News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

The Oxford Comma

Started by kphoger, November 27, 2019, 03:51:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your opinion of the Oxford comma?

People should use it.
People shouldn't use it.
I don't care one way or the other.  Your truth is your truth.
What's the Oxford comma?
I'm pretending it's 1998 on ICQ, so I don't use capital letters or punctuation at all.

kphoger

I am 100% in favor of the Oxford comma.
What's your take?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

I chose "What's the Oxford comma?", but was disappointed to find that it didn't give me the answer once I submitted my vote.

formulanone

Quote from: webny99 on November 27, 2019, 04:11:33 PM
I chose "What's the Oxford comma?", but was disappointed to find that it didn't give me the answer once I submitted my vote.

The comma before the use of a conjunction when naming more than two items is the Oxford comma. Some folks leave it off, but that's not my style.

Example: kphoger, webny99, and formulanone have posted in this thread.

You wouldn't use it for something like: Your choices of sandwiches are ham or peanut butter and jelly, because PB&J go together. However, one might re-word that to prevent ambiguity (cue those let's eat an elderly member of the family comments).

GaryV

When in Rome ....

When in Oxford, use the Oxford comma.

1995hoo

The thing about eating an elderly family member isn't an Oxford comma issue. It's a direct address issue. In direct address, there's supposed to be a comma before the name of the person you're addressing, although a lot of people seem not to know this. Thus, "Hello, kphoger"  would be a correct way to begin an e-mail message, and "Hello kphoger"  would be incorrect. "Hi, Jim" –correct; "Hi Jim" –incorrect. "Thank you, sir" –correct; "Thank you sir" –incorrect.

The "elderly relative"  example comes up as to direct address because it's a way of showing how commas matter. The correct form–"Let's eat, Grandma" –has a very different meaning from the incorrect form "Let's eat Grandma."

The most common "relatives"  example relating to the Oxford or serial comma is a book dedication: "To my parents, Kristen Bell and God."  Did I dedicate the book to four people or to two–that is, did I say that Kristen Bell and God are my parents, or did I dedicate the book to the two of them in addition to my parents? The serial or Oxford comma eliminates the ambiguity: "To my parents, Kristen Bell, and God."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

webny99

Quote from: formulanone on November 27, 2019, 04:56:01 PM

The comma before the use of a conjunction when naming more than two items is the Oxford comma. Some folks leave it off, but that's not my style.

You wouldn't use it for something like: Your choices of sandwiches are ham or peanut butter and jelly, because PB&J go together. However, one might re-word that to prevent ambiguity (cue those let's eat an elderly member of the family comments).

Hopefully you picked up that I was attempting humor, but thank you anyways for the detailed response!  :)

Beltway

I often use that.

I tend to use commas more than many people, to separate phrases; and I like to use the semicolon as well.

Comma = small pause, semicolon = major pause.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

hotdogPi

Quote from: Beltway on November 27, 2019, 09:43:18 PM

I tend to use commas more than many people, to separate phrases; and I like to use the semicolon as well.

Your semicolon use is incorrect. Both sides of a semicolon need to be a complete sentence; removing the word "and" works.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Mr. Matté

The only people who care are Merle Haggard's ex wives, Robert Duvall and Kris Kristofferson.

Beltway

Quote from: 1 on November 27, 2019, 09:53:41 PM
Quote from: Beltway on November 27, 2019, 09:43:18 PM
Your semicolon use is incorrect. Both sides of a semicolon need to be a complete sentence; removing the word "and" works.
Is this correct?

All words in Scripture are God's words, as He specified to each author what to record as Scripture.  This does not mean that everything is to be taken as God's instructions, for example, the Bible records the fact that Judas hanged himself (presumably with a rope), but that does not mean that the Bible gives approval for anyone to hang themselves; quite the contrary.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

jakeroot

I've always used the Oxford Comma. I believe I was marked down for it when I was younger, but people quickly stopped caring by the time I was in, what, the fourth grade?

IMO, things in a list should always be separated by the same thing. For example, adding a comma before each listed item in a sentence. Adding "and" before the final item is appropriate English, but I don't think substituting the comma for an "and" should be acceptable.

SSOWorld

What about the Shatner comma?
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Brandon

Quote from: SSOWorld on November 28, 2019, 06:41:06 AM

What, about, the, Shatner, comma?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

jeffandnicole

Dammit...now I'm caught up on you talking about yourself in the 3rd person!

1995hoo

Quote from: jakeroot on November 28, 2019, 01:43:56 AM
I've always used the Oxford Comma. I believe I was marked down for it when I was younger, but people quickly stopped caring by the time I was in, what, the fourth grade?

I remember my brother got marked down for not using that comma in a book report, but the place where he omitted it was in the book's title–the title as it appeared on the cover omitted the comma and the teacher said he should have included it because it's not optional. I recall our mother told off the teacher for downgrading my brother and then went to the principal about it when the teacher wouldn't cooperate. Our mom didn't normally do that sort of thing, but in this case she was absolutely right and the teacher was out of line. You don't change the book's title!

mgk920

Howabout putting apostrophe's into all of your plural's?

:hmmm:

Mike

hbelkins

I grew up using it, but at some point, the Associated Press Stylebook dropped it, so I quit using it in my work product. Over the past few years, I have started making a conscious attempt to use it again, even though it's contrary to AP style. I had gotten into the habit of not using it, so it's been a bit difficult to start using it again. Something like learning to type on a typewriter where you used two taps of the spacebar between sentences, but you only use one on a computer.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

formulanone

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 28, 2019, 08:29:57 AM

Dammit...now I'm caught up on you talking about yourself in the 3rd person!

There's a first for everything, but it would have been more difficult to prove the point by being the second poster.

wanderer2575

I always use the Oxford comma.  (I also double space between sentences.)

I've mentioned this in other threads, but I'll note it again here:  The lack (?) of an Oxford comma in a Maine labor law featured prominently in a court case to determine whether certain delivery drivers are entitled to overtime pay.

http://loweringthebar.net/2017/03/the-oxford-comma-use-it.html

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: SSOWorld on November 28, 2019, 06:41:06 AM

KeithE4Phx!  Believes!  The!  Proper!  Term!  Is!  The!  Shatner!  Exclamation!  Point!   :)
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

jakeroot

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 28, 2019, 01:04:29 PM

I remember my brother got marked down for not using that comma in a book report, but the place where he omitted it was in the book's title–the title as it appeared on the cover omitted the comma and the teacher said he should have included it because it's not optional. I recall our mother told off the teacher for downgrading my brother and then went to the principal about it when the teacher wouldn't cooperate. Our mom didn't normally do that sort of thing, but in this case she was absolutely right and the teacher was out of line. You don't change the book's title!

Couldn't blame her at all. The way I see it, book titles are proper nouns and shouldn't be subject to re-spellings.

SSOWorld

Quote from: jakeroot on November 29, 2019, 02:26:06 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on November 28, 2019, 01:04:29 PM

Couldn't blame her at all. The way I see it, book titles are proper nouns and shouldn't be subject to re-spellings.
Perhaps the teacher tried to tell the publisher and is secretly asking for help.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

1995hoo

Quote from: wanderer2575 on November 28, 2019, 09:23:27 PM
I always use the Oxford comma.  (I also double space between sentences.)

I've mentioned this in other threads, but I'll note it again here:  The lack (?) of an Oxford comma in a Maine labor law featured prominently in a court case to determine whether certain delivery drivers are entitled to overtime pay.

http://loweringthebar.net/2017/03/the-oxford-comma-use-it.html

While I favor the use of the serial comma, I think the result in that case was wrong because there was no conjunction before the word "packing."  In other words, if "packing for"  referred to either shipment or distribution, the word "or"  should have appeared before "packing."

The legislature's response was even worse: They rewrote it using semicolons!

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on November 28, 2019, 07:59:49 PM
... on a typewriter where you used two taps of the spacebar between sentences, but you only use one on a computer.

Speak for yourself.  I always double-space on a computer after a (full stop) period or colon.

At some point in the last year or two, I have also started using two spaces after semicolons.  I once had a roommate who preferred the way it looked when he used a triple space after a period or colon.

I don't, however, double-space while texting on my phone.  Too much work.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

DaBigE

Quote from: kphoger on November 29, 2019, 04:03:28 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on November 28, 2019, 07:59:49 PM
... on a typewriter where you used two taps of the spacebar between sentences, but you only use one on a computer.

Speak for yourself.  I always double-space on a computer after a (full stop) period or colon.

At some point in the last year or two, I have also started using two spaces after semicolons.  I once had a roommate who preferred the way it looked when he used a triple space after a period or colon.

I don't, however, double-space while texting on my phone.  Too much work.

I had a college professor who would downgrade you if you submitted a paper with two spaces after a period. (Since it was a digital publishing course, a component of every assignment was to include the electronic file. Word has a couple handy tools to check for this.) That ended my double spacing habit very quickly, since the amount he would deduct grew as the semester went on.

Double spacing (or "the double tap" as my prof called it), was a carryover from typewriter/pre-word processor days. Most modern programs account for sentence spacing in the background based on what kind of punctuation you use. Double tapping just creates extra work for the typist in the long run. I recall the lectures regarding the "rivers" of white space the double tap creates under many text justifications (full justification being one of the worst).
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.