Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 28, 2022, 05:53:24 AM
Quote from: webny99 on February 16, 2022, 07:56:27 PM
Quote from: Alps on February 04, 2020, 04:48:28 PM
Justin Herbert will have the best overall stats of any rookie next year. (Helps he'll be picked later in the draft for a better team)

With the superb owl in the books, I went back to the beginning of the thread to change the title to 2022 and...
I have to give you your just due for this incredible prediction two years ago. A true gem in reply #1 to the thread...  :cheers:

If you're not going to make new threads for each season, why even have the year there?

Good question. I guess the concept of a thread for the current year started because we already had a general football thread, but it was for all football, not just the NFL. And after 1 year, there didn't seem to be a hard and fast cut off point other than my own arbitrary one, so I just changed the title.

But I'd certainly be OK with splitting each year into its own thread... or just calling this one "NFL".

NWI_Irish96

I'm in favor of having a separate thread for each year, and also separate threads for NFL and College.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

webny99

In other NFL news, the host teams of the 2022 International Games have been announced:

3 London games - Packers, Saints, Jaguars
1 Mexico City game - Cardinals
1 Munich game - Buccaneers

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on February 28, 2022, 12:44:35 PM
In other NFL news, the host teams of the 2022 International Games have been announced:

Very surprising that the Packers are giving up a home game. The others, not so much. Saints don't play as many homes games anyways because their city is frequently underwater. Jags always play in London. Cardinals are near Mexico. Bucs are going to see a major dip in revenue and fan support next year, so it makes sense that they're attempting to stay relevant by being the first team to host a game in Germany.

I'm gonna guess that the Packers will play the Jets in London, the Jags will play the Giants, the Saints will play the Ravens, and the Cardinals will play the Chargers. It's been confirmed that the Bucs will play the Chiefs.

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on February 28, 2022, 01:04:46 PM
Very surprising that the Packers are giving up a home game.

On the other hand, the NFC has the extra home game next year, so it makes sense that 4 of 5 are from the NFC. And of those 4, there's one team from each division, so if you're going to have an NFC North team, the Packers make a lot more sense than the other teams in that division IMO.

triplemultiplex

Ugh, still with these foreign games, eh?  This just in: Europe doesn't give a shit about American Football.  If they did, they'd have their own leagues and shit.  Give it up, Goddell.

The only foreign NFL games I support are like when they tried to do a preseason game in Winnipeg.  That was cool, even if they had to shorten the field because of some divots or whatever.  That's perfect because here's a country with it's own American Football league and it was a smaller city where it's a actually a big deal to host a game and not the 27th-most interesting thing one could do on a Sunday in like London or whatever.

It's kind of a cool idea, actually, to spread some exhibition games around to non-NFL cities.  It could be fun to do especially in places that aren't likely to get their own team ever.  Not every team every year, but have a couple of these novelty preseason matchups in places like Boise or Omaha or Birmingham or Louisville.  It would be particular interesting to do with teams out west that have geographically large fan bases like the Seahawks and Cowboys and Chiefs.  Hell, you could have the 'boys tour the Lone Star State over the course of several preseasons holding games in places like El Paso, San Antonio and Lubbock.  Seems to be a lot of Cowboy fans in New Mexico; host a preseason game in Albuquerque.

There's plenty of college stadiums around the country that would perfectly capable of hosting an NFL preseason game.
That's my pitch; more domestic preseason games in novel locations.  Because Seahawks vs. Chargers in Anchorage in August sounds dope!
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

gr8daynegb

Very surprising that the Packers are giving up a home game. The others, not so much. Saints don't play as many homes games anyways because their city is frequently underwater. Jags always play in London. Cardinals are near Mexico. Bucs are going to see a major dip in revenue and fan support next year, so it makes sense that they're attempting to stay relevant by being the first team to host a game in Germany.

I'm gonna guess that the Packers will play the Jets in London, the Jags will play the Giants, the Saints will play the Ravens, and the Cardinals will play the Chargers. It's been confirmed that the Bucs will play the Chiefs.

If it wasn't for the 9th extra home game don't think the Packers would have been as friendly to this. Many Green Bay area businesses need the eight home games plus two preseason game and the family night(plus hopefully postseason games) to turn a profit.  The Jersey Store and a few others around Lambeau went under last couple years due to not having, or having reduced, game day attendance.
So Lone Star now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Big John

Another factor was that the Packers were the last team not to play in the International Series.

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on February 13, 2022, 10:35:59 PM
Can't wait for an offseason of  ...  made-up drama about Kyler Murray.

The Murray drama went to a whole new level yesterday with a long statement from Murray's agent that basically said he wants to be paid now. This whole thing seems very unnecessary and isn't a great look for anyone involved. I could definitely see public sentiment starting to turn against Murray if this continues.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: webny99 on March 01, 2022, 09:25:53 AM

The Murray drama went to a whole new level yesterday with a long statement from Murray's agent that basically said he wants to be paid now. This whole thing seems very unnecessary and isn't a great look for anyone involved. I could definitely see public sentiment starting to turn against Murray if this continues.

He needs to fire his agent immediately. That memo might as well have been written in Comic Sans.

thspfc

Murray is being a Deshaun Watson by going public with this, as the negotiating should be done behind the scenes. But the Cardinals don't have much of a choice. If they don't pay him, they're going straight back to the gutter of the league. He knows that, I don't blame him for trying to get the bag as early as possible, but it would be better not to go public I think.

gr8daynegb

Quote from: thspfc on March 01, 2022, 12:20:54 PM

Murray is being a Deshaun Watson by going public with this, as the negotiating should be done behind the scenes. But the Cardinals don't have much of a choice. If they don't pay him, they're going straight back to the gutter of the league. He knows that, I don't blame him for trying to get the bag as early as possible, but it would be better not to go public I think.

Murray needs to have a great season if he thinks this power play will work. He has progressed, but at this point he is a good qb, not a great one.  I'd call his bluff as I wouldn't be giving anything near Rodgers/Mahomes level deals when nobody confuses him for either of them. 

As a Packers fan I do thank Murray for that game ending INT during the 2021-22 season
So Lone Star now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

frankenroad

Quote from: triplemultiplex on February 28, 2022, 03:40:42 PM

It's kind of a cool idea, actually, to spread some exhibition games around to non-NFL cities.  It could be fun to do especially in places that aren't likely to get their own team ever.  Not every team every year, but have a couple of these novelty preseason matchups in places like Boise or Omaha or Birmingham or Louisville.  It would be particular interesting to do with teams out west that have geographically large fan bases like the Seahawks and Cowboys and Chiefs.  Hell, you could have the 'boys tour the Lone Star State over the course of several preseasons holding games in places like El Paso, San Antonio and Lubbock.  Seems to be a lot of Cowboy fans in New Mexico; host a preseason game in Albuquerque.

There's plenty of college stadiums around the country that would perfectly capable of hosting an NFL preseason game.
That's my pitch; more domestic preseason games in novel locations.  Because Seahawks vs. Chargers in Anchorage in August sounds dope!

Cleveland vs Cincinnati at Ohio State and Pittsburgh vs Philadelphia at Penn State would, I think, be very popular games.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: frankenroad on March 01, 2022, 02:39:09 PM

Cleveland vs Cincinnati at Ohio State and Pittsburgh vs Philadelphia at Penn State would, I think, be very popular games.

As would Chicago vs Indy at Notre Dame or Purdue.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: frankenroad on March 01, 2022, 02:39:09 PM

It seems like they used to do some of this.  I remember when the Cowboys played the Oilers in Mexico City and when they played in London long before playing games in London was a thing.  When the Cowboys held training camp here in Austin, they scrimmaged the Oilers here in Austin.  not quite the same but pretty cool.  That was before they tried to Jedi mind trick everyone in to believing a preseason game was just like a regular season game so they could justify almost charging the same price per ticket.  You know, back before sports took themselves so seriously. 

thspfc

Quote from: gr8daynegb on March 01, 2022, 01:13:52 PM
Quote from: thspfc on March 01, 2022, 12:20:54 PM

Murray needs to have a great season if he thinks this power play will work. He has progressed, but at this point he is a good qb, not a great one.  I'd call his bluff as I wouldn't be giving anything near Rodgers/Mahomes level deals when nobody confuses him for either of them. 

As a Packers fan I do thank Murray for that game ending INT during the 2021-22 season
Top 12 quarterbacks signing new contracts demand top dollar. Teams' choices are pay them like they're top 3, or plunge into irrelevancy. Is Dak Prescott overpaid? Yes. Was there a better option? No.

I don't know why nobody understands this.

JayhawkCO

It's why the Vikings are over a barrel with Cousins. Are we gonna do better? Not likely. Could we do way worse? Absolutely.

mgk920

No road team wants to give up the 'gate' revenue from hosting a Packer game.  The Packers were otherwise going to host another home game and the fans are used to the 5:3 season ticketing split between northeastern Wisconsinites and the Milwaukeeans ('Green' package and 'gold' package season tickets for eight total regular season home games).  My family has had a season ticket subscription for two seats that are now on the 'Green' package since 1962.

The Spurs should sell out that game VERY QUICKLY, The Packers are one of the most popular NFL teams in the UK and Ireland.

Mike

JayhawkCO

Saints don't play as many homes games anyways because their city is frequently underwater.

You really, really hate the city of New Orleans, don't you?

hotdogPi

Quote from: JayhawkCO on March 02, 2022, 10:38:56 AM
Saints don't play as many homes games anyways because their city is frequently underwater.

I feel like New Orleans (including suburbs) is going to go the way of Galveston.
Clinched, plus NH 38, MA 286, and MA 193

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
Many state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25

New: MA 193 clinched and a tiny bit of CT 193 traveled

My computer is back; I'm just waiting for the Travel Mapping update to happen.

Henry

Quote from: mgk920 on March 02, 2022, 10:28:35 AM
The Spurs should sell out that game VERY QUICKLY, The Packers are one of the most popular NFL teams in the UK and Ireland.

Mike

???

I didn't know San Antonio had an NFL team.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Henry on March 02, 2022, 11:39:21 AM

Mike

???

They play at the home of Premier League club Tottenham Hotspur, known as Spurs.

Henry

Quote from: JayhawkCO on March 02, 2022, 11:40:52 AM

Mike

???

I know, that was purely in jest  :bigass:
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Henry on March 02, 2022, 11:56:10 AM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on March 02, 2022, 11:40:52 AM

Mike

???

I know, that was purely in jest.

Sorry, no sarcasm smiley on here. I'm sure there are plenty of folks who are unaware.

thspfc

Quote from: JayhawkCO on March 02, 2022, 10:38:56 AM

Yes.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.