News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Do you think that 12 ft 4 bridge needs to be turned into a RXR Crossing

Started by Lukeisroads, June 10, 2022, 09:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think?

Yes
No

ZLoth

Quote from: Troubleshooter on March 23, 2023, 12:12:29 PM
This bridge is a railroad bridge over a local street in Bloomington IN.
https://goo.gl/maps/Zbdu1iyEz69oaVs67

(text deleted)

The truck used that underpass because the road a block to the west was closed.

Hmmm... one block west, and the underpass is 12' 0" high, but as you stated, it was closed. Two blocks east, however, and it's a at-grade crossing.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

kphoger

When I used to drive a box truck for a living, if I came to a bridge I wasn't sure I could fit under, I would stop the truck a couple of feet short of the bridge, get out, and climb up on top of the cab just to make sure.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

wanderer2575

Here's one that stumped even the driver who hit the bridge and the police.

The problem is that the truck that hit the 9'6" bridge was a single box that was only 8'6" high.

The answer was that the road rises on both sides of the bridge, and that both ends of the truck were on road higher than the the road under the bridge.

This is the mirror image of when a low-undercarriage-clearance vehicle gets stuck on a railroad crossing because the rise and fall of the approaches are too steep for the vehicle.

mrsman

Quote from: wanderer2575 on March 23, 2023, 04:02:32 PM
Here's one that stumped even the driver who hit the bridge and the police.

The problem is that the truck that hit the 9'6" bridge was a single box that was only 8'6" high.

The answer was that the road rises on both sides of the bridge, and that both ends of the truck were on road higher than the the road under the bridge.

This is the mirror image of when a low-undercarriage-clearance vehicle gets stuck on a railroad crossing because the rise and fall of the approaches are too steep for the vehicle.

If that is the case, shouldn't the clearance sign have a lower height to account for this possibility?

Can you link to any articles that discuss this?  It does seem to be a curiosity.

Road Hog

Most DOTs ought to account for clearances at various angles, especially for standard 53' trailers. Unfortunately most of these low-clearance RR underpasses have been handed off to cities and counties who either don't want to deal or are glad to accept fines from violators who get their can opened.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.