News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

South Dakota county changes name

Started by bandit957, November 05, 2014, 11:48:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grzrd

Quote from: J N Winkler on November 12, 2014, 10:36:33 AM
This forum is not a representative sample of the US population at large

I get the impression that a significant number of members of this forum are also rail fans.  I live in Fulton County, Georgia, which is named after Hamilton Fulton, a surveyor for the Western & Atlantic Railroad.  Atlanta literally originated as a chosen terminus for a railroad from Atlanta to the Midwest.  Hence, the common knock on Atlanta that, "there is no there, there."

I grew up in Hall County, Georgia, which is named after Lyman Hall, one of Georgia's three signatories to the Declaration of Independence.

english si

Quote from: J N Winkler on November 12, 2014, 10:36:33 AMNew York in general has county names that recall key events contemporaneous with the Glorious Revolution, such as Ulster, Orange, etc.
But nothing honoring bad king Jimmy or family would be, dating Dutchess to a decade earlier.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.