News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-40 in North Carolina

Started by wdcrft63, February 25, 2023, 06:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdunlop

Quote from: wdcrft63 on March 11, 2023, 06:16:55 PM
Quote from: wriddle082 on March 11, 2023, 03:43:19 PM
Quote from: elsmere241 on March 11, 2023, 01:13:29 PM
With most of the traffic taking Wade Avenue to get to 440, it probably isn't that important.  A flyover from Wade eastbound to 440 eastbound might be useful though.

Also a flyover from I-40 W to US 1 S/US 64 W.  And make it wide, like at least two lanes, or even three.  And do it CA-style and make it all out of concrete box beam (which I think is the correct term, or like most of the bridges in the 85/285 Tom Moreland Interchange).  This needs to not only function well, but IMO look good too.
https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/40-440-us-1-interchange/Documents/I-40-I-440-interchange-preferred-alernative-2-map.pdf
The map is confusing because it doesn't show removal of loop ramp B, but it does show a two lane flyover from I-40 W to US 1 S/US 64 W.

Ramp B will be used to get from I-40WB to Walnut Street/Crossroads Mall.  It will remain in place.

froggie

I found it noteworthy that the existing ramp from Crossroads to NB 1 will be removed, as well as the existing NB on-ramp from Walnut St.  Both to be replaced by a new ramp starting from a relocated Piney Plains/Dillard intersection.

Jim, any thoughts on why Ramp B will still be accessed from a C/D road coming off the WB ramps to SB 1 and 440?  I would have thought it'd be simpler and less confusing to travelers to have that be a direct ramp off the WB 40 mainline, instead of combined with the 1/440 ramps.

jdunlop

Quote from: froggie on March 12, 2023, 07:52:31 PM
I found it noteworthy that the existing ramp from Crossroads to NB 1 will be removed, as well as the existing NB on-ramp from Walnut St.  Both to be replaced by a new ramp starting from a relocated Piney Plains/Dillard intersection.

Jim, any thoughts on why Ramp B will still be accessed from a C/D road coming off the WB ramps to SB 1 and 440?  I would have thought it'd be simpler and less confusing to travelers to have that be a direct ramp off the WB 40 mainline, instead of combined with the 1/440 ramps.

The infrastructure is already there, and having one exit to US 1 makes it better for I-40. It's a "single decision point"  on the main line, with a secondary decision point on the off-ramp, and that is usually better for drivers' safety.

I'm not thrilled by the Piney Plains exit plan, but realize that there aren't many options (especially ones that don't take many buildings like Lowe's.).  I was partially responsible for the SB "elongated loop"  configurations back in the "˜90s, and I know there will be a lot of pushback, especially from Crossroads.  But the weaves are bad now, this plan will make it much better NB.

sprjus4

Quote from: jdunlop on March 13, 2023, 01:13:08 PM
I'm not thrilled by the Piney Plains exit plan, but realize that there aren't many options (especially ones that don't take many buildings like Lowe's.).  I was partially responsible for the SB "elongated loop"  configurations back in the "˜90s, and I know there will be a lot of pushback, especially from Crossroads.  But the weaves are bad now, this plan will make it much better NB.
Braided ramps? That would eliminate the weaving movements entirely and would not require traffic to travel an additional mile just to get on the freeway.

jdunlop

Quote from: sprjus4 on March 13, 2023, 01:29:06 PM
Quote from: jdunlop on March 13, 2023, 01:13:08 PM
Braided ramps? That would eliminate the weaving movements entirely and would not require traffic to travel an additional mile just to get on the freeway.
NOt sure how that could be built without needing to replace the Walnut St. bridge over US 1. Even then, not sure it'd work.  They're able to braid the ramps SB so that EB40 to SB1 can go over the WB40 to SB1 ramp with retaining walls (and you have grade differences that help) but NB I just don't see it.  I will ask tomorrow if I'm able to attend, but I remember mentioning that to the traffic analyst working  on the project a while back, and his answer was there wasn't enough room.

The needs of the system interchange (I-40/US 1) take precedence over the service interchange (Walnut/Crossroads.)  We allow service interchanges that close way too often, and we have problems with weaving at most of them.  We should close the service interchanges, but politics comes in way too often.

sprjus4

At the very least, why not braid the proposed new on-ramp with the existing off-ramp? That way, the eastbound off ramp could at least be retained. That would eliminate traffic needing exit the new ramp, travel down Dillard Dr heading due east, just to then turn back north, if they are ultimately bound to Walnut St to the west.

jdunlop

Quote from: sprjus4 on March 13, 2023, 03:55:31 PM
At the very least, why not braid the proposed new on-ramp with the existing off-ramp? That way, the eastbound off ramp could at least be retained. That would eliminate traffic needing exit the new ramp, travel down Dillard Dr heading due east, just to then turn back north, if they are ultimately bound to Walnut St to the west.

That would be a significant cost increase for a minor traffic savings.  Those braided ramps are not cheap, from a construction and right-of-way standpoint.

I'd like to see the traffic forecast to see what volume of traffic heads west on Walnut.  At some point, drivers heading that way would take the Cary Town Blvd exit on 40 rather than drive up/down Walnut.

LM117

Quote from: wdcrft63 on March 10, 2023, 08:43:09 PM
And on Tuesday NCDOT will hold a public meeting to present its plans to widen I-40 on the south side of Raleigh between Lake Wheeler Road and the I-440/US 1 interchange and to upgrade that interchange, adding two flyover ramps. The announcement has maps.
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/public-meetings/Pages/I-5701-I-5703-2023-03-02.aspx

There will be a 2-week public comment period after the meeting.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2023/2023-03-13-i-40-440-widening-crossroads-meeting.aspx
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Strider

Quote from: elsmere241 on March 11, 2023, 01:13:29 PM
With most of the traffic taking Wade Avenue to get to 440, it probably isn't that important.  A flyover from Wade eastbound to 440 eastbound might be useful though.

I have seen plenty of traffic using I-440 East loop ramp from I-40 East every time I drive down to Raleigh, not just Wade Ave.

sprjus4

^ Likely just local traffic from surrounding interchanges on I-40 to the west, but east of Wade Ave.

It's probably not heavy enough to warrant a flyover. Wade Ave indeed would handle most of the through traffic / heavy volumes.

webny99

I'm changing the topic, but does NC have any plans to widen I-40 down to I-95? Once the current project between Garner and NC 42 is complete, there will only be about 12 miles left to I-40. Not sure how much traffic exits at NC 42, but if I am correct that it will drop from 8 lanes down to 4 south of there, it seems likely to create a new bottleneck heading south/east.

bob7374

Quote from: webny99 on March 15, 2023, 11:14:33 AM
I'm changing the topic, but does NC have any plans to widen I-40 down to I-95? Once the current project between Garner and NC 42 is complete, there will only be about 12 miles left to I-40. Not sure how much traffic exits at NC 42, but if I am correct that it will drop from 8 lanes down to 4 south of there, it seems likely to create a new bottleneck heading south/east.
Yes according to the project website, 2 lanes are to be added to each direction from Exit 301 to MM 314. The final design maps, published in January 2022 (though for some reason they do not include the new NC 540 construction), are available at: https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/i40-nc42/Pages/final-design-maps.aspx

jdunlop

IIRC there's a feasibility study (unfunded) to widen from MM 312 to 317 (NC 210) but nothing east of there to I-95.  The volume really doesn't call for more than a four-lane cross-section.  A project to widen 210 is on the books as well (funded, unless things have changed in the last year.)

webny99

Quote from: bob7374 on March 15, 2023, 11:50:02 AM
Yes according to the project website, 2 lanes are to be added to each direction from Exit 301 to MM 314. The final design maps, published in January 2022 (though for some reason they do not include the new NC 540 construction), are available at: https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/i40-nc42/Pages/final-design-maps.aspx

Interesting. I was not aware that there will be a new interchange added at Cleveland Rd as part of this project too, that's great to see.

Quote from: jdunlop on March 15, 2023, 11:58:27 AM
IIRC there's a feasibility study (unfunded) to widen from MM 312 to 317 (NC 210) but nothing east of there to I-40.  The volume really doesn't call for more than a four-lane cross-section.  A project to widen 210 is on the books as well (funded, unless things have changed in the last year.)

I would support extending 6-lanes down to NC 210, only because when you have two lanes ending at the same time (plus traffic entering at that interchange) that is almost a guaranteed bottleneck even if the volumes don't otherwise warrant a widening. NC seems to love widening from 4 lanes to 8 lanes, but that does tend to create problems at the transition point.

sprjus4

^ I see the biggest problem with 4 to 8 lanes, at the moment, being I-95 at Fayetteville in either direction. The highway is currently being widened to 8 lanes both north and south of the city, but will remain at 4 lanes on the bypass.

The idea is enough traffic will exit, but given its I-95, there is still a minimum of 6 lanes needed around Fayetteville. There will likely be congestion at these transition points - and the same with 8 to 4 lane drop at I-74 south of Lumberton, and to a lesser extent I-40 north of Fayetteville (because there, traffic will actually somewhat split - but still more on I-95).

sprjus4

Quote from: jdunlop on March 15, 2023, 11:58:27 AM

IIRC there's a feasibility study (unfunded) to widen from MM 312 to 317 (NC 210) but nothing east of there to I-95.  The volume really doesn't call for more than a four-lane cross-section.  A project to widen 210 is on the books as well (funded, unless things have changed in the last year.)
Between NC-42 and NC-210, I-40 carries around 50,000 AADT. The volumes do remain at around 45,000 AADT down to I-95, only dropping down to 22,000 AADT east/south of I-95.

45,000 AADT is certainly in the ballpark for 6 lane widening in the future, especially in a 15-20 year timeframe. I-95 carries 40,000-45,000 AADT north of I-40, though I'd argue given the long distance / peak season factor of that particular road, at minimum 6 lane widening is still more warranted there than I-40.

webny99

Quote from: sprjus4 on March 15, 2023, 01:04:58 PM
^ I see the biggest problem with 4 to 8 lanes, at the moment, being I-95 at Fayetteville in either direction. The highway is currently being widened to 8 lanes both north and south of the city, but will remain at 4 lanes on the bypass.

The idea is enough traffic will exit, but given its I-95, there is still a minimum of 6 lanes needed around Fayetteville. There will likely be congestion at these transition points - and the same with 8 to 4 lane drop at I-74 south of Lumberton, and to a lesser extent I-40 north of Fayetteville (because there, traffic will actually somewhat split - but still more on I-95).

I don't see it being too much of an issue on the north side as there is a significant drop-off of about 25k AADT at I-40, but where will the 8 lanes start/end south of Fayetteville? I don't see a logical transition point on either end, especially until I-295 is complete (and I would think most traffic to downtown Fayetteville will still use NC 87, even when I-295 is complete).

sprjus4

I believe the lanes will drop from 8 to 4 at both junctions with US-301 ("inside"  I-295).

I-295 should be fully complete by the time both widening projects are complete.

The issues northbound at I-40 will probably be less, but during peak weekends I anticipate it will choke up a little. I-95 needs a sustained 6 lanes through SC-NC-VA during peak times, so dropping from 8 to 4 will cause some slowdowns I'm sure.

Dirt Roads

Update on the I-40 widening in Orange County.  Things are now progressing quickly on the [south] end near Chapel Hill.  The [southbound] lanes now have all been shifted, have the Jersey barriers installed and most of the old left shoulder have been removed.  The [northbound] lanes have also been shifted, except for a short section under the NC-86 overpass (Exit 266).  But there is still no Jersey barrier from the Durham County line to about Exit 263.  Actual grading for the new lanes is on both sides [north] of Exit 261.

Talking about Exit 266, the old left shoulder has been removed for the [southbound] lanes beneath the NC-86 overpass so it looks like NCDOT is going to squeeze the additional lanes beneath the existing structure.  Both of the steel stringer sections appear to be of identical length, so I am assuming that the extra [northbound] lane will also fit.  But something triggered the need to wait on shifting the lanes there.  Stay tuned.

LM117

^ Speaking of the I-40 widening project in Orange County, I-40 East traffic will be detoured onto I-85 North and I-885 South this weekend.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2023/2023-18-04-I-40-east-weekend-closure.aspx

Dirt Roads

Quote from: LM117 on April 18, 2023, 04:55:58 PM
Speaking of the I-40 widening project in Orange County, I-40 East traffic will be detoured onto I-85 North and I-885 South this weekend.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2023/2023-18-04-I-40-east-weekend-closure.aspx

I wonder if that (I-85 -to- I-885) is a [slight] mistake in the press release.  I was under the impression that the official "Alternate I-40" route was utilizing the Durham Freeway (NC-147, which eventually becomes the southern section of I-885).  There are so many different "Alternate I-40" routes and signs posted right now that I can't remember them all.  One set is posted for the West Durham Bypass (US-15/501), which certainly uses the northern end of the Durham Freeway.

I actually like using the entire I-885 as a bypass, but I still prefer the Durham Freeway just to get a glimpse of the crowd at Durham Bulls games this time of year.  I've never seen Durham Bulls traffic cause any problems for the Durham Freeway on game days (and have been bold enough to arrive just a few minutes before game time for sellouts).

sprjus4

I think they are wanting to promote the new I-885 / East End Connector over the Durham Freeway, especially given "Greensboro"  is signed on it as opposed to the more direct Durham Freeway portion near Downtown.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/vaEsfL2HUGT6u6TB9?g_st=ic

The I-885 / East End Connector also has more lanes and a 65 mph speed limit, and is being promoted as the bypass to NC-147.

LM117

ARMOURERERIC

The bridge for Causby Rd over 40 at exit 98 is closing tonight for 6 months of rehab.  The bridge with be raised, but the work will keep the existing piers, thus no accommodation for future widening.  This section of 40 does not really need to go 6lanes yet.

OracleUsr

Quote from: wdcrft63 on February 27, 2023, 10:08:08 PM
Quote from: nerdom on February 27, 2023, 06:29:57 PM
IMO. After the current constructions are wrapped up on I-40, the next focus, as far as 40 is concerned, should be between Statesville and Hickory. Ultimately, 40 should be 6+ lanes all the way to Canton. Monster undertaking. Western 40, 95 and 42. should be priorities going forward as loop roads are finishing, 85 is done minus small stretches near borders, and toll roads can clean up the rest of what's left in the metros. Something also needs to be done with 40/College Rd in Wilmington. Somehow, they need to get 40 to at least New Centre but Monkey Junction would be ideal. Just don't ask me how. lol.
Statesville to Conover opened in 1960, so it is one of the very oldest sections of I-40 in NC. Some of us are old enough to remember the freeway's end at NC 16 in Conover and how welcome the Hickory bypass section was when it finally opened.

I remember that.  We traveled through there frequently, going from Greensboro to Knoxville.  It was December 1976 when I think was the last time we had to go through Conover.

I also remember, speaking of broken segments, the I-40 segment around Black Mountain/Swannanoa opening up.  Today, having to go US 70 through Black Mountain would be a nightmare.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.