News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 05, 2021, 11:39:41 AM
What is going on with Urban Meyer

A lot of unnecessary drama if you ask me.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: webny99 on October 05, 2021, 03:54:02 PM

Dude ditched his team to go party with some college kids.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

ilpt4u

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 05, 2021, 04:11:53 PM
He is the HC of the Jags, and he got done getting his team's ass kicked by the Bengals in the "˜Nati, which is only a few hour drive up I-71 from his old stomping grounds of Columbus

Go party and enjoy yourself where you are appreciated. Let Urban do Urban. And if Shad Khan doesn't like it, he can kick Urban to the curb if/when he feels it appropriate, and I don't think he'll worry too much about the buy-out language costs

webny99

Yeah, I know. Of course the media will blow it up, but I meant it was unnecessary on Meyer's part.

Ultimately not a huge deal, but the whole Urban Meyer experience just doesn't sit well with me. He has a very self-important air that isn't a good fit for the NFL. A coach with real leadership skills that was committed to the team and truly cared about his players wouldn't get themselves into this type of drama or controversy off the field. Can you imagine something like this happening with Sean McDermott or Brandon Staley, for example? Or even long-time coaches like Reid or Belichick? Of course not, and I would not be happy about it if I was a Jaguars player.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: webny99 on October 05, 2021, 09:41:25 PM

Yeah, I know. Of course the media will blow it up, but I meant it was unnecessary on Meyer's part.

Ultimately not a huge deal, but the whole Urban Meyer experience just doesn't sit well with me. He just doesn't seem like a good fit for the NFL.

Dude needed the stress relief so he doesn't have another kinda sorta heart attack.  :rolleyes:

webny99

Roadgeekteen

Farewell Stephon Gilmore and good luck in Carolina.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on October 06, 2021, 04:18:47 PM
FiveThirtyEight on the greatness of the NFC West:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/is-the-nfc-west-the-toughest-division-in-nfl-history/
The NFC as a whole is awful this year, just like it was in 2015 (which is why the Panthers steamrolled everyone that year). So at this point, the Rams, Cardinals, and Seahawks should all make the playoffs. The 49ers would be with them if they had any hope of stopping a team with a passing game.

thspfc

Jets 33, Falcons 13
Patriots 34, Texans 0
Vikings 45, Lions 20
Panthers 27, Eagles 23
Saints 24, Washington 13
Titans 28, Jaguars 27
Buccaneers 31, Dolphins 26
Bengals 24, Packers 20
Steelers 20, Broncos 10
Bears 25, Raiders 17
Chargers 38, Browns 14
Cowboys 28, Giants 20
49ers 27, Cardinals 14
Chiefs 40, Bills 27

My opinions on the Bears and 49ers have not changed, I just think that the Raiders and Cardinals will struggle offensively against the pass rush of those two defenses, and force key turnovers to change the game.

Interestingly, the Bills actually have to face a quarterback who is not either a) a backup, or b) a shell of his former self. The lid comes off, and people realize that the Chiefs aren't actually that bad.

plain

Newark born, Richmond bred

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on October 07, 2021, 10:40:05 AM
Chiefs 40, Bills 27
Interestingly, the Bills actually have to face a quarterback who is not either a) a backup, or b) a shell of his former self. The lid comes off, and people realize that the Chiefs aren't actually that bad.

Bills may lose, but come on. 40 points? They've only given up 37 points all season, and I know it's been against bad opponents, but the difference is the Chiefs might score 25 or 30 instead of 10.

We probably won't learn anything new about the Chiefs no matter the outcome: They've got one of the best offenses in the league and one of the worst defenses. It's not talked about enough that Eagles had three TD's called back by penalty, kicked FG's on all three drives, and lost by 12. So that game is an all-time shootout going to overtime at 42-42 if not for those penalties.

It's a massive game for both teams, though.  :paranoid:

dvferyance

Quote from: thspfc on October 06, 2021, 09:51:55 PM
Quote from: webny99 on October 06, 2021, 04:18:47 PM
FiveThirtyEight on the greatness of the NFC West:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/is-the-nfc-west-the-toughest-division-in-nfl-history/
The NFC as a whole is awful this year, just like it was in 2015 (which is why the Panthers steamrolled everyone that year). So at this point, the Rams, Cardinals, and Seahawks should all make the playoffs. The 49ers would be with them if they had any hope of stopping a team with a passing game.
Or even worse 2010. Hard to beleive it was the Chicago Bears that hosted the NFC Championship game that year.

jgb191

Not surprised that the Patriots kept it competitive against the Bucs.  Coach Belichick seemed to know all about Tom Brady's tendencies and weaknesses and I am willing to bet that he'd been staying up all night diagramming defensive plays to counter-punch the Bucs offense.  He seems to be great at playing "chess" on the field making the right moves at the right times; no wonder he is considered to be one of the all-time greatest coaches in any sport.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jgb191 on October 08, 2021, 04:52:20 AM
Not surprised that the Patriots kept it competitive against the Bucs.  Coach Belichick seemed to know all about Tom Brady's tendencies and weaknesses and I am willing to bet that he'd been staying up all night diagramming defensive plays to counter-punch the Bucs offense.  He seems to be great at playing "chess" on the field making the right moves at the right times; no wonder he is considered to be one of the all-time greatest coaches in any sport.

NFL coaches watch film for hours seeking out every little nuance of an opposing player. They will notice every blink, every step, every movement.

Bellchick coached Brady for over a decade. But don't forget, in a different meaning, Brady was coached by Bellchick. The two know each others patterns and tendencies. Brady just needed to make minute changes...ones that Bellchick has never seen before...to throw his team off just a hair.

Henry

After last night's loss to the Rams, could this be the beginning of the end for the Seahawks as we know it?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

webny99

Quote from: Henry on October 08, 2021, 10:13:04 AM
After last night's loss to the Rams, could this be the beginning of the end for the Seahawks as we know it?

Maybe. There's a very real chance they don't make the playoffs given the tough division.

A lot of the traditional "good teams" don't have the greatest playoff odds this year... Patriots, Steelers, Saints...

jlam

Quote from: webny99 on October 08, 2021, 10:37:39 AM

Maybe. There's a very real chance they don't make the playoffs given the tough division.

A lot of the traditional "good teams" don't have the greatest playoff odds this year... Patriots, Steelers, Saints...
The Pats are a different team after the TB era. The Steelers don't have a strong running game, and the Saints... you know why they're so bad.

thspfc

First, how do we know them? The Legion of Boom has been dead for more than 6 years. Since then they haven't made it past the divisional. Here are all the teams that have at least made a conference championship game more recently than the Seahawks:

Patriots (x4)
Bills
Steelers
Jaguars
Titans
Chiefs (x3)
Broncos
Eagles
Packers (x3)
Vikings
Buccaneers
Saints
Falcons
Panthers
49ers
Rams
Cardinals

That's 17 of the 32 teams. So the Seahawks have been just as bad in the playoffs recently as a team like the Ravens or Saints, and they've been significantly worse than the Packers, who they often get compared to. Since 2016 they have the same number of playoff wins as the Cowboys (counting a first round bye as a playoff win, which I think should be the standard).

I wonder how much the shadow of the Legion of Boom hangs over this team today. Because the defense straight up sucks, and pretty much has ever since the end of the third quarter of Super Bowl 49. Imagine how much more criticism they would be getting if there wasn't the narrative that they would eventually figure it out. Towards the end of last season they were better than they ever have been since 2015, but the problem was that the offense declined because opposing defenses learned how to stop their go-to plays: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opdh_aJhmME&feature=emb_err_woyt

Right now the Seahawks rank dead last in offensive plays per game. For reference, the Texans are 30th, Bears 29th, Saints and WFT tied for 27th, Jaguars 26th, and Jets 25th. So that is clearly somewhat important. I've always thought that any good offense can't be reliant on the big play. The 50-yard bomb is an important piece, but it can never be the only thing that will get you yardage, because if it is then defenses will just drop 7-8 guys in coverage with two deep safeties. When the Seahawks are scoring, they're scoring quickly, and therefore putting their defense right back on the field with very little rest. That leads to opposing offenses wearing them down with long drives. This was most evident in the Titans game. The Seahawks offense couldn't stay on the field long enough to give the defense a break. From the point they were up 24-9 at halftime, they punted, scored a touchdown on a 3-play drive, punted, and punted again. Meanwhile, the Titans had drives of 8, 12, 2, 10, and 12 plays.

I'm not going to write off the Seahawks yet, mostly because the NFC sucks. They're better than the teams they're contending with for a wild card spot, like the Saints, WFT, and 49ers IMO. So I think they'll make the playoffs, but no way they make it past the divisional.

This era of 10-6/11-5/12-4 seasons with early playoff exits is getting stale, and many people think a coaching change is the answer - I don't. Step 1 is getting an offensive line, step 2 is getting a defense, and step 3 is getting an offensive coordinator who fits with Wilson. It's not easy to find someone better than Pete Carroll.

Roadgeekteen

Yes go Pats! Big win!

CoreySamson

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 10, 2021, 06:06:53 PM
Yes go Pats! Big win!
Beating the Texans on a last-second field goal while giving up 300 yards, 3 touchdowns, and no turnovers to a rookie quarterback who just threw 4 interceptions last week sounds less like "big win" and more like "the Texans shot themself in the foot with penalties, 2 missed extra points, and a 0-yard punt; we were so lucky to win" if you ask me.

At least as a Texan fan I'm not in the agony Lions fans are experiencing right now.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: CoreySamson on October 10, 2021, 06:15:04 PM
Yes go Pats! Big win!
Beating the Texans on a last-second field goal while giving up 300 yards, 3 touchdowns, and no turnovers to a rookie quarterback who just threw 4 interceptions last week sounds less like "big win" and more like "the Texans shot themself in the foot with penalties, 2 missed extra points, and a 0-yard punt; we were so lucky to win" if you ask me.

At least as a Texan fan I'm not in the agony Lions fans are experiencing right now.

The Lions haven't done anything really of note since 1957.  I'm hardly in agony given years like this are the general expectation for the team.  At minimum the Lions are largely offset by UofM football and the three other major sports teams having won championships in my lifetime.

Roadgeekteen

Yes go Pats! Big win!

Hey a win is a win, Brady is gone I'll take anything.

wanderer2575

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 10, 2021, 06:36:43 PM
Yes go Pats! Big win!

The Lions haven't done anything really of note since 1957.  I'm hardly in agony given years like this are the general expectation for the team.  At minimum the Lions are largely offset by UofM football and the three other major sports teams having won championships in my lifetime.

Saying that the Lions are offset by the Tigers, Red Wings, and Pistons is the lowest possible bar.  All four play within 1/4 mile of each other and right now all four suck.

thspfc

Speaking of Brady - 30-41, 411 yards, 5 touchdowns. The guy is leading the NFL in just about every passing category.

There will never be another football player who can even be compared to Brady. At this point there are no words left to describe Brady's career.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: wanderer2575 on October 10, 2021, 07:17:19 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 10, 2021, 06:36:43 PM
Yes go Pats! Big win!

Saying that the Lions are offset by the Tigers, Red Wings, and Pistons is the lowest possible bar.  All four play within 1/4 mile of each other and right now all four suck.

The Pistons and Red Wings had some of the greatest dynasties in their respective sports.  We had season tickets to the Red Wings (family tickets) when they were winning Stanley Cups in the late 1990s.  I attended numerous Pistons games the year they beat Lakers and went to a ton of other games during earlier the Bad Boys era.  My Dad and I went to seven UofM games the year they won the National Championship in 1997.  One of my first living memories was watching the Tigers win the World Series in 1984 with my Dad. 

Sure there isn't a ton great going on in Detroit sports at the moment, but I've seen a lot of great moments.  Why should I be angry about the Lions when the best they have ever done in my lifetime was get blown out but the Redskins (now Football Team) when the player in the NFC Championship in 1991?  I see no reason to be "in agony"  over the Detroit Lions as a fan.  They suck, they always have and I really have no expectations that will change any time soon.  I'm actually going to see them play at SoFi later this month when they play the Rams and Matt Stafford. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.