News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Poor Sign Placement

Started by CentralCAroadgeek, June 24, 2012, 09:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

Quote from: Brian556 on August 31, 2012, 08:46:26 PM

You may be joking about this, but such a sign was actually posted in Frisco, Texas. And TxDOT let it slip by; they typically do not allow this, especially considering that this is a parking lot entrance, and it should not be signed with a street sign
Oh, I've seen this in many places.  I can't remember where because it is just too horrific to contemplate.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

hbelkins

Quote from: amroad17 on August 31, 2012, 08:11:43 PM
Saw this last Monday.  The EXIT 185 sign on WB I-64 in Cannonsburg, KY is about 150 ft down the offramp.  It is nearly even with the gore sign.  This happened after the interchange was reconstructed a few years ago.

And if I"m not mistaken, it was moved from an original location that was extremely hard to see.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Scott5114

There is something similar in Goldsby, OK–a street which leads to a Sonic, labeled, of course, Sonic Dr. Across the street was Bank Dr., which once led to a bank. The bank was torn down and the street was renamed "Bankers Drive".
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

thenetwork

I seem to remember the Holiday Inn chain in the 60's/70's having a lot of pull in naming streets where their new hotels were as "Holiday Drive" or similar. 

roadman65

Quote from: thenetwork on September 01, 2012, 02:17:33 PM
I seem to remember the Holiday Inn chain in the 60's/70's having a lot of pull in naming streets where their new hotels were as "Holiday Drive" or similar. 
How about in Orlando, FL where the driveway into the Marriot World Center is given the name World Center Drive spite the fact that FL 536 ( the road the resort is on) is called locally and designated the same name by Orange County, FL.

Then you have Westgate Lakes Boulevard in Orlando that is the entrance to  well Westgate Lakes.  It is not even a street at all but a driveway into a timeshare property.  Only the first response considers the implied street name for each individual building to have official address numbers for easier find in case of emergency.  Thus it gets a street sign on a signal pole like it is a real street.
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Westgate+Lakes+Resort+%26+Spa,+Orlando,+FL&hl=en&ll=28.427581,-81.475098&spn=0.004416,0.010107&sll=27.698638,-83.804601&sspn=9.097496,20.698242&oq=westg&t=h&hq=Westgate+Lakes+Resort+%26+Spa,+Orlando,+FL&z=17&layer=c&cbll=28.427581,-81.475098&panoid=wd6AnGQNe20F0FwvSXJNRQ&cbp=12,195.25,,0,0
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Westgate+Lakes+Resort+%26+Spa,+Orlando,+FL&hl=en&ll=28.427581,-81.475103&spn=0.004416,0.010107&sll=27.698638,-83.804601&sspn=9.097496,20.698242&oq=westg&t=h&hq=Westgate+Lakes+Resort+%26+Spa,+Orlando,+FL&z=17&layer=c&cbll=28.42759,-81.475466&panoid=gXKbyyTi4m50vflKVRDZ6w&cbp=12,303.99,,0,0

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hbelkins

1995hoo

Referring solely to the two sets of signs in the foreground, not the set of two over the ramp further back bearing the "Baltimore/Washington" and "Richmond" indicators. The signs in the rear were there first. Then they put up the other ones directly in front of them.

This one is–or was, as of Labor Day weekend in 2007 (I took this picture five years ago today to the day as I type this)–in Granby, Colorado. In case you can't read the sign, it says "Street Closed."

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

vdeane

In St. Lawrence county there are a number of "bridge closed" signs for a bridge that hasn't been open for 40 years and won't be re-opening ever.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

amroad17

I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Scott5114

Quote from: hbelkins on September 02, 2012, 03:25:55 PM

if you intend to crash into the barrier, keep it under 55! for safety!

hbelkins

That's in North Carolina, near the new US 70 bypass of Clayton. The speed limit sign was not removed when the road was dead-ended for the new route. This was one of the highlights of the spring 2008 meet in the Raleigh area. Floating around somewhere there will be a meet group picture taken at this location.

vtk

In southeast Columbus, one might turn from Lockbourne Road east onto a residential street called Koebel Road.  It actually gets a fair amount of traffic, and has edge lines (not curbs) and a double yellow strripe down the middle.  Traffic tends to go about 35 MPH.  Though sidewalks were added a couple of years ago, there are still yellow diamond warning signs saying "pedestrians using roadway". 

About 1000 feet down the street this week, in front of a high school, is a mobile "obey speed limit" / "your speed [   ]" display.

About 1000 feet further, one encounters the first speed limit sign (25 MPH).

If the city were really serious about slowing traffic on the street, why don't they put a speed limit sign at the start?  Also, the street looks more like it should have a 35 MPH limit.  25 might have made sense before the sidewalks were installed, but not now. Unfortunately, I don't think City of Columbus is interested in raising speed limits anywhere, and even if it were proposed here, the city would just defer to the inevitable objections of the local residents.

To summarize and get back on topic: putting an "obey speed limit" sign before the first "speed limit" sign is poor placement.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Alps

Faded, on the left side of a very wide road, behind a pole.

cu2010

Quote from: deanej on September 02, 2012, 05:24:50 PM
In St. Lawrence county there are a number of "bridge closed" signs for a bridge that hasn't been open for 40 years and won't be re-opening ever.

To add insult to injury, said bridge is at the end of a less-than-quarter-mile-long stretch of narrow road pointlessly numbered with a county highway shield...when it connects to a town road! :pan:
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

Brian556

Flower Mound, Tx. Year 2000: This sign was still standing even though FM 2499 moved to a new alignment in 1991. What makes it poor placement is that it a a reassurance signs posted just before the end of the route. The old FM 2499 ended at the pavement change in the background of the photograph. This was the Denton/Tarrant County line at the time. The county line has since moved north. The sign no longer stands.

Scott5114

Quote from: Brian556 on September 02, 2012, 11:08:37 PM
Flower Mound, Tx. Year 2000: This sign was still standing even though FM 2499 moved to a new alignment in 1991. What makes it poor placement is that it a a reassurance signs posted just before the end of the route. The old FM 2499 ended at the pavement change in the background of the photograph. This was the Denton/Tarrant County line at the time. The county line has since moved north. The sign no longer stands.

Why did the county line move?

Road Hog

Quotethe only thing worse than a "Walmart Ave." is a traffic light holding you up so that other traffic may exit the "Walmart Ave."

You may be joking about this, but such a sign was actually posted in Frisco, Texas. And TxDOT let it slip by; they typically do not allow this, especially considering that this is a parking lot entrance, and it should not be signed with a street sign.

Not only that, but the IKEA in Frisco has a BGS on the Sam Rayburn Tollway access road.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Brian556

QuoteWhy did the county line move?
Tarrant County went to court saying that the county line was mis-surveyed whenever the counties were laid out god only knows how long ago, and they won. it was just about greed on their part.

vtk

Not sure why I haven't posted this sooner:

I'm not exactly sure which came first, but it doesn't seem terribly likely the sign was there before the sidewalk.

(Rickenbacker Pkwy W westbound, right before transition to 4-lane section on the north side of LCK airport.  The "Franklin County" sign actually indicates one is leaving the City of Columbus, rather than crossing a county line.)
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Stratuscaster

Quote from: Road Hog on September 03, 2012, 06:51:29 AM
Quotethe only thing worse than a "Walmart Ave." is a traffic light holding you up so that other traffic may exit the "Walmart Ave."
You may be joking about this, but such a sign was actually posted in Frisco, Texas. And TxDOT let it slip by; they typically do not allow this, especially considering that this is a parking lot entrance, and it should not be signed with a street sign.

Not only that, but the IKEA in Frisco has a BGS on the Sam Rayburn Tollway access road.

Similar signage in St. Charles, IL on Smith Road just north of IL-64 - eastbound is "Wal-Mart", westbound is "Charlestowne Mall."

Special K

Quote from: deanej on September 02, 2012, 05:24:50 PM

Seems like an accurate sign to me.

Special K

Quote from: Steve on September 02, 2012, 08:40:59 PM

Faded, on the left side of a very wide road, behind a pole.

That looks like a temporary 4-way stop assembly to be pulled into the intersection and used if the signals malfunction (see how it's chained to the signal pole?).

SidS1045

Quote from: vtk on September 02, 2012, 07:54:43 PMputting an "obey speed limit" sign before the first "speed limit" sign is poor placement.

Ohio has statutory limits which drivers are supposed to know and which apply in the absence of posted limits.  Lack of a sign is no excuse.

Page 206 at http://ntl.bts.gov/lib/30000/30100/30132/810826.pdf .
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.