News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Your "Signature" Thread

Started by CoreySamson, March 03, 2022, 04:02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoreySamson

Inspired by a couple comments in the "Random Thoughts" thread, this thread is about showcasing what you would consider your signature or trademark thread. Maybe it has a lot of views or replies, perhaps it has your greatest roadgeek contributions, or maybe it's simply your most iconic.

Here's what I would probably consider to be mine:

Most Crucial to Forum Lore:
"Your Favorite Forum Quotes" (also happens to be the thread where I stumbled upon the fact that SafeSpeeder was a sockpuppet)
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=29682.0

My Fictional Highways Thread:
"CoreySamson's Fictional Interstate Plans"
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=30237.0

Best Overall Contribution (in my opinion):
"General Houston-area projects thread"
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=29516.0
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

hotdogPi

Lowest route number you haven't been on (although Rothman's taken over that one)
Road Sign UNO
Changing one letter of a thread title
Single ideas that aren't enough for their own thread
Compilation: FritzOwl in one thread
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kphoger

Quote from: 1 on March 03, 2022, 04:10:46 PM
Road Sign UNO

Yes, thank you for taking that snarky idea from me and turning it into an actual thread.  It went way better than I expected (which is why I didn't bother making one to begin with).  :)
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

formulanone

I've only started about 20 threads in 10 years; mostly for my own amusement and not expecting many replies.

I had a lot of fun with this one and received lots of help: Roads Underneath Airport Runways and/or Taxiways

Not fair to count this one: Pics

NWI_Irish96

Closest stretches of highway you have not clinched

State you have entered least recently
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

JayhawkCO

SkyPesos

Probably "Random facts about interstates and US routes" for me, though I wouldn't say that it's my favorite thread.

Max Rockatansky

The sorry state of affairs in Automobila in the 1970s, 80s and 90s:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=17891.msg2205096#msg2205096

Sign Collecting

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=17891.msg2205096#msg2205096

Your current car!

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=18254.msg2155590#msg2155590

This might be my favorite because it upset the established history of story of the western terminus of US 66 courtesy the AASHTO database and Los Angeles City Council Minutes:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=25112.msg2711956#new

Apparently only seven threads in Pacific Southwest have ever exceeded 200 replies, that surprises me.  It seems as though much of the activity on the board happened in the past.

kphoger

Are we all agreed that Scott's is this?
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hotdogPi

Quote from: kphoger on March 03, 2022, 04:55:13 PM

If limited to threads created by that user, yes. However, there is and is not one that he took over (especially since the OP got banned).
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

formulanone

Quote from: 1 on March 03, 2022, 04:58:02 PM

If limited to threads created by that user, yes. However, there is and is not one that he took over (especially since the OP got banned).

Pending a decision from Eureka Police Department v. SbarroⓇ Oblast, of course.

webny99

So, no surprise to anyone that I went way overboard on this, but a bit of a three-dimensional reply here...

The crazy thing is that my longest thread by far isn't even road-related at all: the NFL (202X Season) thread. It also happens to be the longest Sports thread on the forum, but it's only so long because it spans multiple years now (and there seems to be a lot more NFL banter on the forum now, in which I owe my humble part  :biggrin:).

I also have a couple of notable food related threads, Fastest Fast Food and Locally famous foods; and a bunch of other Off-Topic threads, (some of which I'm not proud of at all), including Fastest-growing suburbs, defining the Rust Belt, defining Upstate New York, ambiguous city names, some attempted DST threads, and a whole bunch more.

As for the actual road stuff, my most enduring contribution is probably Rural Freeways that Need Six Lanes, which I am certainly honored by given my advocacy for six-laning of rural freeways over the years!

A few of my other notable thread contributions would include:
-Busiest 2-lane roads
-Nearest Freeway Segment You've Never Driven
-Crossroads of Your State
-Traffic lights on roads with high speed limits
-States Ranked by Signage Quality
-Plus a bunch of fictional threads, none of which are particularly special IMO.

And yet, I believe some of my most significant contributions to the forum have been in the Travel Board; as of this posting, I've started 4 of the top 12 topics in Travel. The most prominent one length-wise is the Guess the City Challenge, a rare successful spin-off of the Guess the State/Province challenge, itself the longest thread in the Travel board, and inspired in part by I can't believe this is in this state, which has gone on to become an enduring theme of the game and its spinoffs.

Some of my other Travel board contributions include a revived "Clinching Counties" thread, crazy travel stats and fun facts, states you've come closest to visiting, and a whole bunch of other shorter threads. Overall, the Travel board is my Most Popular Board By Activity, as I've made 1155 posts there, amounting to 12.54% of my posts and 4.18% of the total posts in that board.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: formulanone on March 03, 2022, 05:01:29 PM
Quote from: 1 on March 03, 2022, 04:58:02 PM

Pending a decision from Eureka Police Department v. SbarroⓇ Oblast, of course.

There is NO Grand Alan.  :ded:

Bruce

The COVID thread, before it got locked.

webny99

Quote from: CoreySamson on March 03, 2022, 04:02:00 PM
Best Overall Contribution (in my opinion):
"General Houston-area projects thread"
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=29516.0

Good on you! One thing I am lacking is a significant contribution to the Northeast board - I don't even have a top-100 thread in that board as I mostly just follow along with the state- and project- specific threads and have done a lot more learning there than contributing.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on March 03, 2022, 04:15:43 PM
Quote from: 1 on March 03, 2022, 04:10:46 PM
Road Sign UNO

Yes, thank you for taking that snarky idea from me and turning it into an actual thread.  It went way better than I expected (which is why I didn't bother making one to begin with).  :)

So much better, in fact, that it's currently the longest thread on the entire forum by a fairly wide margin.

LilianaUwU

I don't create a lot of threads, but the one I like (and have in my signature, thus literally making it a signature thread) is the one where I describe what roads I built in my Minecraft world.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

7/8

By far my biggest thread is The 1-2-3 Route Number Difference Game, which lasted almost 4 years and made it up to 803.

This recent thread (Drive-thru's backing up onto streets) reminded me that I started a similar thread back in 2016 (Restaurants that cause traffic problems) which made it to four pages.

My only other thread to reach four pages is Cities with odd street networks. Though I'm fond of this one: Funny/Stupid Commercials and Ads.

SkyPesos

Tolbs's signature thread: Peekaboo
Lord Carhorn's signature thread: Illinois isn't flat

jakeroot

I think the "Double left turns with permissive phasing" thread is something a lot of traffic-control roadgeeks associate with me. It's up to 500+ posts, and I still post/check there regularly, as do others.

I also started the Alaskan Way Viaduct replacement tunnel thread, which amassed almost 900 posts. It has been dormant for a while now, as the tunnel opened three years ago.

Also started the general Washington and British Columbia threads, the former of which has the most posts in any thread I've started (1100+), but those are meant to be catch-all threads not associated with anyone in particular. The only notable thing I did in the Washington thread (in the OP) was list all users associated with Washington, which is not something I've seen on other catch-all threads. I've gone back and edited it quite a bit to add everyone.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SkyPesos on March 03, 2022, 06:08:20 PM
Tolbs's signature thread: Peekaboo
Lord Carhorn's signature thread: Illinois isn't flat

With tolbs's Peekaboo thread mostly got neutered out of existence this would be the actual signature:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=29865.0

That said, I do understand.  At college age I would do almost anything to impress an attractive girl.  Posting something like a questionable topics on a web forum topic would definitely be on the menu.   

As far as "Illinois isn't flat,"  that is Teddy Roosevelt's signature thread. 

How can forget the Sabb Manifesto as a signature thread?

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=16790.msg2128080#msg2128080

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Quote from: Bruce on March 03, 2022, 05:08:37 PM

Ah, that was you.  I couldn't remember.  I knew it was one of the members from the west coast area, but I didn't remember which one.  For some reason, I would have guessed |bing101|, actually.

Quote from: jakeroot on March 03, 2022, 06:20:21 PM
I think the "Double left turns with permissive phasing" thread is something a lot of traffic-control roadgeeks associate with me. It's up to 500+ posts, and I still post/check there regularly, as do others.

Yes, that one was the perfect pick for your signature thread.

As for my own, well...  None of my threads are really active anymore.  They've all kind of run their course, or else they're "project" threads and I gave up on the project that started them.  So I'll approach the question from a different angle:

I'm a nitpicker:  The Oxford Comma
I frequently bring up Mexico:  Mexico - Where to find highway data
I'm snarky:  Favorite breed of guinea pig
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on March 03, 2022, 06:57:36 PM
Quote from: Bruce on March 03, 2022, 05:08:37 PM

Ah, that was you.  I couldn't remember.  I knew it was one of the members from the west coast area, but I didn't remember which one.  For some reason, I would have guessed |bing101|, actually.

That one is actually a pretty easy find: just sort the Off-Topic board by descending replies, and it's right on top and probably will be for a while.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.