What is the oldest state-maintained pavement in each state?

Started by IowaTraveler, January 13, 2023, 02:56:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IowaTraveler

This is a thread idea that I've had in my head for a while now. I was really surprised that I wasn't able to find any previous threads about this topic, since this idea seems like it has a lot of potential. Like the title says, the goal of this thread to find the section of state-maintained highway in each state that currently has the oldest pavement.

Rules:
The only rules are that it has to be on a road that is currently maintained by a state agency and it has to be on a signed highway, so former highways and unsigned highways don't count. Anything else goes, whether it be an interstate, US highway, or state highway. For states that have secondary state highway systems, those count too as long as they follow the rules above, although maybe they should be listed in a separate category since they usually have lower maintenance standards.

Here are examples for a few states to get us started:
Iowa:
Iowa actually has a lot of two-lane highways that still have concrete from the 1950s and early 1960s, although that number has began decreasing rapidly over the last few years. Most of them have held up well and many of them are in remarkably good condition for their age. To the best of my knowledge, the oldest of them all is the section of IA 183 between Soldier and Ute in western Iowa, which still has the original concrete from when it was first paved in 1950. What sets this road apart from all of the other 1950s concrete in Iowa's highway system is that this concrete doesn't have any transverse joints. When this road was first paved, each lane would have been a continuous ribbon of concrete with a longitudinal joint running down the center line. For some reason, there was a brief period in the late 1940s and early 1950s when the Iowa Highway Commission stopped putting transverse joints in their concrete roads, even though they had previously been doing it since the mid-1930s.

Arkansas:
The oldest pavement that I know of on a highway in Arkansas is this section of AR 197 that runs along an old alignment of AR 22 that still has the original concrete from when it was first paved in 1930. There is even a bridge at the west end that dates to 1929. I originally found out about this road because Arkansas has it listed on the NRHP.

Oklahoma:
The oldest pavement that I know of on a highway in Oklahoma is the section of US 281 just west of the Canadian River bridge. This section of US 281 (and OK 8) runs concurrently with old US 66, and it has the original concrete from when that section of US 66 was first paved in 1933 and 1934. In addition to the Canadian River bridge that is being rebuilt, this section of US 281 has another bridge that dates to the original paving of the highway in 1933.

Just as a side note, the roads you list don't have to be concrete, even though the ones I listed all are (I imagine that most of them will be concrete though, since it tends to last longer than asphalt).

Max Rockatansky

Very likely the closed but still Caltrans owned segment of CA 39 north of Azusa. 

Mr. Matté

NJ's is probably pretty easy since they give it a plug (also helps that it was created in part by Thomas Edison):

One mile of Route 57, 1912

US 89

Utah is really good at resurfacing its roads and keeping them up, so I can't imagine there's much if any old stuff just hiding out there.

The oldest interstate pavement in the state, I believe, is some 1971 concrete on a few miles of I-15 in Centerville and Farmington.

TheStranger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 13, 2023, 03:17:17 PM
Very likely the closed but still Caltrans owned segment of CA 39 north of Azusa. 

How old does that stretch of road date to?

The oldest road in the Bay Area that is under state maintenance likely is the concrete section of Route 82 in Colma (former US 101 along El Camino Real/Mission Street), which I think dates back to the 1940s.
Chris Sampang

skluth

mgk920

Most WisDOT roadways that were around in the mid 1970s (at least the busy ones) have since been redone due to being chewed to pieces during the ten years or so when studded tires were legal in the state.

The part of College Ave (WI 125) that is closest to I-41 here in the Appleton area was concrete paved in the mid 1970s.

Mike

mgk920

Driving College Ave earlier this afternoon, I found that yes, that 50 or so year old concrete is still there, but it is under an asphalt overlay that was laid a few years ago, but that late-1960s concrete is still the diving surface on College Ave in through the I-41 interchange itself (yes, there are a significant number of squares that has been replaced over that time).

Mike

Takumi

For Virginia's primary system, I think VA 272 in Suffolk has the oldest pavement in the state, with some very old concrete. I'm sure there's some secondary road somewhere that hasn't been repaved since like the 1930s, though.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

hbelkins

The only definitive statement I can give for Kentucky is I-64 between Midway and Frankfort. The concrete pavement dates to 1971, when the road first opened to traffic.

There may be some older concrete segments left on some of the parkways that I don't frequently travel.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hbelkins

Supplementing the above to note that there are some concrete ramps on the Mountain Parkway that date back to the road's opening in 1963.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Dirt Roads

It looks like West Virginia has paved over all of the old sections.  The oldest stretch that I can find is an original concrete section of WV-20 (Marshall Street) in Clarksburg between the Clarksburg Expressway (US-50) and East Main Street that was widened to three lanes in 1977 during the completion of Corridor D.  Even the adjacent Harrison Street overpass of Corridor D has been repaved.

Corridor G (US-119) still has original concrete pavement from Danville to the Lincoln County Line (except bridge approaches).  Some of the sections just north of Danville are in pretty bad shape.  That section dates back to 1982.

pderocco

Quote from: TheStranger on January 14, 2023, 02:10:36 AM

It first appears on the Cal Official maps in 1963. Concrete can certainly outlast that, and I know of lots of streets that have contractor imprints dating from the late 1920s, but state highways get much more punishment, and usually get rebuilt or paved over with asphalt in less than that time.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: pderocco on January 21, 2023, 03:05:47 AM
Quote from: TheStranger on January 14, 2023, 02:10:36 AM

It first appears on the Cal Official maps in 1963. Concrete can certainly outlast that, and I know of lots of streets that have contractor imprints dating from the late 1920s, but state highways get much more punishment, and usually get rebuilt or paved over with asphalt in less than that time.

There is a lot of older state highway out there like the San Juan Grade (Old US 101) and the Old Ridge Route (Old US 99) which are stilled surfaced in 1920s era Portland Cement.  Early era Portland Cement lasts pretty much forever but none of those roads are maintained by the state.  Someone mentioned CA 82 still having some 1940s era cement from when it was mainline US 101.

IowaTraveler

Quote from: Takumi on January 16, 2023, 12:07:48 AM
For Virginia's primary system, I think VA 272 in Suffolk has the oldest pavement in the state, with some very old concrete.

I decided to look further into this, and after some time digging through newspaper archives I was able to find a few newspaper articles indicating that the concrete on VA 189 and VA 272 dates back to 1950. That's actually a bit earlier than I expected, especially since that concrete is 24 feet wide.

JREwing78

This section of US-41, according to michiganhighways.org, had a realignment in 1957. It seems incredible to me that this concrete has survived 65 U.P. winters. However, I can confirm it was already fairly old and patched up in the mid 1990s when I started attending Michigan Tech, and it has not been overlaid or fully rebuilt since. Is it really 65 years old?

US-41, Chassell, MI - https://goo.gl/maps/JW8NDdNDrNBUaKVs5

My 2nd nomination, further on down US-41, in Gladstone, this is pretty obviously 1962-vintage concrete: https://goo.gl/maps/P2bL6rqFp576gx1dA

More: http://www.michiganhighways.org/listings/US-041.html

In the L.P., for a few more months, there's about a half-mile to a mile of 1970ish concrete surface on I-496 through Lansing, between Martin Luther King (M-99) and Grand Ave:
https://goo.gl/maps/2PVeGK79MZXWKnjP9
http://www.michiganhighways.org/listings/MichHwys250-696.html#I-496

Also, this stretch of US-127 between I-496 and I-69 dates from 1973-74, with the Homer St/Howard Ave frontage streets a couple years older.
https://goo.gl/maps/Cyj1d6VK7hPHggbK9
http://www.michiganhighways.org/listings/US-127.html

MoiraPrime

I feel like US 49 between Gulfport and Saucier might count, at least in Mississippi. I don't know if there's anything older, but the concrete slabs on the original 2 lane half of US 49 have to be pretty old. Along with the concrete sections of Interstate 59 between Hattiesburg and Moselle... but MDOT is currently in the process of removing that section and repaving it with asphalt.

US 89

Quote from: MoiraPrime on January 22, 2023, 10:39:34 PM
I feel like US 49 between Gulfport and Saucier might count, at least in Mississippi. I don't know if there's anything older, but the concrete slabs on the original 2 lane half of US 49 have to be pretty old. Along with the concrete sections of Interstate 59 between Hattiesburg and Moselle... but MDOT is currently in the process of removing that section and repaving it with asphalt.

I wouldn't be surprised if the concrete on US 61 near Hollandale is close to that age. I drove that this past summer.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.