News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dough4872

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Dough4872 on June 01, 2023, 07:02:11 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on June 01, 2023, 06:30:48 PM
In Lawrence Township I noticed that US 1 Business is still signed to follow US 206 SB at the Brunswick Circle and a reassurance shield still remains along MLK Blvd in Trenton.

The circle is part of NJ DOT jurisdiction, so why haven't they removed these being that the route follows Strawberry Street into US 1 to terminate there? It's almost like the department thinks that the business route just replaced the alternate in it's entirety instead of it's decommissioning with a truncated replacement.

The SLD and signage disagree with each other. This isn't the only place in New Jersey this happens. I know US 9 was rerouted and signed to follow the Garden State Parkway across Great Egg Harbor Bay after the Beesley's Point Bridge was demolished but the SLD still inventories US 9 following the roads to the removed bridge, with a gap in the route.

While the SLD is a great resource, it's not THE most absolute accurate reference document.  There are other sources found within the NJDOT website that are of better accuracy, although much more boring to read.  That said, on an overall level, the SLD is one of the better state-wide documents available to get a good overall inventory of a roadway and its various features.

Dough4872

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 01, 2023, 11:37:43 PM
In Lawrence Township I noticed that US 1 Business is still signed to follow US 206 SB at the Brunswick Circle and a reassurance shield still remains along MLK Blvd in Trenton.

The circle is part of NJ DOT jurisdiction, so why haven't they removed these being that the route follows Strawberry Street into US 1 to terminate there? It's almost like the department thinks that the business route just replaced the alternate in it's entirety instead of it's decommissioning with a truncated replacement.

The SLD and signage disagree with each other. This isn't the only place in New Jersey this happens. I know US 9 was rerouted and signed to follow the Garden State Parkway across Great Egg Harbor Bay after the Beesley's Point Bridge was demolished but the SLD still inventories US 9 following the roads to the removed bridge, with a gap in the route.

While the SLD is a great resource, it's not THE most absolute accurate reference document.  There are other sources found within the NJDOT website that are of better accuracy, although much more boring to read.  That said, on an overall level, the SLD is one of the better state-wide documents available to get a good overall inventory of a roadway and its various features.

I should also note there are US 9 milemarkers along Shore Road between CR 623 (where signed US 9 splits for the Garden State Parkway) and the site of the Beesley's Point Bridge.

roadman65

Quote from: famartin on June 01, 2023, 07:02:16 PM

I heard a rumor that the city wanted the bus 1 signage to continue, but it fades away downtown southbound and is almost 100% absent northbound.

Honestly 1 bus in the city should be removed and 206 bus assigned to the current 206, with 206 realigned to follow 1 bus, 1, 129, 29 and 195 to the section near White Horse Circle. You could even completely remove it since 206 north of the circle is municipal already.
Also an enhanced Mile marker on Brunswick Avenue acknowledges that it's US 206 in both directions, even though it's only NB US 206. Southbound uses MLK Blvd south of the Brunswick Circle. Plus US 1 ALT never used Brunswick Avenue in its day. Instead both directions used Present Day MLK and the concurrency with US 206 was SB only. Why both routes NB were on separate alignments is a mystery.

However, I agree with US 206 being out of Downtown and following Business US 1, US 1, NJ 129, and NJ 29 to I-195 with the short stretch to the Whitehorse Circle an extended CR 533 and Broad Street unnumbered.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

famartin

Quote from: Dough4872 on June 02, 2023, 12:14:15 AM

I should also note there are US 9 milemarkers along Shore Road between CR 623 (where signed US 9 splits for the Garden State Parkway) and the site of the Beesley's Point Bridge.

Yes, whatever the SLD may be wrong about, NJDOT obviously still, at least in some sense, considers the stub to be part of US 9.
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.279137,-74.6333491,3a,75y,39.57h,78.54t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sfrrvXmKAOaofgczpGaE1vw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

Alps

Quote from: famartin on June 02, 2023, 10:56:51 AM

Yes, whatever the SLD may be wrong about, NJDOT obviously still, at least in some sense, considers the stub to be part of US 9.
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.279137,-74.6333491,3a,75y,39.57h,78.54t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sfrrvXmKAOaofgczpGaE1vw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu
the changeover happened since 2019

famartin

Quote from: Alps on June 02, 2023, 10:18:26 PM

Not sure what you mean exactly. Signage has long directed us 9 traffic to the parkway, but the last SLD update is from 2013. https://www.state.nj.us/transportation/refdata/sldiag/pdf/00000009__-.pdf

roadman65

Quote from: famartin on June 02, 2023, 10:51:55 PM

The circle is part of NJ DOT jurisdiction, so why haven’t they removed these being that the route follows Strawberry Street into US 1 to terminate there? It’s almost like the department thinks that the business route just replaced the alternate in it’s entirety instead of it’s decommissioning with a truncated replacement.

The SLD and signage disagree with each other. This isn’t the only place in New Jersey this happens. I know US 9 was rerouted and signed to follow the Garden State Parkway across Great Egg Harbor Bay after the Beesley’s Point Bridge was demolished but the SLD still inventories US 9 following the roads to the removed bridge, with a gap in the route.

I should also note there are US 9 milemarkers along Shore Road between CR 623 (where signed US 9 splits for the Garden State Parkway) and the site of the Beesley’s Point Bridge.

Not sure what you mean exactly. Signage has long directed us 9 traffic to the parkway, but the last SLD update is from 2013. https://www.state.nj.us/transportation/refdata/sldiag/pdf/00000009__-.pdf

https://goo.gl/maps/NdnBurVy8a9UgiHC9
No signs at all indicate US 9 turns right onto Roosevelt Blvd.

As of November 2022, signs on Roosevelt show US 9 heads north to Beesly Point still.

https://goo.gl/maps/6QpyPAEwHjjZvQASA

No signage has been changed as of yet.

Sheryl Crowe

famartin

Dough4872

Alps

You can all post whatever you want, but I live in New Jersey, have been to that area several times in the last couple of years, and can vouch that all US 9 signs have disappeared from that stretch of dead end. I do not know if it has been downloaded to Cape May County yet or not, but I'm sure that's the plan. Any remaining mile markers are legacy items at this point.

Alps

Quote from: famartin on June 02, 2023, 10:51:55 PM

The last SLDs were posted online in 2015. The change in official routing was much more recent.

74/171FAN

FWIW, in February, I missed the turn onto CR 623 mainly because of the US 9 NB turn not being posted.  (https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10218301151080672&set=a.10218301431447681)
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Dough4872

Quote from: Alps on June 05, 2023, 07:37:10 PM
You can all post whatever you want, but I live in New Jersey, have been to that area several times in the last couple of years, and can vouch that all US 9 signs have disappeared from that stretch of dead end. I do not know if it has been downloaded to Cape May County yet or not, but I'm sure that's the plan. Any remaining mile markers are legacy items at this point.

I wonder what CR number Cape May County would assign the former alignment of US 9 between CR 623 and the former Beesleys Point Bridge. Or do you think NJDOT may keep it and assign it a different state route number (similar to NJ 167 to the north)?

famartin

If I didn't have a 4 month old, I'd go and check since I'm not *that* far away now...

Alps

Quote from: Dough4872 on June 05, 2023, 08:11:10 PM

I wonder what CR number Cape May County would assign the former alignment of US 9 between CR 623 and the former Beesleys Point Bridge. Or do you think NJDOT may keep it and assign it a different state route number (similar to NJ 167 to the north)?
This is gonna remain to be seen. I _think_ it'll be downloaded but there's no way to know until the next Straight Line Diagrams. (I feel like my office has later than 2015, but 2015 is all the website offers.)

roadman65

Whether the SLD is eight years old is irrelevant. The fact is the signage NB hasn’t been amended to inform drivers to turn at Roosevelt Blvd. for the Parkway North.  The trapezoid entry sign for the GSP NB features US 9 co signed, but the lack of sign on Shore Road at Roosevelt ignoring the turn is the issue as it breaks the continuity.

Plus WB Roosevelt at US 9 having NB US 9 shields from last GSV pass still showing ( whether inventoried or not) shows that US 9 still exists into the former Beesly Point Bridge.  Ditto for the overhead street blades.

Also AASHTO isn’t been notified of the change. Even with US 322 at Mullica Hill and US 206 at Hillsborough are not even AASHTO approved nor is the decommissioning of US 1 ALT in Trenton also not official as last application to the Feds was in 1970 circa when US 206 was realigned through Roxbury and Stanhope.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Is the Tunnel along the Brigantine Connector below Sea Level?
https://goo.gl/maps/Nx97tcPVQqSYkwaX9

Looks like it may be so. The Back Thorofare is a tidal estuary that is at sea level and looks like it's above the freeway as it drops below grade.

Sheryl Crowe

Dough4872

Quote from: roadman65 on June 05, 2023, 10:36:16 PM
Is the Tunnel along the Brigantine Connector below Sea Level?
https://goo.gl/maps/Nx97tcPVQqSYkwaX9

Looks like it may be so. The Back Thorofare is a tidal estuary that is at sea level and looks like it's above the freeway as it drops below grade.

Yes, I'm pretty sure the tunnel is below sea level.

roadman65

Why all this barbed wire protection around the area under US 9 in Keasbey on Smith Street?
https://goo.gl/maps/i4k1matWDtWhs6AM6

That's way overkill for open space under a highway.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

Quote from: roadman65 on June 21, 2023, 09:28:30 AM
Why all this barbed wire protection around the area under US 9 in Keasbey on Smith Street?

To keep people out, obviously.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadman65

Quote from: Rothman on June 21, 2023, 10:00:44 AM

Like they need to keep people out.  Really it's shameful to walk under a bridge or like they're obstacles under there to create a liability.

Come on, the barbed wire makes it look like you're driving through a police state like Berlin was once upon a time.

Even so, a simple fence will suffice. Don't need the wire like it's a prison yard.

Sheryl Crowe

odditude

Quote from: roadman65 on June 21, 2023, 04:51:26 PM
Quote from: Rothman on June 21, 2023, 10:00:44 AM

Like they need to keep people out.  Really it's shameful to walk under a bridge or like they're obstacles under there to create a liability.

Come on, the barbed wire makes it look like you're driving through a police state like Berlin was once upon a time.

Even so, a simple fence will suffice. Don't need the wire like it's a prison yard.

if i had to hazard a guess, [homeless/drug users/insert other undesirable group here] were making use of the space and locals complained about the [eyesore/danger/other]. regular fences didn't do the job, hence that "beautiful" bouquet of barbed wire.

Mr. Matté

I think the fencing was more put up because of Buttery Terrorism. Other NJTA bridges like the Delaware River 95 bridge and formerly the Great Egg Harbor (removed due to complaints as it lined the roadway along the marshes) use it.

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/iGxz4vM6qSv1Y9eu6
I love how there is no 42B, as the two US 202 exits are 42A and 42C on I-80 c/d roadway.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.