Highest-elevation traffic lights in the US?

Started by KCRoadFan, January 17, 2023, 01:14:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCRoadFan

I think someone may have already asked this, but here it is, because I just thought of it.

Across the country, where are the traffic lights at the highest elevation located? I'm guessing that throughout the country overall, it's probably in Leadville, CO.

Outside of Colorado, I'm pretty sure it's probably Santa Fe, NM; east of the Mississippi, my guess is most likely one of those mountain towns in western North Carolina - either Asheville or Boone - unless the Smokies resort towns of eastern Tennessee, like Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge, happen to be at a higher altitude.

Can anyone verify or contradict these? If it's the latter, where would the highest-elevation traffic lights fitting the above parameters be located? I'm interested to hear more.

zzcarp

It's only in service when CDOT is metering the traffic to the Eisenhower-Johnson tunnel but there is one at the west portal at 11,158 feet. That's about 1,000 feet above Leadville's.
So many miles and so many roads

US 89

Quote from: KCRoadFan on January 17, 2023, 01:14:14 AM
Outside of Colorado, I'm pretty sure it's probably Santa Fe, NM

There is one in Bryce Canyon City, Utah at 7650 feet, which appears to be higher than anything signalized in Santa Fe.

Santa Fe probably isn't even the highest signal in NM. Los Alamos is a couple hundred feet higher and has a few signals, but they're only about 7200 feet.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: US 89 on January 17, 2023, 04:41:48 PM

There is one in Bryce Canyon City, Utah at 7650 feet, which appears to be higher than anything signalized in Santa Fe.

Santa Fe probably isn't even the highest signal in NM. Los Alamos is a couple hundred feet higher and has a few signals, but they're only about 7200 feet.

Anything at Angel Fire or Taos Ski Valley?

Dirt Roads

There's a traffic signal at the western edge of Grandfather Mountain in Tynecastle, North Carolina at the intersection of NC-105 and NC-184.  The traffic signal is very close to the Eastern Continental Divide, with an elevation of about 4,080 feet at the intersection. 

It's not a traffic signal, but there is also this signage flasher warning you about the presence of a Food Lion just east of Sugar Mountain just up from Tynecastle on NC-184.  The elevation there is about 4,205 feet. 

zzcarp

Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 17, 2023, 05:24:56 PM

Anything at Angel Fire or Taos Ski Valley?

I didn't see any at Angel Fire or Taos based on my cursory glance at streetview for those sites.

Mammoth Lakes in California at 7,881 seems to be the next highest place outside of Colorado that has a traffic light.

Here's the list of municipalities by elevation in Wikipedia for anyone who wants to investigate further. By I do believe that there are 17 places in Colorado with higher traffic lights before we have the first out-of-state on in California.

1. Eisenhower Tunnel
2. Leadville
3. Fairplay
4. Breckenridge
5. Dillon
6. Frisco
7. Winter Park
8. Silverthorne
9. Empire (traffic light for ped crossing)
10. Frasier
11. Black Hawk
12. Woodland Park
13. near Snowmass Village
14. Aspen
15. Buena Vista
16. Granby
17. Del Norte
18. Mammoth Lakes, CA

So many miles and so many roads

Rothman

What about Cedar Breaks?  Any up there at 10,000 feet-plus?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

US 89

Quote from: Rothman on January 17, 2023, 06:11:14 PM

Santa Fe probably isn’t even the highest signal in NM. Los Alamos is a couple hundred feet higher and has a few signals, but they’re only about 7200 feet.
What about Cedar Breaks?  Any up there at 10,000 feet-plus?

Nope. Brian Head is almost 10,000 feet, but still isn't big enough for a light. Utah doesn't really do rural traffic signals, and seems to go to great lengths to avoid installing one (see US 89/SR 12, which would be a perfect candidate for one but is instead just a stop sign with a crapload of "cross traffic approaching" warning beacons).

Unless I'm forgetting something, the next highest one in the state would be the Park/Empire/Deer Valley intersection in Park City, which is roughly 6900 feet. Unlike Colorado, Utah doesn't really have much in the way of high-elevation population.

EDIT: I was in fact forgetting just how high Monticello was. The next highest would be the US 191/491 intersection at 7070 feet elevation.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.