News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWI_Irish96

After last night's game, I will repeat my plea for the NFL to get rid of conferences so we can get an Allen vs Mahomes Super Bowl.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

tmoore952

Quote from: webny99 on January 21, 2024, 11:21:00 PM
Quote from: webny99 on January 20, 2024, 09:11:58 PM
And so the AFC title game will NOT be hosted in Kansas City for the first time since Blake Bortles and the Jaguars faced Tom Brady and the Patriots in Foxborough six years ago. An unprecedented run of five straight home conference title games for the Chiefs, in which they went 3-2 and won two Super Bowls, has come to an end.

I apologize to all of Western NY for clinching the Chiefs' ticket to a 6th straight title game. It was foolish, unhinged and uncalled for and I know better.

I cannot apologize for the Lions winning to set up the Bills to be the only home team to lose in 2023 after being the only road team to lose in 2021, as that was not in fact the clincher, but only some pre-salting of the wound.

At least you don't have people on this forum telling you that your fanbase "deserved" to lose (see posts 5200 and 5201 [5201 is by me]).
I made light of it, but was still rather annoyed. Like the person who posted #5200 really knows all X million people in that fanbase.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: tmoore952 on January 22, 2024, 03:26:21 PM
And so the AFC title game will NOT be hosted in Kansas City for the first time since Blake Bortles and the Jaguars faced Tom Brady and the Patriots in Foxborough six years ago. An unprecedented run of five straight home conference title games for the Chiefs, in which they went 3-2 and won two Super Bowls, has come to an end.

I apologize to all of Western NY for clinching the Chiefs' ticket to a 6th straight title game. It was foolish, unhinged and uncalled for and I know better.

I cannot apologize for the Lions winning to set up the Bills to be the only home team to lose in 2023 after being the only road team to lose in 2021, as that was not in fact the clincher, but only some pre-salting of the wound.

At least you don't have people on this forum telling you that your fanbase "deserved" to lose (see posts 5200 and 5201 [5201 is by me]).
I made light of it, but was still rather annoyed. Like the person who posted #5200 really knows all X million people in that fanbase.

I wouldn't say any fans "deserve" to lose but I would say that my life is much more enjoyable when the Packers, Steelers, Cowboys and Patriots have all been eliminated.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

webny99

Well, I would expect that from a fan of a division rival, and it would be the same in the AFC East. But anyone saying that about a fan base outside their own division that has never won a chip is completely unhinged  :crazy:

thspfc

Yeah, I should have been more specific. Only a (sizeable) minority of Eagles fans deserved it.

dvferyance

Quote from: jgb191 on January 21, 2024, 07:57:29 PM
The Green Bay Packers have a very bright future ahead of them.  They are going to be a scary force to be reckoned with for many years to come; it shouldn't be too long before the Packers become the NFL's next empire like the NE Patriots have been adding several more Vince Lombardi trophies to their history (some consecutively).
They already have been. They had Favre and Rodgers for how many years?

kurumi

Quote from: dvferyance on January 22, 2024, 06:11:11 PM
Quote from: jgb191 on January 21, 2024, 07:57:29 PM
The Green Bay Packers have a very bright future ahead of them.  They are going to be a scary force to be reckoned with for many years to come; it shouldn't be too long before the Packers become the NFL's next empire like the NE Patriots have been adding several more Vince Lombardi trophies to their history (some consecutively).
They already have been. They had Favre and Rodgers for how many years?

Favre: 16 seasons, 1 ring
Rodgers: 18 seasons, 1 ring
Bart Starr has 2 rings for Super Bowl I and II.

If GB becomes an empire and wins multiple Lombardis, Love could surpass Favre and Rodgers pretty quickly
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Big John

^^ and Starr had 3 more champions that happened before Super Bowl I.

thspfc

Suggesting that the Packers will be the NFL's "next empire", as if the 'next' empire hasn't been underway for over half a decade, is certainly an idea.

Henry

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on January 21, 2024, 09:48:10 PM
Chiefs are going to the AFC Championship game after the Bills missed a critical FG attempt to tie the game!
Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on January 21, 2024, 09:50:23 PM
What a way for Buffalo to lose....bad decisions by Josh Allen and a wide right muffed field goal, of all things.

Second time in their history that a kick went wide right...of course, we all know what happened at the end of Super Bowl XXV. I wouldn't be surprised if Tyler Bass is being compared to Scott Norwood right now.

It would be nice to see the Lions make it to the Super Bowl, as they're the only NFC North team that has never been there. But beating the 49ers will be a tall order, so Detroit has their work cut out for them.

And the Ravens will have to contend with the defending Super Bowl champs in the AFC title game. That being said, it'll be one of the most exciting pair of conference championships to watch in years.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

jlam

Quote from: Henry on January 22, 2024, 11:22:37 PM
Second time in their history that a kick went wide right...
I'm sure a Bills kicker has missed at least one other field goal/extra point wide right in the history of their organization, though those two misses are by far the most famous.

webny99

Quote from: kurumi on January 22, 2024, 10:47:58 PM
If GB becomes an empire and wins multiple Lombardis, Love could surpass Favre and Rodgers pretty quickly

My extremely long-term take is that only getting one SB trophy per HOF QB while otherwise losing in the playoffs is part of the penalty the Packers pay for having HOF QB play for 45 years. It's still easily a worthwhile tradeoff, though. 90% of fanbases would sign up for that in a heartbeat.

What stings this year for the Packers is that, even though it was a surprise run, it's still a huge missed opportunity because they know they could've beaten the Lions. The Bucs, Texans, and even Bills would not have been as confident as the Packers about punching their tickets to the Super Bowl had they won.

Quote from: thspfc on January 22, 2024, 11:00:41 PM
Suggesting that the Packers will be the NFL's "next empire", as if the 'next' empire hasn't been underway for over half a decade, is certainly an idea.

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately, depending on your perspective) I think beating the desperate Bills on the road essentially "clinches" dynasty/empire status for the Chiefs. That big road win was the only thing missing from their resume. This post from former KC center summed it up well.

Buck87

Second time in their history that a kick went wide right...of course, we all know what happened at the end of Super Bowl XXV. I wouldn't be surprised if Tyler Bass is being compared to Scott Norwood right now.

I'm getting slightly annoyed at all these comparisons to the Norwood kick. The two scenarios are quite different.

If Norwood had made his kick the Bills would have had a 2 point lead with 4 seconds left. It's pretty safe to say that the result of the Norwood kick determined who would win Super Bowl XXV.

If Tyler Bass had make his kick, the Bills would have been in a tie game with 1:43 left and the Chiefs possessing 2 timeouts and a Patrick Mahomes lead offense. In my opinion it's likely that the Bass kick only determined whether Buffalo's loss in regulation would be by a 24-27 score or something more like 27-30 or even 27-34.

tmoore952

Quote from: Buck87 on January 23, 2024, 11:12:43 AM

I'm getting slightly annoyed at all these comparisons to the Norwood kick. The two scenarios are quite different.

If Norwood had made his kick the Bills would have had a 2 point lead with 4 seconds left. It's pretty safe to say that the result of the Norwood kick determined who would win Super Bowl XXV.

If Tyler Bass had make his kick, the Bills would have been in a tie game with 1:43 left and the Chiefs possessing 2 timeouts and a Patrick Mahomes lead offense. In my opinion it's likely that the Bass kick only determined whether Buffalo's loss in regulation would be by a 24-27 score or something more like 27-30 or even 27-34.

I was also thinking about this, realizing that the scenarios were different.

The only other playoff game I can remember off the top of my head, similar to SB XXV, where a missed FG very late in regulation kept a team "from taking the lead" (as opposed to tying) was on Dec. 24, 1978 in a Wild Card game between the Philadelphia Eagles and the Atlanta Falcons. Missed FG with 13 seconds left by the Eagles kept the score as 14-13 Falcons (and that was the final score).

I'm sure there have been others.

triplemultiplex

There's a tendency to focus on one kick when it goes awry, but every moment like that was preceded by a dozen that would have made the kick irrelevant.  It's just a recency bias that makes fans blame the one missed field goal or the one dropped pass or the one blown coverage near the end of the game.  That's what happened last, so that's what they lament.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

webny99

Quote from: tmoore952 on January 23, 2024, 11:21:03 AM

The only other playoff game I can remember off the top of my head, similar to SB XXV, where a missed FG very late in regulation kept a team "from taking the lead" (as opposed to tying) was on Dec. 24, 1978 in a Wild Card game between the Philadelphia Eagles and the Atlanta Falcons. Missed FG with 13 seconds left by the Eagles kept the score as 14-13 Falcons (and that was the final score).

Don't forget Double Doink!

Regarding the Bills, my opinion is that they had already lost the game by settling for a field goal on that drive. They were not going to win without scoring another touchdown in regulation, full stop. Their extremely injured defense had very little hope of stopping the Chiefs, so by settling for a field goal their best shot to win was probably to allow a quick touchdown and get the ball back... still needing a touchdown. In other words, the macro view of why they lost is that they couldn't play defense (largely due to injuries but that's somewhat besides the point), but the micro view of why they lost is not because of the missed kick, but rather their inability to score a touchdown on their last possession. That's partially on Allen for two bad decisions, but also Diggs and Sherfield for drops that would have set up more favorable scoring scenarios.

Quote from: triplemultiplex on January 23, 2024, 11:32:31 AM
There's a tendency to focus on one kick when it goes awry, but every moment like that was preceded by a dozen that would have made the kick irrelevant.  It's just a recency bias that makes fans blame the one missed field goal or the one dropped pass or the one blown coverage near the end of the game.  That's what happened last, so that's what they lament.

The missed kick was a "typical Bills" type of moment but I think everyone recognizes they were in a bad spot even if the kick was made. Tied at 27, a Chiefs game winning field goal or a repeat of 2021 with a last-second flurry of scoring would have felt inevitable.

tmoore952

Quote from: webny99 on January 23, 2024, 11:47:51 AM
Quote from: tmoore952 on January 23, 2024, 11:21:03 AM

Don't forget Double Doink!

In addition to the 1978 game I mentioned:
The infamous Tony Romo botched snap hold occurred on a field goal attempt with 1 minute left in a 2006 season WC game (in early 2007), Would have put Dallas up 23-21 --- they lost 21-20 (to Seattle).

Almost the same, except here it wasn't the kicker's fault.

74/171FAN

QuoteThe infamous Tony Romo botched snap hold occurred on a field goal attempt with 1 minute left in a 2006 season WC game (in early 2007), Would have put Dallas up 23-21 --- they lost 21-20.

It is still weird to me that people hate Romo the most for a play when he was not even the QB.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Henry

How can I forget that Double Doink game? I kind of expected the Bears to lose to the then-defending champions, but not in the manner that they did. On a side note, Chris Collinsworth, who used the phrase on the air that night, is actually the second announcer to do so, after Chris Berman at a Lions game in 2000; he also credits the late John Madden with the "doink" term.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

mgk920

Quote from: 74/171FAN on January 23, 2024, 08:52:58 PM
QuoteThe infamous Tony Romo botched snap hold occurred on a field goal attempt with 1 minute left in a 2006 season WC game (in early 2007), Would have put Dallas up 23-21 --- they lost 21-20.

It is still weird to me that people hate Romo the most for a play when he was not even the QB.

And yet, Romo was stopped JUST SHORT of the very best thing that the Cowboys could have possibly gotten out of that play - a first down.  Remember that there was nearly a minute left in the game, PLENTY of time for Hassleback to get the Seahawks (who were out of time outs) to the other end of the field and in a position to tie or win that game.  With the first down, the Cowboys  would have 'kneed' the clock down to a couple of seconds and they were NOT going to botch that field goal try a second time.

Mike

Great Lakes Roads

-Jay Seaburg

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on January 24, 2024, 11:26:32 AM
The Packers have fired DC Joe Barry...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoqjULS-EII

Could we said the Packers packed Joe Barry? Sorry, I couldn't resist to do this name gam ^_^;

webny99

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 21, 2024, 06:29:44 PM
Apparently the Buccaneers could have taken a timeout at the end?

Just catching up on this... yeah, that was crazy. You have to call the timeout in that spot with your season on the line. Forget the probability, not calling the timeout takes you from having a very slim chance to having no chance at all. It might even be forgivable in the regular season but with a trip to the NFC Championship on the line, you cannot choose no chance.

ZLoth

Quote from: ZLoth on January 07, 2024, 09:06:08 PM
My NFC bracket....
2 Cowboys bear 7 Packers
3 Lions beat 6 Rams
4 Bucs beat 5 Eagles because Eagles are in a slump. Game could go either way as neither team was impressive during week 18. Will this be the Peacock game?

1 49ers beat 4 Bucs/5 Eagles
3 Lions beat 2 Cowboys. Call it Christmas payback.

1 49ers beat 3 Lions

Boy was I wrong.
Why does "END ROAD WORK" sound like it belongs on a protest sign?

tmoore952

Quote from: ZLoth on January 24, 2024, 05:34:28 PM
Quote from: ZLoth on January 07, 2024, 09:06:08 PM
My NFC bracket....
2 Cowboys bear 7 Packers
3 Lions beat 6 Rams
4 Bucs beat 5 Eagles because Eagles are in a slump. Game could go either way as neither team was impressive during week 18. Will this be the Peacock game?

1 49ers beat 4 Bucs/5 Eagles
3 Lions beat 2 Cowboys. Call it Christmas payback.

1 49ers beat 3 Lions

Boy was I wrong.
You got the championship game matchup right (we'll see about the result). The Packers upset messed up all of your divisional game matchups but you still got those winners right.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.