News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Traffic Sign That Looks Nothing Like A Traffic Sign

Started by Brian556, December 23, 2022, 08:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

Henry

Guess they didn't have the money to put up an orange sign.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

webny99

Or, a business or resident decided to take things into their own hands in the absence of any official guidance from TN's DOT.

kalvado

Or someone is unhappy with the traffic in front of their house

JoePCool14

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

LilianaUwU

Quote from: JoePCool14 on December 23, 2022, 09:38:58 PM
Please do not ignore!!
That wording alone would make it sure I would ignore that sign.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

uknowbeers

Once you got to the detour point ahead, this restriction was marked with light-up board real DOT signs.

The truck-friendly section of Ochs "extension" in Georgia (GA-157) past the TN line (this sign was in TN) was temporarily closed due to rockslide repairs. The Ochs "Cut" detour is indeed not permissible for most trucks. The work has since been finished.

The sign was made by Rock City/Ruby Falls (as it's in their font).

epzik8

From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

1995hoo

Was there an issue with trucks whose drivers were unaware of the closure, or who ignored signs about it, having to turn around on private property or via a business parking lot or similar? If so, I could easily see the property owner or the business posting those signs.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

uknowbeers

It's a narrow mountain road. The sign is really for the trucker's good.

There are no private properties on the sides as it's National Parkland on the side of a hill. I know some trucks got ticketed and police had to help them navigate the tough curves (and close the other lane), or they tried to turn around in a many-point turn.

jakeroot

This giant rectangular "YIELD" sign, complete with English and Japanese text, attached to a fence in Okinawa, Japan, opposite the termination of a road at a T-junction:

https://goo.gl/maps/zm64zRbT1aQKSLaRA

The actual yield sign in Japan is a triangular sign, placed near-side, that translates to "Going Slowly". Not sure I've seen one with English writing on it, you just kind of have to know it.

LilianaUwU

Quote from: jakeroot on December 25, 2022, 10:46:38 PM
This giant rectangular "YIELD" sign, complete with English and Japanese text, attached to a fence in Okinawa, Japan, opposite the termination of a road at a T-junction:

The actual yield sign in Japan is a triangular sign, placed near-side, that translates to "Going Slowly". Not sure I've seen one with English writing on it, you just kind of have to know it.

If the diamond on the ground means the same thing as in the US (I suspect it doesn't), maybe this is a bus-only street for that one corner? This would explain the substandard signage.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

jakeroot

Quote from: LilianaUwU on December 25, 2022, 10:53:11 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on December 25, 2022, 10:46:38 PM

If the diamond on the ground means the same thing as in the US (I suspect it doesn't), maybe this is a bus-only street for that one corner? This would explain the substandard signage.

No, nothing like that. Diamonds just mean there is a crosswalk ahead.

Quite a few junctions in Japan just require yielding rather than a full stop, but the markings make it clear enough that you have to yield, even without a sign. I don't know why they felt the need to reenforce the rule here...maybe too many dumb Americans like me flying through the intersection.

Takumi

A few years ago, when US 301's bridge over the Nottoway River was being replaced, this intersection had a handwritten sign that just said "301"  with a left arrow. 301's official detour was I-95 from exits 31 to 24, but I guess this was posted as an alternative to those who were either lost or coming from the back roads to the west and heading towards Emporia.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.