Surprising Wikipedia articles that don’t exist

Started by Max Rockatansky, February 05, 2023, 07:53:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Two that come to mind would be important Central California historical figures:

-  Thomas Baker
-  Andrew Firebaugh

Thomas Baker is the namesake for the city of Bakersfield.  His name gets a redirect to Bakersfield city hall.  Thomas Baker was involved in a lot of things in the southern Sierra Nevada Mountains involving the Kern River Gold Rush. 

Andrew Firebaugh does get referenced in a lot of articles, namely the city that bears his name.  Andrew Firebaugh was involved with founding the first college in Fresno County but more so transportation.  Firebaugh was heavily tied to the creation of the Pacheco Pass Toll Road.

hotdogPi

There is no Wikipedia article on complacency (as a psychology topic).
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

LilianaUwU

"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

D-Dey65

How about the 2023 West Seneca Earthquake? It's not the strongest that has ever occured in New York State, but it was certainly a big surprise to Metropolitan Buffalo.

SectorZ

hotdogPi

Quote from: SectorZ on February 07, 2023, 05:29:32 PM
Christine Weston Chandler

I believe that page has been deleted several times and is protected from recreation.

SectorZ

Quote from: 1 on February 07, 2023, 05:32:49 PM

I believe that page has been deleted several times and is protected from recreation.

That indeed is the case.

And neither of us should be proud we know this.

CNGL-Leudimin

But it has to be in English or can be in any language? If the latter, I'd say no cities in Spain have an article in Ladin (a language spoken in the Dolomites mountains in Italy) :sombrero:.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on February 07, 2023, 06:05:46 PM
But it has to be in English or can be in any language? If the latter, I'd say no cities in Spain have an article in Ladin (a language spoken in the Dolomites mountains in Italy) :sombrero:.

Any language will do.  I do frequent the Spanish version of Wikipedia given it has way more articles on towns in Mexico I visit.

Henry

Quote from: SectorZ on February 07, 2023, 06:01:59 PM

That indeed is the case.

Who the hell is that?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Max Rockatansky

LilianaUwU

That indeed is the case.

And then, a bunch of long-term abusers, some actually targeting me, repeatedly try to spam pages with names similar to the subject, which led to extended confirmed protection of many of those pages.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

D-Dey65

The same goes for Raptor Jesus.

hotdogPi

DandyDan

When I went to Northern Illinois University, the big star of the women's basketball team was E.C. Hill. She eventually went on to the WNBA, which is supposed to make you notable, but no one, as yet, has wrote her article. There's a number of WNBA articles like that waiting to be written. I suspect you could look back at the early years of most sports leagues and that happens.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Rothman

Quote from: DandyDan on February 08, 2023, 05:28:16 AM
When I went to Northern Illinois University, the big star of the women's basketball team was E.C. Hill. She eventually went on to the WNBA, which is supposed to make you notable, but no one, as yet, has wrote her article. There's a number of WNBA articles like that waiting to be written. I suspect you could look back at the early years of most sports leagues and that happens.
Huh.  Jamila Wideman's got one.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

That indeed is the case.

OK, so what's the big deal and why shouldn't this person have a page? A Google search says that this person is real and has fame as a content creator (there's an IMDB entry for this person) and infamy for an arrest. Sounds worthy of a page to me.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NWI_Irish96

Chicago Skyway does not have its own page. It does have its own paragraph on the Interstate 90 in Illinois page.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

J N Winkler

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 07, 2023, 06:21:09 PM
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on February 07, 2023, 06:05:46 PMBut it has to be in English or can be in any language? If the latter, I'd say no cities in Spain have an article in Ladin (a language spoken in the Dolomites mountains in Italy) :sombrero:.

Any language will do.  I do frequent the Spanish version of Wikipedia given it has way more articles on towns in Mexico I visit.

I have been catching up on ANAS construction contracts over the past few days, which means I've been using Wikipedia in Italian since the English version has massive gaps in its coverage of strade statali--there isn't an article for the SS 260 despite its being relocated (at a cost in the millions of euros) as part of reconstruction following the earthquake that flattened Amatrice in 2016.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Takumi

Jack Bates. Bassist for the Smashing Pumpkins and Peter Hook And The Light. I vaguely remember a hyperlink for his name redirecting to Peter Hook (his father) at one point.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

formulanone

There's several (minor) Mississippi state highways which are missing, but in time, they'll get there.

Quote from: hbelkins on February 08, 2023, 12:33:09 PM

That indeed is the case.

OK, so what's the big deal and why shouldn't this person have a page? A Google search says that this person is real and has fame as a content creator (there's an IMDB entry for this person) and infamy for an arrest. Sounds worthy of a page to me.

This is what bugs me; a serial killer gets a page and more notoriety. After all, there's cited articles from media, so it must have happened.

Who cares about those who got killed? Probably Nope, if they weren't notable at the time.

But someone who merely does good works in their own town or region?  They get the WGASA effect...

abefroman329

I have a Canadian friend who thinks it's notable that Vince Li doesn't have one.

Bruce

Quote from: DandyDan on February 08, 2023, 05:28:16 AM

The notability standard for sportspeople recently changed (after a lot of fighting on both sides), so it'd be a bit of a challenge. There is a project dedicated to writing new articles about women, but they mostly focus on science and arts.

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on February 08, 2023, 12:40:33 PM
Chicago Skyway does not have its own page. It does have its own paragraph on the Interstate 90 in Illinois page.

It did have a separate article until 2013.

hbelkins

Quote from: formulanone on February 08, 2023, 03:38:56 PM
There's several (minor) Mississippi state highways which are missing, but in time, they'll get there.

Quote from: hbelkins on February 08, 2023, 12:33:09 PM

That indeed is the case.

This is what bugs me; a serial killer gets a page and more notoriety. After all, there's cited articles from media, so it must have happened.

Who cares about those who got killed? Probably Nope, if they weren't notable at the time.

But someone who merely does good works in their own town or region?  They get the WGASA effect...

Go check out the Wiki entry (Hi, Scott!) on Kiwi Farms. They dance all around the subject of this person but no direct mention is made of them. It's as if this person is "he/she who must not be named" on Wikipedia.

Related: I was today years old when I learned that this person was the impetus for creating the Kiwi Farms site. Although I'd heard of Kiwi Farms (mostly through the Cloudflare controversy) I'd never heard of Chris Chan/Christoper Weston Chandler/Christine Weston Chandler until this AA Roads thread.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.