News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on September 19, 2021, 11:35:26 PM
I can guarantee that tomorrow, at least one very well-known talking head will claim that the Chiefs are going to finish last in their division this season. Even with the Chiefs currently being tied for last in the AFCW, I'd say they are still a 99.9% lock to win the division.

If you'd stuck to the original point and said there's a 99.9% chance they won't finish last, I could maybe agree with that.

But I definitely don't agree that there's a 99.9% chance they win the division. After last night's loss, FiveThirtyEight has them roughly even with the field at 46%. That seems pretty low, but it makes some sense when you factor in that the Broncos and Raiders are 2-0, and any of the other three teams could be a legitimate challenger for the division. (I think that's also factoring in tiebreakers, which is way too early in the season to do that IMO.)

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on September 20, 2021, 08:17:00 AM
Quote from: thspfc on September 19, 2021, 11:35:26 PM
I can guarantee that tomorrow, at least one very well-known talking head will claim that the Chiefs are going to finish last in their division this season. Even with the Chiefs currently being tied for last in the AFCW, I'd say they are still a 99.9% lock to win the division.

If you'd stuck to the original point and said there's a 99.9% chance they won't finish last, I could maybe agree with that.

But I definitely don't agree that there's a 99.9% chance they win the division. After last night's loss, FiveThirtyEight has them roughly even with the field at 46%. That seems pretty low, but it makes some sense when you factor in that the Broncos and Raiders are 2-0, and any of the other three teams could be a legitimate challenger for the division. (I think that's also factoring in tiebreakers, which is way too early in the season to do that IMO.)
Broncos play the Jets in week 3 so they're going to be 3-0. After that? Ravens, Steelers, Raiders, Browns, Washington, Cowboys, Eagles, Chargers, Chiefs. That looks like a 2-7 or 3-6 stretch. Their schedule won't stay easy forever.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: jgb191 on September 20, 2021, 01:09:14 AM
Quote from: ilpt4u on September 17, 2021, 10:30:10 PM
the NFL would have to consider realignment

Agreed!  Here's how it should be to make geographical sense:

AFC East:  Baltimore, Buffalo, NY Jets (rename it to 'Newark'), and New England (rename it to 'Boston')
AFC North:  Cincinnati, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh
AFC South:  Houston, Jacksonville, Miami, Tennessee (rename it to 'Nashville')
AFC West:  Stay the same except return the Chargers back to San Diego.

1) Existing rivalries are huge TV draws, so barring a coast-to-coast relocation, the divisions aren't changing.
2) Teams only have 8-9 road games per year, compared to 40+ for NBA/NHL and 80+ for MLB, so geographic compactness isn't as important
3) The Giants and Jets are closer to NYC than the Patriots are to Boston, so taking New York out of a team name but adding Boston to another doesn't make sense.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

thspfc

Quote from: jgb191 on September 20, 2021, 01:09:14 AM
Quote from: ilpt4u on September 17, 2021, 10:30:10 PM
the NFL would have to consider realignment

Agreed!  Here's how it should be to make geographical sense:

AFC East:  Baltimore, Buffalo, NY Jets (rename it to 'Newark'), and New England (rename it to 'Boston')
AFC North:  Cincinnati, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh
AFC South:  Houston, Jacksonville, Miami, Tennessee (rename it to 'Nashville')
AFC West:  Stay the same except return the Chargers back to San Diego.
In a world where money does not exist, maybe, . . .

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on September 20, 2021, 08:44:29 AM
Quote from: webny99 on September 20, 2021, 08:17:00 AM
After last night's loss, FiveThirtyEight has them roughly even with the field at 46%. That seems pretty low, but it makes some sense when you factor in that the Broncos and Raiders are 2-0, and any of the other three teams could be a legitimate challenger for the division. (I think that's also factoring in tiebreakers, which is way too early in the season to do that IMO.)
Broncos play the Jets in week 3 so they're going to be 3-0. After that? Ravens, Steelers, Raiders, Browns, Washington, Cowboys, Eagles, Chargers, Chiefs. That looks like a 2-7 or 3-6 stretch. Their schedule won't stay easy forever.

For sure, but if they can pull an upset or two they would still be right in the mix for a wild card. Also the Broncos are probably least likely to challenge the Chiefs for the division, Raiders or Chargers have a more legitimate shot IMO.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on September 19, 2021, 10:17:44 PM
Vikings pulled a Viking

It's just absolutely painful to be a fan of this team.

Chris

webny99

Quote from: jayhawkco on September 20, 2021, 10:46:19 AM
Vikings pulled a Viking

Unbelievable. Nothing left to say at this point.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: webny99 on September 20, 2021, 10:48:36 AM
Quote from: jayhawkco on September 20, 2021, 10:46:19 AM
Vikings pulled a Viking

Unbelievable. Nothing left to say at this point.

The crappy thing is, I'm also a Tottenham fan (if you follow English soccer) and my club has the exact same reputation of somehow, inexplicably, choking it away at the end; so much so that there is a term for it: "Spursy".  I don't know why I do it to myself.

Chris

webny99

An interesting - and relatively small! - group of 2-0 teams this season. Bucs and Rams are unsurprising, but the Cardinals, 49ers, Broncos, Raiders, and Panthers all missed the playoffs last year.

And it's pretty crazy that the Broncos and Raiders are all alone atop the AFC, with 11 teams being 1-1 and only the Colts, Jets and Jags being 0-2.

ilpt4u

Quote from: webny99 on September 21, 2021, 09:43:34 PM
An interesting - and relatively small! - group of 2-0 teams this season. Bucs and Rams are unsurprising, but the Cardinals, 49ers, Broncos, Raiders, and Panthers all missed the playoffs last year.

And it's pretty crazy that the Broncos and Raiders are all alone atop the AFC, with 11 teams being 1-1 and only the Colts, Jets and Jags being 0-2.
Neither the Cardinals nor the 49ers are surprising to be 2-0.

The 49ers are an injury-plagued season removed from an NFC Championship/appearance in SB LIV. They have started the 2021 campaign healthy. If they can continue that way, they should continue to be among the top teams in the NFL

The Cardinals would be a favorite to win 2 of the other 3 NFC Divisions, and probably at least 2 of the 4 AFC Divisions. If the Cardinals were still in the old NFC East, they would be the Runaway Odds On Favorite to win the Division. However, when the 8 Division format was created, the Cardinals got put into the NFC West, and the NFC West is deep in talent. This is my long-winded way of saying the Cardinals have a hell of a football team, but they were probably picked to finish 4th in the best Division in the NFL

The Rams, 49ers, and Cardinals all hail from that NFC West. While theoretically possible, I don't think any of the 3 teams will go undefeated, and while not impossible I would find it highly highly highly unlikely that all 3 will go undefeated. I don't think a Perfect Team comes out of the NFCW this year, and if one does, that is the hands-down SB Favorite

Roadgeekteen

The Broncos have beaten the Jags and Giants, not exactly top-notch competition.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

thspfc

Quote from: ilpt4u on September 22, 2021, 12:25:55 AM
Quote from: webny99 on September 21, 2021, 09:43:34 PM

Neither the Cardinals nor the 49ers are surprising to be 2-0.

The 49ers are an injury-plagued season removed from an NFC Championship/appearance in SB LIV. They have started the 2021 campaign healthy. If they can continue that way, they should continue to be among the top teams in the NFL

The Cardinals would be a favorite to win 2 of the other 3 NFC Divisions, and probably at least 2 of the 4 AFC Divisions. If the Cardinals were still in the old NFC East, they would be the Runaway Odds On Favorite to win the Division. However, when the 8 Division format was created, the Cardinals got put into the NFC West, and the NFC West is deep in talent. This is my long-winded way of saying the Cardinals have a hell of a football team, but they were probably picked to finish 4th in the best Division in the NFL

The Rams, 49ers, and Cardinals all hail from that NFC West. While theoretically possible, I don't think any of the 3 teams will go undefeated, and while not impossible I would find it highly highly highly unlikely that all 3 will go undefeated. I don't think a Perfect Team comes out of the NFCW this year, and if one does, that is the hands-down SB Favorite
All three going undefeated would involve 6 specific games ending in a tie.

thspfc

Predictions

Chiefs 31, Chargers 28
Cardinals 41, Jaguars 23
Browns 23, Bears 6
Washington 29, Bills 23
Colts 34, Titans 17
Patriots 26, Saints 16
Giants 30, Falcons 21
Steelers 21, Bengals 19
Ravens 27, Lions 17
Broncos 28, Jets 22
Raiders 24, Dolphins 20
Rams 33, Buccaneers 24
Seahawks 37, Vikings 31
Packers 28, 49ers 20

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: thspfc on September 23, 2021, 12:59:39 PM
Predictions

Chiefs 31, Chargers 28
Cardinals 41, Jaguars 23
Browns 23, Bears 6
Football Team 29, Bills 23
Colts 34, Titans 17
Patriots 26, Saints 16
Giants 30, Falcons 21
Steelers 21, Bengals 19
Ravens 27, Lions 17
Broncos 28, Jets 22
Raiders 24, Dolphins 20
Rams 33, Buccaneers 24
Seahawks 37, Vikings 31
Packers 28, 49ers 20

Fixed :sombrero:
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

webny99

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on September 23, 2021, 02:43:00 PM
Predictions

Tempted to fix again - to fix the score - but won't take the bait.  :-P

JayhawkCO

Not that I want them to, but I have a hunch the Bears are going to put up a better fight against Cleveland than you think.

Chris

Alps

Quote from: webny99 on September 23, 2021, 03:09:47 PM
Predictions

Tempted to fix again to add the prediction for Texans vs. Panthers.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

webny99

Quote from: Alps on September 23, 2021, 11:47:39 PM
Quote from: webny99 on September 23, 2021, 03:09:47 PM
Predictions

Tempted to fix again to add the prediction for Texans vs. Panthers.

And Cowboys-Eagles, for that matter.

CoreySamson

I think the Texans would've had a chance to win that game if Tyrod Taylor had not been hurt. I know Carolina's defense is one of the best in the league, but Davis Mills is not the answer at quarterback for the Texans. Still, you've got to give credit to the Panthers, who've defied convention to remain undefeated.

On a related note, does anyone else here dislike Thursday Night games with a passion? I feel like they do more harm than good.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Henry

The Wild Card round will now have a Monday night game:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32269232/nfl-play-one-six-wild-card-games-monday-night

IIRC, this would be the first instance of a playoff game ever being played on a day other than Saturday or Sunday. Seeing that ESPN has the MNF package, a Wild Card edition would also be aired, with the other three networks continuing to broadcast the weekend games (two each for NBC and CBS, one for FOX).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: CoreySamson on September 24, 2021, 09:37:32 AM
I think the Texans would've had a chance to win that game if Tyrod Taylor had not been hurt. I know Carolina's defense is one of the best in the league, but Davis Mills is not the answer at quarterback for the Texans. Still, you've got to give credit to the Panthers, who've defied convention to remain undefeated.

On a related note, does anyone else here dislike Thursday Night games with a passion? I feel like they do more harm than good.

I don't watch unless the Bears are playing. I get enough football Saturday-Monday.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

triplemultiplex

I used to really hate them, but when I worked on the road for a couple years, I softened a bit.  If only because it was an excuse for food and drink specials at the Chili's or B-Dubs or whatever next to the hotel.

I tell you want I don't like is the slow migration of football games to cable. Monday Night's been gone for a while; now Thursday games aren't on CBS anymore; and this Monday night playoff game slides it a little more.
They pulled this shit with baseball 20 years ago and I didn't like it then. What, it's more important to have another stupid "talent" show on the networks instead of live sports?  Another dumb reality show with morons yelling at each other over nothing?  Yeah, that's way better than baseball.  Screw you, America.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

kevinb1994

Quote from: triplemultiplex on September 24, 2021, 09:55:00 AM

I used to really hate them, but when I worked on the road for a couple years, I softened a bit.  If only because it was an excuse for food and drink specials at the Chili's or B-Dubs or whatever next to the hotel.

I tell you want I don't like is the slow migration of football games to cable. Monday Night's been gone for a while; now Thursday games aren't on CBS anymore; and this Monday night playoff game slides it a little more.
They pulled this shit with baseball 20 years ago and I didn't like it then. What, it's more important to have another stupid "talent" show on the networks instead of live sports?  Another dumb reality show with morons yelling at each other over nothing?  Yeah, that's way better than baseball.  Screw you, America.
Don't forget that there's now streaming rights via Amazon for Thursday Night Football starting next season. But there's going to be a required simulcast on local TV stations. We'll see how that goes.

tchafe1978

I don't like all the games on cable or streaming services either. I don't have cable or sattelite, or anything like YouTube TV or Hulu Live. Just our antenna for local stations and a Roku. I get Madison stations on the antenna, and Madison isn't considered part of the local market for the Packers like Green Bay and Milwaukee is, so any Packers games on ESPN or whatever, I can't watch on TV. Thankfully though the Yahoo Sports app streams any locally or nationally broadcast games, so at least I can watch on my tiny phone screen. But the Thursday night games on NFL Network, because of "rights restrictions", they don't let you watch over WiFi and force you to use your data connection instead.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.