News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGwithADD

Quote from: D-Dey65 on December 04, 2022, 05:38:29 AM
New topic, specifically the US 6/202/NY 22 overlap in Brewster;

What sign was next to the US 202 sign at this sign tree?
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.3942949,-73.6070717,3a,75y,44.58h,94.12t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1ssAbMzQXakL-Az_KgNlvZGA!2e0!5s20220901T000000!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en
Because even the oldest GSV captures show a blank space.

The other side of the intersection has a sign for the Brewster Metro North station. Maybe that? Looks like the current signage for the station on US 202 East is at Morningthorpe Rd.

mariethefoxy

Quote from: D-Dey65 on December 04, 2022, 05:13:02 AM
Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on November 28, 2022, 10:29:48 PM
A north fork extension of the L.I.E would open suffolk country to more massive development.
I've seen plenty of development going on there even without the North Fork extension of the L.I.E.

If anything they should have extended 495 around Riverhead to CR 105 or so, and widened NY 25 to 4 lanes in each direction with a center turning lane to at least Mattituck since they been building out that way with main roads that cannot handle the increase in traffic. Nothing worse coming off the ferry to be stuck behind some slowpoke going under the speed limit for miles and miles where you can't get around them

vdeane

I think it would be nice if I-495 extended to Mattituck to feed into the CR 48 divided highway (perhaps that could be NY 495 or something?).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

D-Dey65

Quote from: SGwithADD on December 04, 2022, 10:44:16 AM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on December 04, 2022, 05:38:29 AM
New topic, specifically the US 6/202/NY 22 overlap in Brewster;

What sign was next to the US 202 sign at this sign tree?
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.3942949,-73.6070717,3a,75y,44.58h,94.12t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1ssAbMzQXakL-Az_KgNlvZGA!2e0!5s20220901T000000!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en
Because even the oldest GSV captures show a blank space.

The other side of the intersection has a sign for the Brewster Metro North station. Maybe that? Looks like the current signage for the station on US 202 East is at Morningthorpe Rd.
That's what I suspected. And yes, the sign for Brewster Metro North Station along eastbound US 202 and northbound NY 22 is at Morningthorpe Road.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.3880797,-73.6202326,3a,75y,47.82h,90.09t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1szRAmGRFpzsoLRpl2GoAwdQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

mariethefoxy

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 04, 2022, 03:09:05 PM
Definitely.

Sunrise Highway should also be extended in both directions to complete a continuous limited access expressway on the south shore.

Honestly the 110 to 109 section might be the only one that might have a slim chance of that, route 27 is far too heavily developed in Nassau county for them to do that. Plus the Hamptons will never go for a freeway no matter how gridlocked it is.

The most realistic way to solve the Hampton traffic would be more frequent like hourly service to Montauk on the railroad, and bus service timed with the trains to hit downtown Montauk and Montauk point lighthouse.

Roadgeek Adam

<------can we move this to fictional highways please?
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Alps

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on December 06, 2022, 07:32:39 PM
<------can we move this to fictional highways please?
It cuts off here, and MMM will learn the hard way to stop doing this.

mariethefoxy

An observation on the new 347 construction. Has the grade separated interchange with 25 been cancelled? Driving thru that area the new curbs are in that seem to indicate that the traffic light is staying, especially since they already installed one of the new green poles for the new traffic lights. The extra right off way in the southeast quadrant is becoming what looks to be a storm retention pond. Also none of the local Long Island news articles about the construction continuing mention an interchange being built there.

cockroachking

Quote from: mariethefoxy on December 07, 2022, 10:27:28 AM
An observation on the new 347 construction. Has the grade separated interchange with 25 been cancelled? Driving thru that area the new curbs are in that seem to indicate that the traffic light is staying, especially since they already installed one of the new green poles for the new traffic lights. The extra right off way in the southeast quadrant is becoming what looks to be a storm retention pond. Also none of the local Long Island news articles about the construction continuing mention an interchange being built there.
It is listed on the NYSDOT website as beginning construction in Fall 2029, which could mean anything.

Rothman

Quote from: cockroachking on December 07, 2022, 01:58:49 PM
Quote from: mariethefoxy on December 07, 2022, 10:27:28 AM
It is listed on the NYSDOT website as beginning construction in Fall 2029, which could mean anything.
That's beyond the end of the current TIP and is therefore nothing more than a placeholder.

(personal opinion emphasized).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

vdeane

Quote from: mariethefoxy on October 22, 2022, 01:33:03 AM
Is there plans to reopen the closed rest area on 495 Westbound across from that new Long Island Welcome Center one? I drove by there last week and noticed the concrete barriers were gone (it was coned off), and the whole thing was repaved with new lines and everything in addition to the main repaving project on 495 in Suffolk county. If they were planning to keep it closed why bother repaving it?
I emailed Region 10 and just heard back today.  It's going to be a truck inspection site.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

roadwaywiz95

For this upcoming weekend's Webinar presentation, we'll be taking a look at the freeway system of central New York State and the Syracuse metropolitan area. We'll also be continuing our discussion from last week about "The Three R's" (Replace/Relocate/Remove) of urban freeway replacement; there will be an in-depth discussion (that will likely take up the majority of the show) about how Syracuse's "Community Grid" plan to remove the downtown segment of Interstate 81 came to be, this proposal's pros & cons, and how this controversial plan may or may not serve as a template for future urban planning movements across North America. Since we know this topic is a lightning rod of sorts within the roads/travel community, we'd also welcome your thoughtful comments & questions in the live chat during our discussion, that way we can make things a bit more interactive than we normally allow.

If you'd like to join us live, we'll get started on Saturday (12/17) at 6 PM ET. Regardless, the link to this show can be found below:

Clinched Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/roadwaywiz.gif
Clinched Interstates & Other Highways: https://travelmapping.net/shields/clinched.php?units=miles&u=roadwaywiz

@roadwaywiz on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Spreadshirt, and Discord

Also at http://www.gribblenation.org/

mariethefoxy

Quote from: vdeane on December 15, 2022, 07:59:38 PM
Quote from: mariethefoxy on October 22, 2022, 01:33:03 AM
Is there plans to reopen the closed rest area on 495 Westbound across from that new Long Island Welcome Center one? I drove by there last week and noticed the concrete barriers were gone (it was coned off), and the whole thing was repaved with new lines and everything in addition to the main repaving project on 495 in Suffolk county. If they were planning to keep it closed why bother repaving it?
I emailed Region 10 and just heard back today.  It's going to be a truck inspection site.

Hopefully the flashing lights for it work unlike the one by exit 48 where all the signs are busted and they cart out a portable vms for it

D-Dey65

I think I've asked this before, but does Region 10 plan to replace these two signs near the Camp Hero East Overlook?
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:EB_NY_27_in_Montauk;_Old_Overlook_1000_Ft_Sign.jpg

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:EB_NY_27_in_Montauk;_Old_Overlook_Directional_Sign.jpg
Preferably with brown and white signs of comparable size?

amroad17

Quote from: roadwaywiz95 on December 16, 2022, 08:52:04 AM
For this upcoming weekend's Webinar presentation, we'll be taking a look at the freeway system of central New York State and the Syracuse metropolitan area. We'll also be continuing our discussion from last week about "The Three R's" (Replace/Relocate/Remove) of urban freeway replacement; there will be an in-depth discussion (that will likely take up the majority of the show) about how Syracuse's "Community Grid" plan to remove the downtown segment of Interstate 81 came to be, this proposal's pros & cons, and how this controversial plan may or may not serve as a template for future urban planning movements across North America. Since we know this topic is a lightning rod of sorts within the roads/travel community, we'd also welcome your thoughtful comments & questions in the live chat during our discussion, that way we can make things a bit more interactive than we normally allow.

If you'd like to join us live, we'll get started on Saturday (12/17) at 6 PM ET. Regardless, the link to this show can be found below:

I have watched this webinar broadcast and, along with three others I have watched, I am impressed at the time you put into these and I am impressed with the quality and content presented.

I was born and lived in the area (Town of Camillus) up until I was 10 and visited regularly throughout my teens and early 20's.  I have seen the construction of some of your highways presented in the Syracuse webinar in would like to offer a few observations.

1.  The southeastern bypass of Syracuse was originally I-281.  The first section built was between NY 5 and Jamesville Rd., then was completed to the Thruway by the early 1970's.  NY 481 and I-481 north of the Thruway was originally going to be a "Relocated Route 57" when plans were developed in the mid-1960's.  Partly because of the fairly close location of NY 281, where its northern terminus in Tully is approximately 15 miles south of the I-81/I-481 south interchange, I-281 was renumbered to I-481 with I-481 was extended to I-81 in North Syracuse and "Relocated Route 57" west of I-81 was renumbered to NY 481 effective January 1, 1970.

2.  NY 690 is built as a bypass of Baldwinsville but was not numbered NY 690 when it opened in the spring of 1971.  It was numbered as a relocated NY 48.  The part of current NY 48 through Seneca Knolls and Baldwinsville must have been retained as a reference route for the next step to occur--the renumbering of NY 48 to NY 690 in 1975 and then having NY 48 put back on its original routing.

3.  I-690 originally ended at a stoplight where the old Exit 39 Thruway ramps north of current Exit 5 (State Fair Blvd) were.  Before I-690 was built in the early 1960's, NY 48, which originated in Syracuse and followed State Fair Blvd, used to follow the Walters Road ROW, the current I-690 ROW, and went straight through where the ramps for John Glenn Blvd are now meeting up where the ramp split is for NY 48/I-690.  When the Baldwinsville Bypass was complete it started at the stoplight and was considered NY 48 then NY 690 to where the current Thruway ramps are that were completed in 1987.  That section was changed to I-690 at that time.  Also, I-690 had a split at the Fairgrounds.  WB I-690 has always been in that location.  EB I-690 split just west of the NY 695 ramps and went under the current Fairgrounds parking lot bridges before rejoining the WB lanes just east of the NY 297/Solvay interchange.  When NY 695 was completed in 1977, I-690 was reconfigured next to the WB lanes to accommodate the ramps from NY 695.

4.  NY 695 originally was a reference route (NY 930T) when it first opened and was signed as TO I-690 or TO NY 5 on the BGSs.  It was the early 1980's, I believe 1983, it was signed NY 695.  Yes, it was chosen as 695 because of I-690 and NY 5.

5.  The NY 5 freeway was completed in 1979 from Hinsdale Road to its end in Camillus.  The NY 695 to Hinsdale section opened the year before.  The section from NY 5 in Geddes to current NY 695 and all of current NY 695 opened in 1977.  This I saw from its construction beginnings to its finished product on my visits to see the relatives.  NY 5 was to be part of a larger expressway system extending west to Auburn and east to I-81 south of Syracuse.  If built the NY 5 expressway was supposed to tie into Grant Ave. near Chestnut Ridge Road northeast of Auburn.  The eastern end had three different proposed endings.  One had a freeway ending at I-81 between the I-481 and US 11/Nedrow interchanges, approximately between Conifer Drive and Richfield Ave off of US 11 in Nedrow.  Another had it tying into the I-81/I-481 interchange.  The third had an expressway/arterial mix following Grand Ave. north of the Western Lights Shopping Plaza then somehow following Onondaga Street and West Street tying into the freeway part of West Street leading to I-690.  Due to cost constraints and suburb development, these proposals never occurred.  If this had been started in the early 1960's, there is a chance that one of these three Syracuse proposals could have come to fruition.  The Auburn proposal may have been completed also, even though traffic counts then did not warrant its construction.

6.  I-81 was completed between then NY 57 (current NY 370) and Brewerton around 1960 as well as from Tully to Nedrow in the mid 1950's.  The divided highway on US 11 north of the Nedrow interchange was considered a temporary section of I-81 when it opened because the freeway curved onto that four-lane section before the Nedrow interchange was built.  I-81 was completed from then NY 57 to downtown Syracuse in 1961.  The section of I-81 from Exit 19 to Nedrow was completed in 1967 which included the viaduct.  I-81 was relocated to its current location near Carousel Center (DestiNY USA) around 1980.  I-81 used to have a sharper curve.  Going NB it followed the current ramps to NY 370 and Old Liverpool Road, and then curved north following the current Exit 23A-23B-22 SB off-ramp.  Personally, I would have liked to see the I-81 viaduct rebuilt in place, however, with the space constraint, the Community Grid seems to be the only option.

7.  Yes, it is fairly hilly south and west of Syracuse which is why a western bypass of the city probably was never considered.

8.  You are correct in your statement of why there are quite a few Thruway interchanges around Syracuse (originally 5, now 6).  Carrier needed one in DeWitt and GE needed one at Electronics Pkwy. (Lockheed Martin was GE up until 1972 when GE transferred their TV producing operations from Syracuse to Suffolk, VA--I should know, my father worked at that GE plant, was part of the transfer, and was the reason I moved to Chesapeake, VA when I was 10).  Also, there needed to be an interchange for the Fairgrounds and for I-81, therefore the relative closeness of the interchanges (it is 13 miles from Exit 34A, I-481, to Exit 39, I-690; it is 15 miles to the next interchanges [34 and 40] each side of Syracuse).

These observations are in no means critical of your presentation.  I wanted to provide some insight, and maybe a deeper story, on the Syracuse freeways you covered.  Even though I have not lived in the area for 50 years, I still have ties as far as relatives and also with my favorite college team (Go Orange!).  BTW, I visit Heid's every time I am in the area.

If there is a Hampton Roads webinar, and I am not working, I would like to try to find a way to be a part of that webinar.  I lived in the area for 22 years and saw the completion of all the freeways in the area, especially VA 164, I-664, and the Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge Tunnel--as I lived only two miles east of I-664.  If I am not able to join in, I will watch the telecast and may offer some more observations about that area.

Thank you for all that you have done and will continue to do!  :thumbsup:  :clap:
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

roadman65

I noticed in Albany, despite its bad signage on city street routes, NY 32 acknowledges US 9 quite well, but at State Street there are no shields to acknowledge NY's longest running E-W state highway at that location.

In fact NY 5 itself has no trailblazing except at the west end of State Street where NY 5 turns. However drive further west to where NY 5 changes alignment from Washington to Central and no shield to inform through travelers of the change. Oh wait, Lark Street is US 9W. That intersects just before Central, and you would never know it.

It seems all routes get some kind of signage, but NY 5 gets none like it's the forgotten route within the capital. To me NY 5 is one of the most important routes in the state, but the capital treats it like garbage. It serves Buffalo, Syracuse, and Utica along with other smaller cities like Batavia, Auburn and Ripley.  It is a very important link for the Empire State and gets the worst by the states center for government.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

ixnay

Quote from: roadman65 on December 20, 2022, 01:45:15 PM
I noticed in Albany, despite its bad signage on city street routes, NY 32 acknowledges US 9 quite well, but at State Street there are no shields to acknowledge NY's longest running E-W state highway at that location.

In fact NY 5 itself has no trailblazing except at the west end of State Street where NY 5 turns. However drive further west to where NY 5 changes alignment from Washington to Central and no shield to inform through travelers of the change. Oh wait, Lark Street is US 9W. That intersects just before Central, and you would never know it.

It seems all routes get some kind of signage, but NY 5 gets none like it's the forgotten route within the capital. To me NY 5 is one of the most important routes in the state, but the capital treats it like garbage. It serves Buffalo, Syracuse, and Utica along with other smaller cities like Batavia, Auburn and Ripley.  It is a very important link for the Empire State and gets the worst by the states center for government.

Speaking of the Capital District, do the media therein refer to "Free 90" as that, or is it just us on AARoads who do?
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

kalvado

Quote from: ixnay on December 22, 2022, 04:45:20 PM

Speaking of the Capital District, do the media therein refer to "Free 90" as that, or is it just us on AARoads who do?
I-90, Northway, Thruway and Alt-7 seem to be common

Rothman

Quote from: kalvado on December 22, 2022, 04:49:53 PM
Quote from: ixnay on December 22, 2022, 04:45:20 PM

I-90, Northway, Thruway and Alt-7 seem to be common
Free 90 is heard in the Capital District.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Jim

I drove through Cortland twice yesterday going to and from Greek Peak.  NY 13 to NY 215 the mid morning, US 11 NB through town in the later afternoon.  Signs for the state routes and US 11 are there for the most part but also are either missing sufficient signage for some key turns or I was just not good at seeing them.

I was also really surprised how poorly traffic was moving through the city.  Long red lights waiting for nonexistent cross traffic, too-short green arrows for the number of cars stacked up to turn, and lights seemingly not timed appropriately for the dominant traffic flow.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

webny99

Quote from: Jim on December 22, 2022, 11:36:03 PM
I was also really surprised how poorly traffic was moving through the city.  Long red lights waiting for nonexistent cross traffic, too-short green arrows for the number of cars stacked up to turn, and lights seemingly not timed appropriately for the dominant traffic flow.

Concur, this has been the story of Cortland pretty much every time I've been through. NY 281 usually moves pretty well, so you can use that to connect to I-81 Exit 12 without any issues, but anything within city limits is usually just as you describe.. no doubt amplified yesterday by everyone doing their last-minute shopping and errands before the holiday.

02 Park Ave

The Storm King Highway portion of NY Route 218 is now closed, probably for the Winter.
C-o-H

D-Dey65

Some interesting proposals I found when looking up a site on Long Island parks, specifically Wildwood State Park;

https://liparks.com/history/the-hidden-past-of-wildwood-state-park/

QuoteThe first mention of Wildwood Park is seen in an article from April 9th, 1925 from the County Review, which reported that the state had plans to improve and even create highways in the area, including a "Highway from the proposed park at Wading River, which will be known as Wildwood Park, to the Wading River — Roanoke — Mattituck highway" .
Now, I've heard of William Floyd Parkway (CR 46) being declared a state parkway and extended to Wildwood, and I've heard of the Northern State Parkway being extended to Wildwood, but this is the first I've heard of a parkway between Wildwood State Park and Mattituck.

storm2k

Advisory from the PA: All New Jersey-Bound Traffic at Holland Tunnel to Be Suspended Six Overnights Each Week for Critical Superstorm Sandy Repairs

QuoteBeginning at 11 p.m. on Sunday, Feb. 5, through 2025, the New Jersey-bound tube of the Holland Tunnel will close during off-peak hours six overnights each week to accommodate extensive and critical repairs from damage caused by Superstorm Sandy.

The work that must be undertaken in both tubes of the 1.6-mile-long tunnel during the overnight closures include repairs to and replacement of mechanical, electrical, communications and plumbing systems damaged by latent salt from Sandy seawater flooding, as well as repairs to architectural, structural and civil elements of the tunnel infrastructure. These systems suffered major damage when 30 million gallons of brackish water entered the tunnel through the New Jersey portals and ventilation buildings in the aftermath of Sandy, which struck the New York metropolitan area in October 2012.

vdeane

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.