News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

GNYT5c - Post Mortem - December 25 - 30 2021

Started by snowc, November 07, 2021, 06:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayhawkCO

Quote from: thspfc on November 09, 2021, 05:24:58 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on November 09, 2021, 02:41:10 PM
Quote from: corco on November 09, 2021, 11:39:27 AM
HB and Rothman directly control the weather

Well, I guess I need to put in my order for no snow in West Virginia, southwestern Virginia, northeastern Tennessee, and possibly northwestern North Carolina for the first week of December, then.

Quote from: 1 on November 09, 2021, 02:29:43 PM
Quote from: thspfc on November 09, 2021, 02:24:26 PM
You're cancelling a large road trip over the possible threat of a little bit of snow, and a hunch that a fading pandemic is going to resurge?

You do you I guess.

The pandemic stopped fading about a week ago; it's now at about a constant level nationwide, and it's increasing big time in my area. (This isn't to say Syracuse matches where I live, though – other parts of Massachusetts aren't increasing as quickly as where I live, so it appears to be a local issue.)

But yes, the snow issue is ridiculous.

Even if there is an uptick in virus cases, and I don't know where this Delta + thing came from, as the last I heard the next variant is going to have another Greek letter name, a modicum of precautions can prevent it being a threat. I certainly haven't canceled any plans the past 18 months because of the virus. In fact, I went on a multi-state trip with my brother back in August when the resurgence was raging, with no ill effects.

I've called off trips before due to weather forecasts, but those have been decisions made much closer to the time of departure and with looking at the forecasts.

My brother has a hiking trip scheduled to the Grand Canyon in February, so there's a decent chance he'll run into snow somewhere along I-64, I-44, or I-40. He probably won't call the trip off unless he sees a big storm in the forecast a couple of days out from his departure.
I really haven't thought about Covid at all in the last several months. When Dane County's first mask mandate ended back in early June and I no longer had to wear a mask at work, that pretty much signaled the end of the pandemic to me. The mask mandate was reimplemented in early August, but at that point Covid was so dead to me (yes, I am vaccinated) that wearing a mask just became something that I did because I was supposed to.

I took two significant trips during the pandemic: skiing in Michigan in December 2020 (after which I briefly had Covid) and then skiing in Aspen in February 2021.

I'm vaxxed and boosted.  I work from home and all my friends and family are vaccinated.  I only wear a mask at this point when I go to the grocery store or some other place with a whole bunch of different kinds of folks all together.  But, I have a kid on the way in January, so I might have to revisit since he won't be able to get vaccinated anytime soon.

Chris

snowc

Quote from: jayhawkco on November 09, 2021, 05:38:44 PM
Quote from: thspfc on November 09, 2021, 05:24:58 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on November 09, 2021, 02:41:10 PM

Well, I guess I need to put in my order for no snow in West Virginia, southwestern Virginia, northeastern Tennessee, and possibly northwestern North Carolina for the first week of December, then.

You're cancelling a large road trip over the possible threat of a little bit of snow, and a hunch that a fading pandemic is going to resurge?

You do you I guess.

The pandemic stopped fading about a week ago; it's now at about a constant level nationwide, and it's increasing big time in my area. (This isn't to say Syracuse matches where I live, though – other parts of Massachusetts aren't increasing as quickly as where I live, so it appears to be a local issue.)

Even if there is an uptick in virus cases, and I don't know where this Delta + thing came from, as the last I heard the next variant is going to have another Greek letter name, a modicum of precautions can prevent it being a threat. I certainly haven't canceled any plans the past 18 months because of the virus. In fact, I went on a multi-state trip with my brother back in August when the resurgence was raging, with no ill effects.

I've called off trips before due to weather forecasts, but those have been decisions made much closer to the time of departure and with looking at the forecasts.

My brother has a hiking trip scheduled to the Grand Canyon in February, so there's a decent chance he'll run into snow somewhere along I-64, I-44, or I-40. He probably won't call the trip off unless he sees a big storm in the forecast a couple of days out from his departure.
I really haven't thought about Covid at all in the last several months. When Dane County's first mask mandate ended back in early June and I no longer had to wear a mask at work, that pretty much signaled the end of the pandemic to me. The mask mandate was reimplemented in early August, but at that point Covid was so dead to me (yes, I am vaccinated) that wearing a mask just became something that I did because I was supposed to.

I took two significant trips during the pandemic: skiing in Michigan in December 2020 (after which I briefly had Covid) and then skiing in Aspen in February 2021.

I'm vaxxed and boosted.  I work from home and all my friends and family are vaccinated.  I only wear a mask at this point when I go to the grocery store or some other place with a whole bunch of different kinds of folks all together.  But, I have a kid on the way in January, so I might have to revisit since he won't be able to get vaccinated anytime soon.

Chris
Im boosted starting this weekend at Either Walgreens or Thomas' Drug. Then on to Longhorn!  :clap:

Rothman

All these eligible people for the boost and I am somehow still ineligible...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

vdeane

You do you I guess.

Meanwhile in upstate NY, it was never fading in the first place.  It's kinda weird.  Downstate followed the same pattern as the rest of the country but with lower numbers, and anywhere north or west of the Capital District has been continuously surging up since early August, with no signs of stopping (if anything, it's accelerating).  The Capital District itself is in this weird in-between area; we've mostly been following the trend of upstate (though we might have had an actual dip or two that wasn't just reporting irregularities) but with lower numbers.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

froggie

Quote from: Rothman on November 09, 2021, 03:35:40 PM
I will bring down the wrath of God on Thanksgiving.  The snow will blanket the Northeast as it never has before.  Plow trucks will be useless.  Terror will seize upon the land.  The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, "SAVE US!"

...and I'll look down and whisper, "No."

Meanwhile, Vermonters will just say "eh" and carry on with business as usual...

snowc

Quote from: froggie on November 10, 2021, 10:26:53 AM
Quote from: Rothman on November 09, 2021, 03:35:40 PM
I will bring down the wrath of God on Thanksgiving.  The snow will blanket the Northeast as it never has before.  Plow trucks will be useless.  Terror will seize upon the land.  The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, "SAVE US!"

...and I'll look down and whisper, "No."

Meanwhile, Vermonters will just say "eh" and carry on with business as usual...
Whilst North Carolinians will be just  :rolleyes: saying  :no: to anything related to snow. But they get  :pan: on Christmas without warning!  :bigass:

snowc

Quote from: vdeane on November 09, 2021, 08:32:42 PM

You do you I guess.

Meanwhile in upstate NY, it was never fading in the first place.  It's kinda weird.  Downstate followed the same pattern as the rest of the country but with lower numbers, and anywhere north or west of the Capital District has been continuously surging up since early August, with no signs of stopping (if anything, it's accelerating).  The Capital District itself is in this weird in-between area; we've mostly been following the trend of upstate (though we might have had an actual dip or two that wasn't just reporting irregularities) but with lower numbers.
Delta+ doesnt seem to get it. We are vaxxed. No one needs another variant shutting down schools!  :paranoid:

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Rothman on November 09, 2021, 06:39:32 PM
All these eligible people for the boost and I am somehow still ineligible...

Colorado governor basically said he doesn't care about eligibility.  Just go get it.  I work part time bartending, so that qualifies me.

Chris

hbelkins

I suspect my brother's big travel issues, if any, will come in the Texas northern panhandle along I-40. My wife was in Dallas one February when they had some winter weather hit. They were totally unprepared to deal with it, and my understanding was they had to bring snow removal equipment in from that area to deal with the problems. There was a small layer of ice with a little snow on top of it. It would have been a nuisance here in Kentucky but it was a major issue in the DFW area.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

snowc

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 10, 2021, 02:01:05 PM
Quote from: snowc on November 10, 2021, 10:58:13 AM
But they get  :pan: on Christmas without warning!  :bigass:

What does this mean?
The :pan: means slam
Slammed means large snowfall
Christmas 2020 had a lot of snow in our area.
:clap:

1995hoo

Mildly amusing to see a user named "snowc" expressing concern about snow as a reason for calling off a planned trip!

(Not intended to make fun of him–just an amusing coincidence.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

thspfc

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 10, 2021, 03:12:06 PM
Mildly amusing to see a user named "snowc" expressing concern about snow as a reason for calling off a planned trip!

I think when you refuse to drive because it might snow a little bit on a day when you may or may not be driving and the roads you may be driving may or may not be already plowed, you can be poked fun at.

snowc

Quote from: thspfc on November 10, 2021, 03:30:00 PM

I think when you refuse to drive because it might snow a little bit on a day when you may or may not be driving and the roads you may be driving may or may not be already plowed, you can be poked fun at.
LOL @thspfc, but i don't drive yet. I get my permit on Friday. Then I can start driving.  :spin:

1995hoo

Not going to disagree with that comment, but there's a particular reason why I chose not to make fun of him for it.

Bruce

I'm thinking of doing a solo trip or two over the mountains during snow season (for the first time), but definitely not during a peak holiday weekend.

hbelkins

I wouldn't cancel a trip this far out just because it's winter, but I'd definitely keep an eye on the forecast and not go if snow was being predicted.

Nearly 20 years ago I had a work trip to DC planned. At the time I was driving a 4WD truck so I didn't really have any worries. I ran into snow along I-68 in Maryland (surprise) but had no issues. On the way back, I intended to drive I-66 to I-81 to I-64 for a change of pace, but it started snowing not long after I got out of the metro DC area (a stop at the Haymarket Sheetz for gas and breakfast). I know how truckers drive like idiots in the snow, so I bailed off I-81 at VA 55 and used what existed of Corridor H at the time. I was more comfortable climbing the Fore Knobs on WV 42 in a snowfall with decent accumulations than I was a skiff of snow on I-81 with trucks flying by without regard to weather conditions.

Now, I don't have a vehicle that is dependable in snow, so I would definitely not attempt a trip if snow was in the forecast.

And "may or may not be plowed" isn't really anything that can be counted on. I've seen it snow faster than the plows can keep it off.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Bruce on November 12, 2021, 12:02:19 AM
I'm thinking of doing a solo trip or two over the mountains during snow season (for the first time), but definitely not during a peak holiday weekend.

Aww, come out to Colorado where every weekend in ski season is a peak holiday weekend.  :sombrero:  It's super fun to drive in whiteout conditions along with everyone else over Loveland Pass because the Eisenhower Tunnel is closed because of accidents. #notreallyfun #doneittoomanytimes #touristsinsuvsaretheworst

Chris

1995hoo

Speaking of winter weather and Colorado: Even though I'm unlikely to do it, how realistic would it be to drive from Virginia to Sacramento during the second week of February in a car equipped with all-season tires? Would I probably have to go south via I-40 and then head north to Sacramento in order to avoid problems in the mountains through Colorado or Wyoming?

(I may have to go out there for a month for work. The idea of driving out and not requesting reimbursement for the mileage, given that it would likely cost more than roundtrip airfare, has crossed my mind, but I doubt it's realistic even setting aside the issue noted above. I have a feeling the roundtrip drive would just consume too much time that I won't really have available. I'd love to do it, though.)

JayhawkCO

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 12, 2021, 02:43:42 PM
Speaking of winter weather and Colorado: Even though I'm unlikely to do it, how realistic would it be to drive from Virginia to Sacramento during the second week of February in a car equipped with all-season tires? Would I probably have to go south via I-40 and then head north to Sacramento in order to avoid problems in the mountains through Colorado or Wyoming?

(I may have to go out there for a month for work. The idea of driving out and not requesting reimbursement for the mileage, given that it would likely cost more than roundtrip airfare, has crossed my mind, but I doubt it's realistic even setting aside the issue noted above. I have a feeling the roundtrip drive would just consume too much time that I won't really have available. I'd love to do it, though.)

Well, you're less likely to have issues in Colorado than Wyoming.  I-80, as I'm sure you know, gets closed constantly because of storms.  I-70 doesn't get closed nearly as often in Colorado, with the portion from Denver to Kansas being more likely than anything in the mountains.  Re: your tires, if they're not winter tires, you will be required by law to either carry chains or their equivalent (Autosock, cables, etc.) unless your car is AWD or 4WD. I don't find it that scary to drive in the mountains in snow, but obviously I drive in snow decently often and in the mountains more often than most.  The plowing in the mountains is early and often on the interstates as winter tourism is one of the life bloods of our economy.  If it's not snowing, the road will 100% be fine (although be careful coming down from the Eisenhower Tunnel into Silverthorne as, in my experience, that is the sketchiest portion of the whole drive with slush and meltwater).

1995hoo

Did not know that about I-80. The only place out that way I've been during the winter was a football trip to Boise in 2004, and for that I flew into Boise and the roads therefore weren't an issue.

The AWD drive part makes me think of trying to get my wife to let me take her car, though I doubt that's an option either.

Bruce

Quote from: jayhawkco on November 12, 2021, 12:39:53 PM
Quote from: Bruce on November 12, 2021, 12:02:19 AM

Aww, come out to Colorado where every weekend in ski season is a peak holiday weekend.  :sombrero:  It's super fun to drive in whiteout conditions along with everyone else over Loveland Pass because the Eisenhower Tunnel is closed because of accidents. #notreallyfun #doneittoomanytimes #touristsinsuvsaretheworst

Chris

Much of the same here, since two of the biggest ski areas are at the passes themselves (and the other passes near Seattle are closed for the entire winter). Sure to be in high demand now that they're able to fully reopen, on top of holiday thru travel.

Combined with the reduction in available staff for winter road maintenance, it's going to be a fun season.

D-Dey65

Well unfortunately, my recent trip to NYC and back was made without new anti-freeze, and the same tires I had from 2 years ago.

Fortunately, nothing bad happened as a result. The tires are all-weather tires, but I don't think that has much to do with it.

thspfc

Not unrealistic. Winter weather could delay you by a day at most. I-70 west of Denver is almost always plowed well.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: thspfc on December 04, 2021, 11:03:51 AM
Not unrealistic. Winter weather could delay you by a day at most. I-70 west of Denver is almost always plowed well.

Wouldn't it depend on the size of the storm(s)? It's not like they're all the same.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.