News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

OpenStreetMap

Started by NE2, April 11, 2011, 10:08:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on May 24, 2011, 11:01:56 PM
Am I the only one who's unable to save right now? I have the message "Failure when uploading data", and my network sniffer tells me that the server returns a "400 Bad request" when creating the changeset.

Are you sure you didn't recieve a "block" on the website?  I don't know your user ID to even check there.

Dr Frankenstein

Nope. I've never been blocked... http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Carl%20Tessier/blocks .

And it worked... after a few hours and three retries from scratch (that is, scrapping the changes and restarting).

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on May 28, 2011, 02:30:18 AM
Nope. I've never been blocked... http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Carl%20Tessier/blocks .

And it worked... after a few hours and three retries from scratch (that is, scrapping the changes and restarting).

Yikes, I just looked @ your edits and saw some RED flags in some of your comments.

Example, Changeset 8148493.  You can't use Google Maps as a source...  If you do, that's grounds for being blocked on the site as you can't copy from other maps (unless they are in the Public Domain of course).

mightyace

^^^

And, it's not that most of us would consider Google maps a really reliable source, anyway.  :sombrero:
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Dr Frankenstein

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on May 28, 2011, 02:48:40 AM
Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on May 28, 2011, 02:30:18 AM

Yikes, I just looked @ your edits and saw some RED flags in some of your comments.

Example, Changeset 8148493.  You can't use Google Maps as a source...  If you do, that's grounds for being blocked on the site as you can't copy from other maps (unless they are in the Public Domain of course).
I used it to _confirm_ that my changes were right. I thought I made it clear.
Basically, I make changes, then verify on other maps, then save. If there's something wrong, I cancel, close Google Maps, and retry.

Also, does looking at signs from Street View constitute a violation as well? (I assume not, since I consider the actual source to be the signs themselves...)

NE2

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on May 28, 2011, 10:58:46 AM
Also, does looking at signs from Street View constitute a violation as well? (I assume not, since I consider the actual source to be the signs themselves...)
No, at least in small doses: http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2011-April/057473.html
If you're getting every street name in an area from GSV, then you're probably breaking their terms of use (whether you care is a personal ethical decision). But the CanVec import already gives you street names, so there's no reason you'd be doing this anyway. Just remember that the photos are outdated by now, so recent changes in signs will not show up. (Of course this is also true when going through old notes and personal sign photos.)

As for numbered routes, putting aside legal/moral issues, I wouldn't trust any online map (other than the MTQ) to get anything right. Basically the main source should be the signs (if internally consistent), and if there's a disagreement with other government information, that can be noted (unsigned_ref=* works in a simple case where the route is just not signed; note=* can be used in more complicated cases where the government signs the route differently than they maintain it).
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Dr Frankenstein

In fact, the change I think you are refering to (132 through Salaberry-de-Valleyfield) is actually in an area in which I drive a lot, and I can safely say I did it all by memory. The thing is, I'm relatively new on OSM, and I wanted something to back my changes, mostly to avoid an edit war... (after looking at some forum threads, I'd imagine that some people are really convinced that their wrong is right).

I don't know how detailed the CanVec import was and what its coverage was. For example, I had to fix a large amount of local street names that were added by one person and missing the generic (Rue/Street, Avenue, etc.) which, according to the Gouvernement du Québec, can never be omitted.

If I can't even use non-free sources (notice the plural) to verify my changes before saving them or to back them, so be it, but I'd like to know about that.

rickmastfan67

Trust me, there are not that many edit wars.  You mostly only see them when two bull headed people collide when editing an area. lol.  Personally, I've never had to have an edit war with anybody.  But I will admit that there have been a few times me and NE2 have locked horns, but cooler heads prevailed. ;)

Just don't use Google Maps as a source (and especially mentioning it in the comment for a changeset) and you should be Golden. ;)

NE2

OSM is a little different from Google Mapmaker in that correctness is presumed unless there is reason to believe otherwise, especially when it comes to the word of a local on factual matters. Edit wars generally happen when people agree on the facts but disagree on the application of tags.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Bickendan

Personally, my problem with most online maps have been the symbology, but that's because I've grown up with the Thomas Guide standard and much prefer it. Outside of notating a tollway vs. a general motor/freeway, the symbology doesn't differentiate between mainline trunk highways and urban artery highways, and non-highway arteries are their own colour.

NE2

vdeane

What's with the pink shading in central NY that shows up on one of the middle zoom levels?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

NE2

That was vandalism - someone tagged the whole US as landuse=military :)
It lasted about two hours; I'll force the tiles to refresh.

vtk

If anyone wants to friend-list me on OSM, I'm Vid the Kid.

I do detailed edits primarily in the Columbus area, plus spot edits elsewhere (like interchange fixes) where I see something that's clearly wrong.  I also do some larger-scale data-integrity edits from time to time, like some work with Ohio's county boundaries and the Great Lakes.  Disagreements with other mappers on some road issues (particularly the proper value to use for the highway tag) has kind of put me off of doing significant highway work outside of Columbus, unfortunately.  Maybe I'll get back into it in the future.

PS If you want to see a project of mine that uses OSM data, including a custom rendering stylesheet, take a look at my (fictional) Interstate 171 page and/or its forum thread.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: vtk on June 28, 2011, 10:34:31 PM
If anyone wants to friend-list me on OSM, I'm Vid the Kid.

I do detailed edits primarily in the Columbus area, plus spot edits elsewhere (like interchange fixes) where I see something that's clearly wrong.  I also do some larger-scale data-integrity edits from time to time, like some work with Ohio's county boundaries and the Great Lakes.  Disagreements with other mappers on some road issues (particularly the proper value to use for the highway tag) has kind of put me off of doing significant highway work outside of Columbus, unfortunately.  Maybe I'll get back into it in the future.

PS If you want to see a project of mine that uses OSM data, including a custom rendering stylesheet, take a look at my (fictional) Interstate 171 page and/or its forum thread.

Are you the one drawing in all the fictional streets around Delaware?
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

NE2

If you mean the alternating blue and white, those are highway=proposed. As long as they're actually proposed by the government, they belong on OSM.

jjakucyk

I ran into something similar while editing the streets of downtown Cincinnati.  I'd changed some alignments, marked roads as closed, changed some one-ways to two-ways based on personal observation of recent construction changes.  Someone then reverted all my changes because they weren't shown on the (now quite outdated) aerial photo that OSM uses.  After explaining to him where the changes came from he realized the error and un-reverted the changes, but it was still a pain.  Why would we just make stuff up? 

vtk

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on June 29, 2011, 12:14:00 AM
Are you the one drawing in all the fictional streets around Delaware?

I added several proposed roads listed in MORPC's long-range plan, and tagged them as proposed.  I don't know about any "fictional" streets.

NE2

Quote from: jjakucyk on June 29, 2011, 09:53:50 AM
I ran into something similar while editing the streets of downtown Cincinnati.  I'd changed some alignments, marked roads as closed, changed some one-ways to two-ways based on personal observation of recent construction changes.  Someone then reverted all my changes because they weren't shown on the (now quite outdated) aerial photo that OSM uses.  After explaining to him where the changes came from he realized the error and un-reverted the changes, but it was still a pain.  Why would we just make stuff up? 
People sometimes do make stuff up :) http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:West_Harrisburg.jpg
Did you add an edit summary, like "recent changes in downtown Cincinnati based on observations"? If so, he needs to check the history of objects before changing them to match aerials. Even if not, he should have contacted you before reverting.

Scott5114

Is there a way or anything in development to use OSM for routing? A big part of what I use Google Maps for is to compare two possible routes, and with Google's accuracy in the gutter now I'd really like to use OSM instead.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 30, 2011, 07:32:15 AM
Is there a way or anything in development to use OSM for routing? A big part of what I use Google Maps for is to compare two possible routes, and with Google's accuracy in the gutter now I'd really like to use OSM instead.

http://open.mapquest.com/

Scott5114

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on June 30, 2011, 07:38:25 AM

Perfect. Thanks.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

vtk

Does CloudMade still provide free OSM directions?

jdb1234

I just signed up and made a few changes, hope they will stick. 

rickmastfan67

Quote from: vtk on June 30, 2011, 08:31:24 PM

Does CloudMade still provide free OSM directions?

I think so.

Quote from: jdb1234 on July 01, 2011, 01:10:08 AM
I just signed up and made a few changes, hope they will stick. 

What's your account name?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.