I been noticing Dollar Generals has been popping up everywhere.

Started by XamotCGC, June 28, 2022, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amroad17

Quote from: Big John on January 18, 2023, 02:55:05 AM
Quote from: amroad17 on January 18, 2023, 02:04:19 AM
Our Dollar Tree here in Covington has had their prices go to $1.25 about six months ago.  My wife and I joke that we are going to the "Dollar 25 Tree".  :D
They did that nationwide.
I figured that.  I couldn't see one unit out of 15,000+ units raising their prices.  It is still a good deal.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

hotdogPi

Our Dollar Tree here in Covington has had their prices go to $1.25 about six months ago.  My wife and I joke that we are going to the "Dollar 25 Tree".  :D

Quasquidollar Tree
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kalvado

Quote from: Bruce on January 17, 2023, 10:21:38 PM
Canada has their own variety of dollar stores (Dollar Tree[maple leaf mark], Dollarama, Great Canadian Dollar Store, Your Dollar Store with More) that can be pretty decent. The "Great Canadian Dollar Store" is more of a loose association of franchises judging by how different the products are in various towns. They all start at $1.50 CAD, though, so soon they'll have to rename themselves to Loonie bins.
Old books mention 10 cent stores....

formulanone

Quote from: 1 on January 18, 2023, 07:06:52 AM

Quasquidollar Tree

Dollafiddy Tree

GaryV

Quote from: kalvado on January 18, 2023, 07:26:01 AM
Old books mention 10 cent stores....
Old people remember shopping in dime stores. Sometimes even called 5 and dimes.

(I resemble that remark)

Rothman

My grandfather owned a Ben Franklin five-and-dime for over fifty years.  You don't have to be that old to remember them... :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Big John

GaryV

Quote from: Rothman on January 18, 2023, 05:29:03 PM
My grandfather owned a Ben Franklin five-and-dime for over fifty years.  You don't have to be that old to remember them... :D

I remember where the one was that we shopped at, around the corner from my great aunt's apartment:
https://goo.gl/maps/9WUWDvPeLQMAJ4Fo8

Takumi

Quote from: Big John on January 18, 2023, 05:53:19 PM
^^ and Woolworth was in the same category

You don't have to be old to remember Woolworths either. You just have to have been in the southern hemisphere if you're not.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Dirt Roads

^^^
But you do need to be much older to remember "Woolworth's 5 and 10 Cent"  store and "Kresge's 5¢ and 10¢"  store.  I remember only one of those Woolworth's, but all of the Kresge's had moved up the ladder (and that Woolworth's moved up when I was very small).  "Ben Franklin 5-10 Store" rode it out many more years, and we still had one in Hurricane, West Virginia into the late 1970s.  Eventually, those guys moved up the ladder as well (such as the "Ben Franklin 5¢-10¢ And Up" stores).

Rothman

Quote from: Dirt Roads on January 18, 2023, 08:33:04 PM
^^^
But you do need to be much older to remember "Woolworth's 5 and 10 Cent"  store and "Kresge's 5¢ and 10¢"  store.  I remember only one of those Woolworth's, but all of the Kresge's had moved up the ladder (and that Woolworth's moved up when I was very small).  "Ben Franklin 5-10 Store" rode it out many more years, and we still had one in Hurricane, West Virginia into the late 1970s.  Eventually, those guys moved up the ladder as well (such as the "Ben Franklin 5¢-10¢ And Up" stores).
My grandfather's had "5-10" signage up until it closed in the 1990s.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Flint1979

I remember both Woolworth's and Kresge's. The Kresge's that was by me turned into a McCrory's.

adt1982

The Dollar General in Litchfield moved from a strip mall (off old US 66 at the west side of town) to the old Family Video (just off downtown).  I've shopped there much more frequently as it is now much closer to me (and most of the town's population) and makes it practical to run in for one or two items rather than going all the way to Walmart.

ibthebigd

Dollar General has taken over a lot of old Family Video locations.

SM-G996U

Flint1979

Quote from: ibthebigd on January 22, 2023, 08:42:26 PM
Dollar General has taken over a lot of old Family Video locations.

SM-G996U
Yep like this one about a mile and a half from my house. In fact I was in there one time not too long after it opened as a Dollar General and there was a lady in the store complaining to the employees there about their delivery truck being in the way, sitting there running and the people working there told her there was nothing they could do about it, call corporate.

Anyway this is the store, https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4431912,-83.975365,3a,25.1y,47.65h,90.78t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1svOmcvQNEqkApeic4C1o3gA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

This GSV shows what the lady was complaining about, I'm assuming she lives in the house here. She wasn't complaining about the pickup truck with the trailer, she was complaining about a Dollar General semi truck. https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4431912,-83.975365,3a,50y,106.23h,89.92t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1svOmcvQNEqkApeic4C1o3gA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

golden eagle

There's a DG in Bentonia, MS (population 319), about 25 north of Jackson on US 49. It's practically in the middle of nowhere. There's a DG store eight miles down the road in Flora, as well as a Family Dollar/Dollar Tree combo.

Has anyone been to Dollar General Market? It's been some time since I've been in it, but there's one in Canton, MS. It's a "swankier" version and they have a small grocery section, which is why the word "market" appears in the name.

XamotCGC

J. J. Newberry's is the first store that comes to mind when I think of Five and Dime stores.
Roads clinched.
State Routes: Kentucky:  KY 208 KY 289 KY 555 KY 2154 KY 245 KY 1195

skluth

Speaking of DGs in the middle of nowhere, there's this one a few miles north of Yucca Valley. That's despite this DG in Yucca Valley and this one in nearby Joshua Tree.

thenetwork

DGs in my area have the shoddiest carts.  They look like a junior high Shop class welded the metal together on the carts ‐‐ some of those carts are literally coming apart.

They definitely go cheaper than what Kmart did in their final years.  At least the plastic Kmart carts were durable.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.