I-10 Between Casa Grande and Phoenix to be FINALLY Widened???

Started by thenetwork, January 31, 2023, 08:29:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenetwork

Looks like the State of Arizona if FINALLY going to finish the missing 3rd lane gap, hell or high water.

https://www.abc15.com/news/operation-safe-roads/i-10-improvement-project-to-start-despite-lack-of-federal-funding?_amp=true

It's about time!!!

KeithE4Phx

It says they still don't have the money yet.  But AFAIK, they did work out a deal with the Gila River Indian Community to allow it to proceed.  Most of that road is on their land, and they fought it for years.

Living in east Mesa, I don't have to deal with that garbage when I drive to Tucson.  AZ 79, despite being a two-lane road, is much faster for us.  Once the new Pinal North-South Freeway between I-10 at Eloy and US 60 at Apache Junction is built (maybe in my lifetime, but I'm 67 so who knows?), it'll be even easier.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

kwellada

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on January 31, 2023, 08:51:38 PM
Living in east Mesa, I don't have to deal with that garbage when I drive to Tucson.  AZ 79, despite being a two-lane road, is much faster for us.  Once the new Pinal North-South Freeway between I-10 at Eloy and US 60 at Apache Junction is built (maybe in my lifetime, but I'm 67 so who knows?), it'll be even easier.

AZ 79 is a generally enjoyable drive as it goes through the lush desert vegetation south of Florence. I tend to take it from Tucson to the East Valley as well, since usually that's the area I visit (Lost Dutchman State Park, etc). My only grumble is Oracle Road north of Tucson seems to often be an exercise in hitting nearly every red light along the way.

machias

Quote from: kwellada on February 01, 2023, 01:31:00 PM
Quote from: KeithE4Phx on January 31, 2023, 08:51:38 PM

AZ 79 is a generally enjoyable drive as it goes through the lush desert vegetation south of Florence. I tend to take it from Tucson to the East Valley as well, since usually that's the area I visit (Lost Dutchman State Park, etc). My only grumble is Oracle Road north of Tucson seems to often be an exercise in hitting nearly every red light along the way.

We tend to take AZ 79 as well. It's a beautiful drive and usually we can move right along nicely through there.  I agree about Oracle Road, and the speed limits are all over the place, especially in Pima County.  Pinal County seems a little more relaxed with their approach, even though it's probably all determined by the state. 

thenetwork

I've taken AZ-87 between Mesa and Picacho, which was also a nice, calming alternative.

Also weird seeing separate mile markers for the paralleling canal.

kdk

I'm not sure if it saves me much time, but rather than heading west to hit I-10, I often take Gilbert Rd down to the 87, then to the 187 south to I-10.  There's maybe 2 miles or so of a two lane I-10 before it widens.

DJStephens

If they do proceed, with out the Federal monies, they will probably "budgetize" and do what they did immediately S of the four lane stretch.  Casa Grande environs and immediately N.  Shift the main lanes at the older five span overcrossings, instead of going all out, with new two span replacements.   Kind of cheesy, but at least it leaves a ultimate build out of all widening to the outside, in the future.  Once the funds for the overcrossing replacements are sourced.  Better than doing it really cheap, and going to the inside.   McCartney Road / I-10 is a prime example of what am speaking of.  Believe some of this "shifting" is apparent in the Casa Grande environs as well.   

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.