News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Ohio Turnpike News

Started by thenetwork, December 23, 2015, 08:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: drrosenrosen on April 25, 2019, 03:26:23 AM
Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on March 21, 2019, 04:31:51 AM
Interestingly enough, they will take the toll plazas out at Exits 13, 23, 34, and 39 in Lucas County and Exits 215, 216, 218, 232, and 234 in Trumbull County, thus having a "free section" before and/or after the statelines...

https://www.ohioturnpike.org/docs/default-source/Procurement/otic-construction-forecast-2018---oca-(akron).pdf?sfvrsn=2
Go to 28-29 and 34-35 to see maps and plans on what they are going to do...

Not to quibble, but there still will be tolls collected at the current locations of Westgate and Eastgate (yes, westbound only at Eastgate), so the road won't be "free" between MM 0-49, 211-241.

Has anyone been able to figure out what the significance is of the one vertical and one diagonal dashed lines at MM 32.2 and MM 220.8 on the map on page 28 of that PDF on the OTC website??  Are these also electronic toll collection points?  Guessing not, based on how the slide reads ("Provides non-tolled trips for local travelers within TP 13 thru 39 and within TP 216 thru 232").  There's no discussion of what these lines designate.
Now will IN have gate free lanes? maybe if just main line?

nwi_navigator_1181

I'm trying to understand this...

So let's say I'm heading to Cleveland from the Indiana state line.

At Westgate, in lieu of a ticket, I'm paying rate per mile times 32.2. At the new mainline toll barrier, I pay rate per mile times 19.8 (52-32.2). From mile 52, the Turnpike begins the "closed"  toll system until east of Youngstown.

Am I close to right?
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

zzcarp

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on May 27, 2020, 07:43:46 PM
I’m trying to understand this...

So let’s say I’m heading to Cleveland from the Indiana state line.

At Westgate, in lieu of a ticket, I’m paying rate per mile times 32.2. At the new mainline toll barrier, I pay rate per mile times 19.8 (52-32.2). From mile 52, the Turnpike begins the “closed” toll system until east of Youngstown.

Am I close to right?

Close. If I understand correctly, the new barrier will be the end of the ticket system. If you got on at I-480 (Exit 151), at the new tollbooth west of Toledo you'd pay the toll rate per mile * (151-32.2). At Westgate, you'd pay the toll rate per mile * (32.2).

At the east end, the end of the closed system will be west of Youngstown at Milepost 209. Beyond that, there will be no toll eastbound at Eastgate. Probably the westbound only toll at the new Eastgate will be double the toll rate per mile * (241-209).
So many miles and so many roads

Stephane Dumas

I wonder if that could lead to the addition of future interchanges in the long term?

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on May 27, 2020, 07:21:58 PM
Quote from: drrosenrosen on April 25, 2019, 03:26:23 AM
Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on March 21, 2019, 04:31:51 AM
Interestingly enough, they will take the toll plazas out at Exits 13, 23, 34, and 39 in Lucas County and Exits 215, 216, 218, 232, and 234 in Trumbull County, thus having a "free section" before and/or after the statelines...

https://www.ohioturnpike.org/docs/default-source/Procurement/otic-construction-forecast-2018---oca-(akron).pdf?sfvrsn=2
Go to 28-29 and 34-35 to see maps and plans on what they are going to do...

Not to quibble, but there still will be tolls collected at the current locations of Westgate and Eastgate (yes, westbound only at Eastgate), so the road won't be "free" between MM 0-49, 211-241.

Has anyone been able to figure out what the significance is of the one vertical and one diagonal dashed lines at MM 32.2 and MM 220.8 on the map on page 28 of that PDF on the OTC website??  Are these also electronic toll collection points?  Guessing not, based on how the slide reads ("Provides non-tolled trips for local travelers within TP 13 thru 39 and within TP 216 thru 232").  There's no discussion of what these lines designate.
Now will IN have gate free lanes? maybe if just main line?

Don't expect gate-free lanes on the ITR anytime soon...

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on May 27, 2020, 08:29:26 PM
I wonder if that could lead to the addition of future interchanges in the long term?

West of Toledo? Doubtful. There is little demand for more exits than what already exists in the rural NW.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

nwi_navigator_1181

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on May 27, 2020, 10:16:44 PM

West of Toledo? Doubtful. There is little demand for more exits than what already exists in the rural NW.

And even then, I'd think the only ramp that would even be considered west of Toledo would be one at I-475. That's not happening anytime soon.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

sbeaver44

How I understood it is this:

First -- Based on EZPass $13.50 for the whole tpk at 241.26 miles,  for these assumptions below, I'm using 5.6 cents/mile, and rounding to the nearest quarter per the Ohio Turnpike's 2020 toll schedules.

Westgate tolls would be based on 32.2 miles, so let's assume $1.75 (32.2 × $0.056)

A new barrier toll will be constructed at the former Oak Openings/Fallen Timbers/Mile 49 service plazas.  This will be very similar to PA Turnpike's set up with Gateway and Warrendale.

All trips that involve hitting that mile 49 barrier will pay a toll as if they went to mile 32.2.  So let's say I got on at Exit 91 (Mile 91.6). 

At mile 49 barrier, I will pay $3.25 ([91.6-32.2]×$0.056).

Now with the Youngstown barrier, it's a little more confusing since the tolling is indicated to only be Westbound.  (This is probably because of the PA Turnpike's Eastbound only Gateway massive $12.20 Bill Me/$5.90 EzPass toll)

I'm going to assume that means Ohio will double the toll at Westgate.  The turnpike enters Ohio beginning with Mile 241.26.  The reference point for tolls is 220.8 here.  So I assume the toll will be $2.50.  (Ok, this is showing how bad the difference in Ohio and PA's toll rates is.  Wow)

From the map, the new barrier is to be at Mile 211.

Let's say I got on EB at 91 again (mile 91.6).  Now I will pay a $7.25 toll at the new mile 211 barrier.

Taking this all together, let's say I drive the entire turnpike West, I would pay $14.75
-$2.50 toll at Eastgate barrier
-$10.50 toll at Mile 49 barrier
-$1.75 toll at Westgate barrier

Driving East would be $12.25
-$1.75 toll at Westgate barrier
-$10.50 toll at Mile 211 barrier
-No toll at Eastgate barrier

So a round trip for the entire tpk would be $27.00 still.  But of course, that is the 2020 rates and these changes aren't gonna magically appear this year.

Buck87

Just noticed some new signage on US 250 at the Turnpike entrances. Used to be a  pretty old pair of signs that said "Ohio Turnpike".....now the signs have I-90 and I-80 shields with just the world "Turnpike" by itself underneath.

First I've seen the "Ohio" dropped from one of these, although this sign was a vertical rectangle (taller than wide), and adding Ohio would have required a second line of text.

VS988

Buck87

While WB on the Turnpike yesterday I noticed that the exit for Baumhart Rd now has "To (OH 2 shield)" on it, at least for the final exit sign in the WB direction.

In the past the signage for this exit had a somewhat weird configuration where the "Baumhardt Rd" text was green surrounded by a white box to highlight it on the BGS. Those have since been patched over with white text on green background, however this was the first I've noticed this OH 2 shield signage, which was a new sign with no patch. I wasn't paying attention for the advance signs, so I don't know if they are all new too or if it's just the sign right before the gore. I did peek over at the EB signs and saw they were still the patched signs and did not have any mention of OH 2.

Mr_Northside

I was thru there a week and a half ago and don't think I saw the new sign.  I've only ever been on the Oh Tpk west of I-77 twice ever (including that trip), and that exit stuck out simply due to the fact all the BGS didn't show any route number.  I'm used to that on free interstates, but not long-haul toll roads (asides from Lordstown).

Also, unrelated to that, was I NOT seeing things, or does the Ohio Turnpike not have any permanent VMS?  There were plenty of portable, construction-style ones, about toll payments/Covid, but I don't think I saw any permanent ones.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

dvferyance

Doubtful anywhere really. The last new interchange opened in 2004. I was thinking US 127 was a maybe but as you just said no demand for more exists west of Toledo.

thenetwork

Quote from: dvferyance on September 21, 2020, 10:57:16 PM

Doubtful anywhere really. The last new interchange opened in 2004. I was thinking US 127 was a maybe but as you just said no demand for more exists west of Toledo.

Pretty much the Ohio Turnpike got all the exits they needed in the last several decades.  The only 2 areas where I could see new exits nowadays are at SR-3 IN north Royalton and SR-11 near Youngstown, which have both been discussed on occasion over the years. 

Toledo may or may not be still trying to get a direct connection to/from I-475/US-23, but I havent heard much about that in recent years.

cl94

475 is probably a non-starter given the amount of eminent domain that would be required. The ROW is constrained.

SR 3 would be easy if the Turnpike every went AET, but forget building a trumpet or other interchange were all traffic passes through a single toll plaza unless said interchange is a diamond hybrid.

SR 11...you could probably squeeze something in. Single toll plaza would be hard, AET would make it far easier.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

dkblake

Quote from: cl94 on September 22, 2020, 08:22:00 PM
475 is probably a non-starter given the amount of eminent domain that would be required. The ROW is constrained.

SR 3 would be easy if the Turnpike every went AET, but forget building a trumpet or other interchange were all traffic passes through a single toll plaza unless said interchange is a diamond hybrid.

SR 11...you could probably squeeze something in. Single toll plaza would be hard, AET would make it far easier.

11 makes sense from a "connect the major roads" perspective, but EB can just stay on 80 and WB can connect via 7 or I-680 fairly easily.
2dis clinched: 8, 17, 69(original), 71, 72, 78, 81, 84(E), 86(E), 88(E), 89, 91, 93, 97

Mob-rule: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/dblake.gif

skluth

Quote from: dkblake on October 15, 2020, 05:40:35 PM

11 makes sense from a "connect the major roads" perspective, but EB can just stay on 80 and WB can connect via 7 or I-680 fairly easily.

I did the I-80 option several years ago when returning to Tidewater from Cleveland. I wanted to hit the Homer Laughlin factory seconds store for some cheap Fiesta stoneware. I probably would have taken it regardless; I tend to shunpike when I can. But it was quick and OH 11 is really interesting once south of the Youngstown area.

Bitmapped

Quote from: dkblake on October 15, 2020, 05:40:35 PM

There's no good routing between the Turnpike to/from the east and SR 11 to/from the south. Of the three plausible routings someone would take to the SR 7 or I-680 interchanges with the Turnpike (Western Reserve Road, SR 165, and SR 164-to-SR 14), none of them have interchanges with SR 11. Connecting via I-80 or through Youngstown goes way out of the way.

ilpt4u

From NB OH 11, Google Maps recommends taking Exit 27/OH 46, turn right/southeast on 46 to Reckenberger Rd (shows on Google Maps as County Rd 40) - turn to head east on Reckenberger to OH 164. Take 164 northeast to either the OH 7 or OH 164/I-680 Entrance to the Turnpike. About 6 miles or so

That's not awfully far out of the way.

Direct access would be better, of course, between the Turnpike and 11

Looking at the Google Sat view of the area around the Turnpike and OH 11 crossing, looks to me like a Double Trumpet/Turnpike-style interchange would fit in better than anything at the actual point of intersection - the area mostly NW of the intersecting point looks like it would have room for the connecting road and toll booth between the 2 Trumpets

Whether OTC and ODOT have any interest in such, who knows

thenetwork

Quote from: ilpt4u on October 15, 2020, 10:49:55 PM
From NB OH 11, Google Maps recommends taking Exit 27/OH 46, turn right/southeast on 46 to Reckenberger Rd (shows on Google Maps as County Rd 40) - turn to head east on Reckenberger to OH 164. Take 164 northeast to either the OH 7 or OH 164/I-680 Entrance to the Turnpike. About 6 miles or so

Looking at the Google Sat view of the area around the Turnpike and OH 11 crossing, looks to me like a Double Trumpet/Turnpike-style interchange would fit in better than anything at the actual point of intersection - the area mostly NW of the intersecting point looks like it would have room for the connecting road and toll booth between the 2 Trumpets

Since the plans are to eliminate tolling in the Youngstown area along the I-76 stretch (except for WB Tpk entering Ohio, that could make any I-76/SR-11 connection design much simpler as no toll plaza will be needed.

ilpt4u

Quote from: thenetwork on October 16, 2020, 08:52:38 AM
Quote from: ilpt4u on October 15, 2020, 10:49:55 PM

Since the plans are to eliminate tolling in the Youngstown area along the I-76 stretch (except for WB Tpk entering Ohio, that could make any I-76/SR-11 connection design much simpler as no toll plaza will be needed.
Even with no toll plaza, it still might make sense to build a Double Trumpet Interchange for the movements. The South side of the Turnpike near the OH 11 crossing doesn't have a lot of vacant land for ramp construction. The NE quadrant, right near both roadways, also has a couple houses. The NW quadrant has the most available land. I guess it could be a Double Y with a connector road using the NW quadrant and not a Double Trumpet, but not sure all the Flyovers would be necessary at this spot for a Double Y

The Ghostbuster

This isn't news, rather it is a history question. Ohio's exits state-wide were sequential originally, but all routes, save the Ohio Turnpike, converted to mileage-based in the 1970s. The Ohio Turnpike did not convert to mileage-based until 1998. Does anyone know why Ohio's DOT dragged their feet on converting the Turnpike's exits to mileage-based? After all, when Pennsylvania converted its exits to mileage-based in 2001, the Pennsylvania Turnpike and it's branches converted as well.

rawmustard

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 16, 2020, 02:56:20 PM
Does anyone know why Ohio's DOT dragged their feet on converting the Turnpike's exits to mileage-based? After all, when Pennsylvania converted its exits to mileage-based in 2001, the Pennsylvania Turnpike and it's branches converted as well.

Ohio's turnpike commission operates independently of ODOT, although they have collaborated with other issues such as truck shunpiking.

thenetwork

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 16, 2020, 02:56:20 PM
This isn't news, rather it is a history question. Ohio's exits state-wide were sequential originally, but all routes, save the Ohio Turnpike, converted to mileage-based in the 1970s. The Ohio Turnpike did not convert to mileage-based until 1998. Does anyone know why Ohio's DOT dragged their feet on converting the Turnpike's exits to mileage-based? After all, when Pennsylvania converted its exits to mileage-based in 2001, the Pennsylvania Turnpike and it's branches converted as well.

My guess is that originally, with so few exits up until the late 80s, they didn't want to screw up familiarity of the sequential exits.

When they started building more interchanges in the 90s, there were getting to be too many EXIT #-A's and I think the confusion factor was starting to settle in.

Plus the newer "#-A"  exits were full interchanges and not half-interchanges like I-90 East,  I-480 East and I-680 North.

02 Park Ave

The Ohio turnpike has announced that their modernised Toll Collection System will come into use in early 2023.
C-o-H

ysuindy

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.