U.S. 301 toll road project in Delaware

Started by Alex, March 22, 2009, 11:21:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonytone

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 18, 2019, 11:15:29 AM
Because we often think of things as "What have you done for me yesterday", we forget how long these projects have actually been talked about.

Here's DelDOT's website info regarding public meetings.  Notice the dates of the meetings: https://www.deldot.gov/information/projects/us301/us301Archive/pages/public.shtml

As for Maryland having any involvement in the project, DelDOT also has webpages with that info, including detailing at least a dozen officials being involved:
https://www.deldot.gov/information/projects/us301/us301Archive/pages/toll_diversion_wg.shtml
https://www.deldot.gov/information/projects/us301/us301Archive/pages/toll_div_wg_members.shtml

Do these names ring any bells?

US 301 Toll Diversion Working Group Members
Bonny Anderson, Resident
Warwick Area

John Bunnell, Mayor
Town of Cecilton

Michael Cooper, President
Cecilton Volunteer Fire Company

Roy Crow, County Commissioner
Kent County Board of Commissioners

Capt. Bill Dofflemyer, Commander
Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Division
Maryland State Police

Barry Janney, Sheriff
Cecil County Sheriff's Office

Bill Kiessling, Mayor
Town of Chesapeake City

Richard Lindsay, District Engineering, District 2
Maryland State Highway Administration

William Manlove, County Commissioner
Cecil County Board of Commissioners

Harry Pisapia, Mayor
Town of Galena

Chris Powell, Chief
Galena Volunteer Fire Company

John F. Price, Sheriff
Kent County Sheriff's Office

Douglas Simmons, Deputy Administrator
Maryland State Highway Administration

Dennis Simpson, Deputy Director, Capital Planning
Maryland Transportation Authority

Mark Tudor, Project Manager
Promoting Cities since 1998!

PHLBOS

Because we often think of things as "What have you done for me yesterday", we forget how long these projects have actually been talked about.

Here's DelDOT's website info regarding public meetings.  Notice the dates of the meetings: https://www.deldot.gov/information/projects/us301/us301Archive/pages/public.shtml

As for Maryland having any involvement in the project, DelDOT also has webpages with that info, including detailing at least a dozen officials being involved:
https://www.deldot.gov/information/projects/us301/us301Archive/pages/toll_diversion_wg.shtml
https://www.deldot.gov/information/projects/us301/us301Archive/pages/toll_div_wg_members.shtml
Two items/remedies notably absent from all the above are:
1. Realigning & extending Middletown Warwick Rd. to existing US 301 in MD & build a new intersection/interchange.
2. Placing the mainline AET gantries inside the southernmost interchange (Exit 2) rather than south of it.

Either one of those solutions would keep the through-truck traffic off the smaller, local roads in Cecil County MD.

Yes, I get the fact that the new US 301 expressway in DE needed to be a tolled facility in order for such to become a reality sooner rather than later; I am not disputing such.  But such should never come at the expense of replacing/eliminating the main-free through-fare (stopping Middletown Warwick Rd. at Strawberry Lane).

And even if such has been discussed/planned for decade(s); extortion is still extortion.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 18, 2019, 12:05:06 PM

Two items/remedies notably absent from all the above are:
1. Realigning & extending Middletown Warwick Rd. to existing US 301 in MD & build a new intersection/interchange.
2. Placing the mainline AET gantries inside the southernmost interchange (Exit 2) rather than south of it.

Either one of those solutions would keep the through-truck traffic off the smaller, local roads in Cecil County MD.

Yes, I get the fact that the new US 301 expressway in DE needed to be a tolled facility in order for such to become a reality sooner rather than later; I am not disputing such.  But such should never come at the expense of replacing/eliminating the main-free through-fare (stopping Middletown Warwick Rd. at Strawberry Lane).

And even if such has been discussed/planned for decade(s); extortion is still extortion.

Upthread it was asked if Maryland had any input into the project.  Using the web, I showed that clearly Maryland had plenty of input into the project.  They all either agreed to the tolling concept, or had the opportunity to disagree with it. 

So if any items or remedies were excluded, that's something that should've been talked about and discussed long ago.

vdeane

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 18, 2019, 09:27:38 AM
When the Delaware Turnpike (I-95) first opened, the tollbooths in Newark weren't the only ones in the system.  Southbounders that exited off earlier paid a lower toll at the ramps.  Northbounders that entered onto I-95 beyond the mainline toll plaza had to pay at separate but lower toll at the booths upon entering.  As mentioned before in other threads, the original plan was that once the bonds that built the road were paid off; all of the tollbooths were to be taken down and the Delaware Turnpike was to become a free-interstate.  The removal of the I-95 ramp tolls was the first phase of such a phase-out/conversion but the final phase (the removal of the mainline tolls), sadly IMHO, never happened.  And this was back when the tolls were much lower & reasonable.
With respect to I-95, if I had set up tolls back then, I would have put booths inside exit 3, with ramp tolls to/from the west for exits 3 and 4, and ramp tolls to/from the east for exit 4.  Such would not have targeted primarily out of state traffic and, had it been done, I-95 would probably be toll-free today (since the two-stage plan they had created an irresistible cash cow).  I wonder if US 301 will go the same way.

I-95 has (barely) enough interchanges for a ticket system, but with the exits so close, they probably didn't want to have people go through that many booths.

As mentioned earlier, a couple of the direct-shunpike component routes south of Exit 2 have had long-standing through-truck prohibitions on them.  I don't see such changing anytime soon.  For cars traveling south on US 301 but exiting prior to the mainline AET gantry; one still pays a toll, though much lower, upon exiting.  Such action isn't a full shunpike per se, just a cost savings.
But my point was, with respect to your proposal to put the gantries inside the interchange, they would be easy to bypass: just get off, stop at the light if needed, then go straight and get back on.  Certainly easier and more convenient than going down the back roads of MD.

Speaking of the ramp tolls, they sure disincentive stopping for food/gas on the side of the road, because then you're incurring an even HIGHER toll.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 18, 2019, 12:35:20 PMUpthread it was asked if Maryland had any input into the project.  Using the web, I showed that clearly Maryland had plenty of input into the project.  They all either agreed to the tolling concept, or had the opportunity to disagree with it. 

So if any items or remedies were excluded, that's something that should've been talked about and discussed long ago.
While I agree with your last sentence in principle; it is painfully obvious based on real-world observations in the posted-article upthread (dated this past Wednesday), that talking/discussing about it a lot is much different than actually experiencing it.

Quote from: vdeane on January 18, 2019, 02:11:14 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on January 18, 2019, 09:27:38 AMAs mentioned earlier, a couple of the direct-shunpike component routes south of Exit 2 have had long-standing through-truck prohibitions on them.  I don't see such changing anytime soon.  For cars traveling south on US 301 but exiting prior to the mainline AET gantry; one still pays a toll, though much lower, upon exiting.  Such action isn't a full shunpike per se, just a cost savings.
But my point was, with respect to your proposal to put the gantries inside the interchange, they would be easy to bypass: just get off, stop at the light if needed, then go straight and get back on.  Certainly easier and more convenient than going down the back roads of MD.
While true, given that the ramp intersections at DE 299 are signalized; if more vehicles attempt to do such a maneuver, such would cause traffic to back-up onto the main roadway.  I.e. a smaller version of what has been happening along I-95 southbound approaching DE 896 (does one keep moving & pay the higher toll or does one exit off to save $3 but sits at a traffic light?).

A paired-remedy to discourage the maneuver that you described would be to have warning/regulatory signs posted at the ramp & intersection as well as stationed patrols at the interchange.  IMHO, such would be more productive than having patrols on Wilson St./Strawberry Ln. and Sassfrass Rd.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

ixnay

If the new 301 had remained free, one assumes that it would still be u/c at this point.  In that scenario, would the current gov't shutdown have brought construction to a halt?

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ixnay on January 19, 2019, 08:28:02 AM
If the new 301 had remained free, one assumes that it would still be u/c at this point.  In that scenario, would the current gov't shutdown have brought construction to a halt?

ixnay

No. Why would it?  Is any other road construction project in the country (hundreds of not thousands) affected by the current shutdown?

Also, most projects are contracted to private contractors, so even state shutdowns may not affect construction. That all depnds on what the governor wants to do though.

ixnay

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 19, 2019, 09:11:52 AM
Quote from: ixnay on January 19, 2019, 08:28:02 AM

ixnay

No. Why would it?  Is any other road construction project in the country (hundreds of not thousands) affected by the current shutdown?

Also, most projects are contracted to private contractors, so even state shutdowns may not affect construction. That all depnds on what the governor wants to do though.

Clarification:  I was mainly referring to the release of money.  When road appropriations are enacted, when is the money actually distributed to the state(s)/counties/municipalities involved?  Immediately, and all at once, or incrementally on a schedule?

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

MASTERNC

PHLBOS

Quote from: MASTERNC on January 22, 2019, 08:17:46 AM
Well it does seem like a lot of traffic is trying to avoid the tolls

https://www.myeasternshoremd.com/kent_county_news/spotlight/as-bypass-opens-warwick-sees-increased-traffic/article_4a5bc064-606e-5b81-9f25-909f0c8eb65a.html
I hate to break it to you but that Kent County News article is the exact same article (& author) as the Cecil Daily article I posted a few days ago (reposted below)

As 301 bypass opens, Warwick sees increased traffic.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

hbelkins

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 22, 2019, 02:29:07 PM

https://www.myeasternshoremd.com/kent_county_news/spotlight/as-bypass-opens-warwick-sees-increased-traffic/article_4a5bc064-606e-5b81-9f25-909f0c8eb65a.html
I hate to break to you but that Kent County News article is the exact same article (& author) as the Cecil Daily article I posted a few days ago (reposted below)

Probably under the same ownership. I see this happen often with Gannett and McClatchy stories (for the big chains) and also some smaller, regional chains.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ixnay

Quote from: hbelkins on January 22, 2019, 02:55:41 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on January 22, 2019, 02:29:07 PM

I hate to break to you but that Kent County News article is the exact same article (& author) as the Cecil Daily article I posted a few days ago (reposted below)

Probably under the same ownership. I see this happen often with Gannett and McClatchy stories (for the big chains) and also some smaller, regional chains.

The Kent News and the Cecil Whig (powering cecildaily.com) are part of the Adams Publishing Group.

https://adamspg.com/markets/

https://adamspg.com/markets/#marylandhttps://adamspg.com/markets/#maryland

ixnay

sprjus4

This. This is what is complete BS.

"With active enforcement, we believe the trucking community will understand that avoiding the toll is not an option."

Wow, that's a bold move to make. Telling truckers they aren't allow to bypass a toll.

IMHO, I hope there is some legal action taken on all this scandal. Delaware has stated before, their intent is to rip truckers off and that most revenue would come from their high tolls, mainly the out of state ones.

seicer

There are alternate routes for trucks to take that don't involve rumbling down local routes not designed for them. Enforcement happens in other areas of the nation where trucks try to shunpike to varying degrees. Nothing new.

Tonytone

Quote from: seicer on January 22, 2019, 09:27:45 PM
There are alternate routes for trucks to take that don't involve rumbling down local routes not designed for them. Enforcement happens in other areas of the nation where trucks try to shunpike to varying degrees. Nothing new.
I disagree, this was a free route before the highway was built, saying that you HAVE to pay the toll is pretty unreasonable, I could see if they said "We have a toll route that is much faster but you have to pay this amount"  or you can take the free way & wait at all the lights & traffic. Do you suggest the trucks take I-95 or any other route that leads from MD to Delaware? How would this argument be if cars couldn't bypass the highway? Would people be ok with paying $4 just to go to amazon to go to work, or the home depot or to get some food? It's unjust. When they banned trucks from route 4 in Delaware, it made sense, why because the trucks were clearly shunpiking the toll. But heres the catch..... 896, & 40 are right there & guess what, they are free to use & no bans are on it against trucks. So I assume Delaware will be filing a lot of lawsuit paperwork, maybe thats what they wanted, so they HAVE to build the free route, who knows, we will see in the coming months.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

Duke87

The thing is, the roads in question have had thru truck bans since long before the toll road was even planned. It's not like those bans exist to force trucks to pay the toll. They exist for reasons of roadway geometry and noise control.

More the failing here seems to be with the design of the tollway itself - namely that there is no way to get from 301 in MD to old 301 in DE without paying a toll or using these other back roads that never had a reason to see much traffic before. If they had built a half diamond interchange at Strawberry Ln, or placed the mainline gantry north of exit 2 and made that the "last exit before toll" (or even simply allowed exiting there from the south to incur a significantly reduced rate), then this would not be an issue.

But, this would have meant making it easier to shunpike - the current setup is clearly designed to maximize the inconvenience incurred doing so in order to maximize revenue.

I will also note that a lot of the traffic through Warwick (at least southbound traffic) is likely from vehicles following outdated GPSes. Said GPS will tell them to continue straight down old 301 (which as far as the device knows is still 301), and the driver will then do so until suddenly they are confronted with a T intersection that renders them unable to continue following the GPSes instructions. At this point the driver will likely make a right turn both because it's easier than a left and because it goes towards Maryland (or perhaps simply because it's what the vehicles in front of them seem to be doing), and then after a little "recalculating...", their GPS will route them through Warwick and back to 301 via Sassafrass Rd.

I do find it interesting, though, that Cecilton and Galena are complaining about increased traffic - outdated GPSes aren't doing that, that's people deliberately shunpiking. And likely via their own creativity as well - if I ask Google for directions from Wilmington to Queenstown and check "avoid tolls", it routes me down DE 1 to DE 72 to DE 71 to old 301 and through Warwick... not via 213
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

ixnay

I rarely use U.S. 40 between MD 781 (Delancy Rd.) and Glasgow, DE.  Is that stretch signed as prohibiting thru trucks?

ixnay

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ixnay on January 23, 2019, 06:11:17 AM
I rarely use U.S. 40 between MD 781 (Delancy Rd.) and Glasgow, DE.  Is that stretch signed as prohibiting thru trucks?

ixnay

No.

ixnay

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 23, 2019, 06:13:33 AM

ixnay

No.

How doggedly do the authorities enforce the truck bans on 40 and Christina Parkway?

ixnay

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ixnay on January 26, 2019, 08:15:03 AM

ixnay

No.

How doggedly do the authorities enforce the truck bans on 40 and Christina Parkway?

ixnay

What is your obsession with thinking there's a truck ban on Rt. 40?

Alps

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 26, 2019, 08:47:45 AM

ixnay

No.

ixnay

Calm, calm. I checked Maryland's truck restrictions and there are none on 40 at the border. Delaware restrictions overweight trucks to those heading to/from the south on 896 but does not appear to restrict normal-weight trucks. I did find an article naming DE 4 and DE 281, but no mention of 40. So let's just put this to bed with facts. (As far as DE 4/Christina Pkwy., enforcement is apparently not specifically targeted, but they will stop any trucks they notice if a patrol car happens to be on the route.)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Alps on January 26, 2019, 11:18:22 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 26, 2019, 08:47:45 AM

ixnay

No.

ixnay

Calm, calm. I checked Maryland's truck restrictions and there are none on 40 at the border. Delaware restrictions overweight trucks to those heading to/from the south on 896 but does not appear to restrict normal-weight trucks. I did find an article naming DE 4 and DE 281, but no mention of 40. So let's just put this to bed with facts. (As far as DE 4/Christina Pkwy., enforcement is apparently not specifically targeted, but they will stop any trucks they notice if a patrol car happens to be on the route.)

Not irate...Just not understanding why Rt 40 keeps getting mentioned!

On my limited trips on Rt. 4, I don't recall seeing any cops out there waiting for a trucker, nor do I recall seeing any trucks pulled over.

Beltway

Troopers In Delaware, Maryland Target Commercial Vehicles Bypassing New Route 301 Toll Road
March 4, 2019

Delaware — In response to safety and citizen concerns, The Delaware State Police Commercial Motor Vehicle Enforcement Unit joined forces with the Maryland State Police Commercial Motor Vehicle Unit and conducted a joint operation to target commercial vehicles that were bypassing the new U.S. Route 301 toll road, according to Director of Public Information Sergeant Richard D. Bratz .

The two-day operation was conducted on Thursday, February 28th and Friday, March 1st. The units staggered their hours so that enforcement was done from 5:00 a.m. through midnight. During the two day operation, 85 commercial motor vehicles were stopped and found to be bypassing the tolls. As a result, 85 commercial motor vehicle inspections were conducted. 77 traffic citations and 50 written warnings were issued for various offenses. Two unsafe trucks were put out of service and one driver was placed out of service. Additional operations will be conducted in the near future.

"The mission of the Commercial Motor Vehicle Enforcement Unit (CMVEU) is to enhance highway safety by preventing commercial motor vehicle-related crashes and ensuring the safe, secure transportation of persons and property by commercial motor vehicles. We achieve this mission by conducting commercial motor vehicle Inspections, conducting traffic enforcement, completing motor carrier investigations and safety audits, and by outreach and education. During this operation, the primary goal was to keep commercial vehicles from traveling on roadways that are prohibited for their use. We have worked with DELDOT officials to ensure that there is proper signage to alert the truck drivers. We also keep an open dialogue with the drivers themselves to explain the issues caused by them using the wrong roadways. Through enforcement and education, we hope to greatly lower the number of violators which will in turn make our roadways safer,"  said Sergeant John Samis, Supervisor of the Commercial Vehicle Motor Vehicle Enforcement Unit Delaware State Police.

"We are grateful to both the Delaware State Police and Maryland State Police for their ongoing efforts to address commercial trucks who are attempting to avoid toll collection. Local roads are not intended for use by commercial traffic which negatively impacts the local communities and road conditions,"  said Secretary of Transportation Jennifer Cohan.

-----
http://firststateupdate.com/2019/03/troopers-in-delaware-maryland-target-commercial-vehicles-bypassing-new-route-301-toll-road/?fbclid=IwAR03l8m8FMNn5xlx4wBOR8SKFF7QUByoA56sXF4dQBmjmhcZpb7ldIDyZw8
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on March 05, 2019, 10:23:43 PM
Troopers In Delaware, Maryland Target Commercial Vehicles Bypassing New Route 301 Toll Road
March 4, 2019

Delaware — In response to safety and citizen concerns, The Delaware State Police Commercial Motor Vehicle Enforcement Unit joined forces with the Maryland State Police Commercial Motor Vehicle Unit and conducted a joint operation to target commercial vehicles that were bypassing the new U.S. Route 301 toll road, according to Director of Public Information Sergeant Richard D. Bratz .

The two-day operation was conducted on Thursday, February 28th and Friday, March 1st. The units staggered their hours so that enforcement was done from 5:00 a.m. through midnight. During the two day operation, 85 commercial motor vehicles were stopped and found to be bypassing the tolls. As a result, 85 commercial motor vehicle inspections were conducted. 77 traffic citations and 50 written warnings were issued for various offenses. Two unsafe trucks were put out of service and one driver was placed out of service. Additional operations will be conducted in the near future.

"The mission of the Commercial Motor Vehicle Enforcement Unit (CMVEU) is to enhance highway safety by preventing commercial motor vehicle-related crashes and ensuring the safe, secure transportation of persons and property by commercial motor vehicles. We achieve this mission by conducting commercial motor vehicle Inspections, conducting traffic enforcement, completing motor carrier investigations and safety audits, and by outreach and education. During this operation, the primary goal was to keep commercial vehicles from traveling on roadways that are prohibited for their use. We have worked with DELDOT officials to ensure that there is proper signage to alert the truck drivers. We also keep an open dialogue with the drivers themselves to explain the issues caused by them using the wrong roadways. Through enforcement and education, we hope to greatly lower the number of violators which will in turn make our roadways safer,"  said Sergeant John Samis, Supervisor of the Commercial Vehicle Motor Vehicle Enforcement Unit Delaware State Police.

"We are grateful to both the Delaware State Police and Maryland State Police for their ongoing efforts to address commercial trucks who are attempting to avoid toll collection. Local roads are not intended for use by commercial traffic which negatively impacts the local communities and road conditions,"  said Secretary of Transportation Jennifer Cohan.

-----
http://firststateupdate.com/2019/03/troopers-in-delaware-maryland-target-commercial-vehicles-bypassing-new-route-301-toll-road/?fbclid=IwAR03l8m8FMNn5xlx4wBOR8SKFF7QUByoA56sXF4dQBmjmhcZpb7ldIDyZw8
Maybe they should accept that truckers are going to avoid a high toll no matter how they like it or not. It's messed up that they're forced to pay the toll with no legal way to avoid it, and that should be illegal in itself. Not every trucker wants to pay $10 one-way, and if one is going back and fourth several times in a day, that can add up real quick, and the trucker suffers. Meanwhile, the police sit over here targeting these people who don't want to pay ridiculously expensive tolls out of their own pockets, handing out tickets like they're candy with no care or regard to the trucker himself. I'm surprised lawsuits have not been filed yet against Delaware, complete BS in my opinion. This operation needs to be shutdown and an efficient shun-piking route needs to be set up, and not force a $10 toll as one crosses the border, or a risk at a hefty fine for avoiding it.

Alps

Quote from: sprjus4 on March 05, 2019, 10:49:59 PM
Quote from: Beltway on March 05, 2019, 10:23:43 PM
March 4, 2019

-----
Maybe they should accept that truckers are going to avoid a high toll no matter how they like it or not. It's messed up that they're forced to pay the toll with no legal way to avoid it, and that should be illegal in itself. Not every trucker wants to pay $10 one-way, and if one is going back and fourth several times in a day, that can add up real quick, and the trucker suffers. Meanwhile, the police sit over here targeting these people who don't want to pay ridiculously expensive tolls out of their own pockets, handing out tickets like they're candy with no care or regard to the trucker himself. I'm surprised lawsuits have not been filed yet against Delaware, complete BS in my opinion. This operation needs to be shutdown and an efficient shun-piking route needs to be set up, and not force a $10 toll as one crosses the border, or a risk at a hefty fine for avoiding it.
Can't file a lawsuit until you're charged with something for evading the toll. It'll happen by the end of the year, I imagine.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.