News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Time zones 2

Started by Poiponen13, February 10, 2023, 05:48:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poiponen13

The time zones in North America are again discussed. Too many places in Canada are in wrong time zone. Many places have solar noon at 2:00 to 3:00 pm. Time zones could be realigned to keep solar noon as close to 12:00 pm as possible. Yukon is definitely in wrong time zone. Look at sunrise and sunset times of:
Old Crow, YT
Inuvik, NT
Just before November DST change, sun rises at 11:27 am and sets on 5:48 pm. In place at same latitude in Finland (at 25'00E), sun rises at 8:51 am and sets at 3:14 pm.

CNGL-Leudimin

Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Poiponen13

hotdogPi

You must not be familiar with the infamous DST threads a few years ago. It's a forbidden topic now.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Poiponen13

Quote from: 1 on February 10, 2023, 06:48:49 AM
You must not be familiar with the infamous DST threads a few years ago. It's a forbidden topic now.
Why is DST banned?

GaryV

If the people of Yukon want their time zone changed, they have the means to work to make that change. They don't need some random poster on a roads forum to suggest that to them.

Scott5114

Quote from: Poiponen13 on February 10, 2023, 06:54:54 AM
Why is DST banned?

People just say the damn things every time it's discussed. It's boring, repetitive, and incredibly stupid.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kalvado

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 10, 2023, 07:20:12 AM
Quote from: Poiponen13 on February 10, 2023, 06:54:54 AM
Why is DST banned?

People just say the damn things every time it's discussed. It's boring, repetitive, and incredibly stupid.
Oh... Hold my beer and wait until this one spins up!

kalvado

Quote from: Poiponen13 on February 10, 2023, 05:48:06 AM
The time zones in North America are again discussed. Too many places in Canada are in wrong time zone. Many places have solar noon at 2:00 to 3:00 pm. Time zones could be realigned to keep solar noon as close to 12:00 pm as possible. Yukon is definitely in wrong time zone. Look at sunrise and sunset times of:
Europe is routinely switching clocks to have solar noon at 13 nominally (DST). Having solar noon  further out at 14 or even 15 is beneficial for northern areas with shorter winter solar day - such as Sweden or Finland.

Rothman

But this is Canadian time zones.  I doubt it'll get as fiery.

Hm.  Why isn't it "firey"?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

WillWeaverRVA

Time Zones 2: Daylight Boogaloo
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

formulanone

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on February 10, 2023, 08:45:07 AM

This is the most proper response.

Quote from: Rothman on February 10, 2023, 08:15:47 AM
Hm.  Why isn't it "firey"?

Hmmm...wondered about this as well...

https://www.writerscentre.com.au/blog/qa-firey-vs-fiery/
https://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2006/08/why-isnt-there-a-fire-in-fiery.html

QuoteThe word "fire"  was experimented with a lot during the Middle Ages — originally it had the spelling of "fyr"  as well as a bunch of others, including "fier" .

Max Rockatansky

I demand Sault Sainte John Madden Standard Time. 

US 89

Well, since the last time we had a time zone thread, Yukon has actually changed their time zone to Mountain time with no daylight savings. Before, they were on Pacific time and adjusting twice a year for DST.

It makes sense - essentially what this does is put them on permanent PDT, and so for most of the year they still have the same time as British Columbia, an hour behind Alberta, and an hour ahead of Alaska. The only thing that really raises my eyebrows is the 2-hour change that now happens at the Alaska border during winter.

kalvado

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 10, 2023, 09:37:15 AM
I demand Sault Sainte John Madden Standard Time.
Alanland standard time is always 12.25 PM

Rothman

I needed this today.  Thank you!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

1995hoo

Quote from: US 89 on February 10, 2023, 09:45:57 AM
Well, since the last time we had a time zone thread, Yukon has actually changed their time zone to Mountain time with no daylight savings. Before, they were on Pacific time and adjusting twice a year for DST.

It makes sense - essentially what this does is put them on permanent PDT, and so for most of the year they still have the same time as British Columbia, an hour behind Alberta, and an hour ahead of Alaska. The only thing that really raises my eyebrows is the 2-hour change that now happens at the Alaska border during winter.

I've previously mentioned the situation that occurs in the far southeastern area of Western Australia. The issue there is that WA doesn't observe DST (it used to, but it abolished it in 2009), while South Australia does. During standard time, the time difference at the state line is 90 minutes; during DST, it's 150 minutes (two and a half hours). The large time difference prompted the small number of people in the area of WA from Eucla west to near Caiguna to adopt their own 45-minute offset time zone to reduce the time difference.

Maybe some of the people along the Alaska—Yukon border could do something similar as a practical matter. That sort of thing is not unique to the Australian example I mentioned above. A lot of people and businesses in Phenix City, Alabama, for example, operate on Eastern Time to be in sync with the much larger city of Columbus, Georgia, just across the river to the east (no state or federal government buildings, such as the post office or the courthouse, do this, but city government buildings do).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Max Rockatansky

Time Zone 3:  Time Zone: With A Vengeance

kalvado

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 10, 2023, 10:17:25 AM

Time Zone 3:  Time Zone: With A Vengeance
TZ4: the Twilight.
TZ5: Age of Darkness 

hotdogPi

TZ3.5: Half-hour offset
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

kalvado

Quote from: 1 on February 10, 2023, 10:48:14 AM
TZ3.5: Half-hour offset
TZ 3.45: Departing from 9¾

hbelkins

Any time zone discussion invariably includes a recommendation that all of Kentucky go to Central time. Which would not go over well with me.

In winter, it gets dark so early anyway; if we were on Central time, it would get dark an hour earlier. Meaning that in most of December and January, instead of being dark by the time I get home from work, it would be dark by the time I leave work.

It's why I prefer The Forbidden Topic to standard time, and I'm looking forward to the return of The Forbidden Topic in a few weeks.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

zzcarp

Quote from: hbelkins on February 10, 2023, 11:06:25 AM
Any time zone discussion invariably includes a recommendation that all of Kentucky go to Central time. Which would not go over well with me.

In winter, it gets dark so early anyway; if we were on Central time, it would get dark an hour earlier. Meaning that in most of December and January, instead of being dark by the time I get home from work, it would be dark by the time I leave work.

It's why I prefer The Forbidden Topic to standard time, and I'm looking forward to the return of The Forbidden Topic in a few weeks.

In Colorado I enjoy the return of The Forbidden Topic as well-it allows for me to walk my dog in daylight instead of darkness after work.
So many miles and so many roads

abefroman329

Truth be told, I've been struggling to keep working after the sun goes down, so now I'm on Team Standard Time.

Takumi

South Africa stays on standard time year round. When I was there last year it was fully light by 5 AM.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.