
Quote from: The Nature Boy on September 22, 2016, 11:03:31 AM

Some progress though. While both the Globe and TV news stories headlined the closure would be on 'Route 128' they did later often refer to the route as '128/I-95.' Perhaps someday they'll even report it as I-95/128...
The announcer on WBZ radio Thursday morning stated "on Route 128.  Or, if you prefer, 95."

bob7374

MassDOT has activated their 'Go Time' (Real Time Traffic) signs along the MA 3 corridor from Braintree to Bourne. Here's one of the activated signs heading south after the MA 18 exit:

Images of other activated signs I took today can be found in the MA 3 and MA 24 sections of my Misc. Mass. Sign Photos page:
http://www.gribblenation.net/mass21/miscsigns.html

SidS1045

Quote from: bob7374 on September 09, 2016, 11:51:06 PMAccording to a post on the BostonRoads Facebook group, a MassDOT spokesman indicates that most, if not all, of the signs should be activated by November.

I have a feeling the ones on I-93 north of Boston are probably within days of being activated.  They may have already disconnected the sensor feeds to at least some of the trailer signs, as the one near the Park Street exit in Stoneham has been stuck at 7 MILES - 8 MINUTES for the last few days, regardless of traffic volume.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

bob7374

Quote from: SidS1045 on October 13, 2016, 11:02:33 AM
Quote from: bob7374 on September 09, 2016, 11:51:06 PMAccording to a post on the BostonRoads Facebook group, a MassDOT spokesman indicates that most, if not all, of the signs should be activated by November.

I have a feeling the ones on I-93 north of Boston are probably within days of being activated.  They may have already disconnected the sensor feeds to at least some of the trailer signs, as the one near the Park Street exit in Stoneham has been stuck at 7 MILES - 8 MINUTES for the last few days, regardless of traffic volume.
Meanwhile, the portable VMS sign with traffic times was still on just prior to the activated sign in the photo above.

roadman

Nope, the trailer signs use a different activation system than the new permanent ones will.

SectorZ

Quote from: roadman on October 13, 2016, 11:43:33 AM

Nope, the trailer signs use a different activation system than the new permanent ones will.

Curious to know roadman, where do the portable signs get their info from?

roadman

Quote from: SectorZ on October 13, 2016, 10:21:35 PM
Quote from: roadman on October 13, 2016, 11:43:33 AM

Curious to know roadman, where do the portable signs get their info from?
The system the portable signs get their information from is similar to the Bluetooth/Bluetoad system being used for the permanent signs.  However, the actual detection equipment for the portable signs is also portable.  For future maintenance and reliability reasons, it would not be practical to re-use the portable detection system with the permanent signs.

bob7374

It is unlikely the I-93 signs will be activated in their entirety any time soon since there are two signs along the SE Expressway in Boston yet to be placed. I did spot one sign on I-95 South in Needham that was partially activated last evening, but none of the others south of there were on.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.