News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

PC run good

Started by JoePCool14, January 19, 2023, 08:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZLoth

Quote from: CovalenceSTU on February 05, 2023, 11:22:04 PM
Quote from: Bruce on February 05, 2023, 04:54:39 PM
SSD prices have been dropping quite a lot lately. One 2TB SATA unit that I ordered in November for $131 is now going for $116.
I paid $60 for a 500GB NVMe drive around 2 years ago, but I opened PCPartPicker for a look and 1TB ones are as little as $50 now. Looks like Moore's Law is proving to be an underestimation :)

I think that might be more of a supply-demand thing than anything else. Everyone was buying PCs in 2020 and 2021. By now, the demand has been trickling down. Those who needed a new PC or laptop to work from home, or whoever wanted one for fun at home, got one already. Except for me, I waited until now.
[/quote]

Also, the gamers. For the past few years, the cybercurrency craze caused the price of gaming graphics cards to skyrocket to stratospheric levels and making it too expensive for the regular gamers to purchase the cards. I don't know about AMD, but this affected both the nVidia 2xxx and 3xxx series up until early 2022 when the market crashed. As a result, the graphics card manufacturers had a glut of 3xxx cards. When nVidia introduced the 4xxx series last fall, they only introduced the 4080 and 4090 cards, and then only at inflated MSRP pricing during the holiday season in order to clear out the 3xxx inventory. I've been holding off on replacing my 1080 card with a 4080 card until the prices drop.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

JoePCool14

Quote from: ZLoth on February 06, 2023, 10:43:59 AM
Also, the gamers. For the past few years, the cybercurrency craze caused the price of gaming graphics cards to skyrocket to stratospheric levels and making it too expensive for the regular gamers to purchase the cards. I don't know about AMD, but this affected both the nVidia 2xxx and 3xxx series up until early 2022 when the market crashed. As a result, the graphics card manufacturers had a glut of 3xxx cards. When nVidia introduced the 4xxx series last fall, they only introduced the 4080 and 4090 cards, and then only at inflated MSRP pricing during the holiday season in order to clear out the 3xxx inventory. I've been holding off on replacing my 1080 card with a 4080 card until the prices drop.

Bingo. That's the other big reason graphics cards have finally come down in price.

Overall, I'd say now is the right time to be making upgrades to your machine (or a brand new one). If you have the money available, of course thanks to our wonderful inflation.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Bruce

I have hundreds of open Chrome tabs on my laptop and desktop (a symptom of too many concurrent research projects and no desire to close them out). Might need to upgrade my RAM, but luckily things aren't too hard on my poor little PCs.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.