News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Purdy pretty much silenced (in my view) any controversy regarding whether he should be the starter. 

webny99

Only the 2nd SB in history to go to overtime, and it was a "good game" by all counts, but it somehow it just didn't feel that exciting. It just felt over as soon as the 49ers settled for a FG on their opening possession of OT. For the 49ers to get that close again and fall short is just brutal. It felt like it was happening in slow motion all night.

Also, the new playoff OT rules have been weirdly under-discussed. Like what happens if there's a defensive score or a safety on the first possession? Is it game over or does the team that just scored still get an offensive possession? And what happens if (as came very close to happening tonight) each team has not completed their initial "guaranteed" possession by the end of the first overtime period? Do they have to score before 0:00 just like in regulation or does the clock keep rolling into a second overtime? Definitely questions to find answers to this offseason.

LilianaUwU

Ugh. Can't wait for more Taylor Swift spam.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Rothman

Happy for her and her boyfriend.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

74/171FAN

QuoteAlso, the new playoff OT rules have been weirdly under-discussed. Like what happens if there's a defensive score or a safety on the first possession? Is it game over or does the team that just scored still get an offensive possession? And what happens if (as came very close to happening tonight) each team has not completed their initial "guaranteed" possession by the end of the first overtime period? Do they have to score before 0:00 just like in regulation or does the clock keep rolling into a second overtime? Definitely questions to find answers to this offseason.

I thought this was resolved in the Hail Flacco game when Peyton Manning did not throw the INT until the 2nd OT. 

QuoteAfter the first three drives of overtime ended in punts, Corey Graham made his second interception of a pass from Manning intended for Stokley on the Broncos 45-yard line. On the last play of the first overtime period, Rice's 11-yard run moved the Ravens into field goal range. Four plays later, rookie kicker Justin Tucker kicked a 47-yard field goal to win the game.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

ozarkman417

And the Chiefs win because of the overtime rule that was brought into existence because of themselves.... fireworks are being shot off near me.

Congrats to Moody for holding a SB record for maybe an hour.

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on February 11, 2024, 11:14:05 PM
Only the 2nd SB in history to go to overtime, and it was a "good game" by all counts, but it somehow it just didn't feel that exciting.
Speak for yourself. I'd put it in the top five of this century.

I have to say, I've been impressed by how little complaning about the referees I've heard during this postseason. Twitter put up career high numbers last year, maybe career low numbers this year.

Ugh. No more football until September. Not sure what the dead horse drama will be this year. Justin Fields is getting traded, period, so it won't be that.

Quote from: ozarkman417 on February 11, 2024, 11:23:52 PM
And the Chiefs win because of the overtime rule that was brought into existence because of themselves.... fireworks are being shot off near me.
This is exactly how it would have played out under the old rules. A field goal did not end the game then.

Max Rockatansky

Missing the extra block via block is what ultimate lost the game for the 49ers. 

Great Lakes Roads

THE DYNASTY HAS BEGUN! I've seen the Patriots with Brady, and now, I get to see Mahomes with the Chiefs win another Super Bowl!
-Jay Seaburg

JayhawkCO

Quote from: LilianaUwU on February 11, 2024, 11:16:26 PM
Ugh. Can't wait for more Taylor Swift spam.

Don't be the baby elephant.

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on February 11, 2024, 10:59:04 PM
To come back from 10 points down and pull off multiple incredibly clutch drives in the 4th quarter/OT of the Super Bowl three times? The man is ridiculous.

Of course I am not disagreeing with this, but 10 point leads aren't what they used to be. In this era of the NFL it feels like unless you have a three score lead or more (and sometimes even then), anything can happen in the second half. It was so early in the game when the 49ers were up 10 that it felt more like a coin flip than the 49ers being heavy favorites to win.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 11, 2024, 11:04:00 PM
Purdy pretty much silenced (in my view) any controversy regarding whether he should be the starter. 

Wait a minute, there was controversy regarding whether he should be the starter?

thspfc

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 11, 2024, 11:27:35 PM
Missing the extra block via block is what ultimate lost the game for the 49ers.
The defense becoming swiss cheese in the second half and overtime is mostly what did it. And if you want to put it on one play, the mistake on the punt that led to KC's first touchdown was more critical.

Rothman

Quote from: thspfc on February 11, 2024, 11:24:33 PM
Only the 2nd SB in history to go to overtime, and it was a "good game" by all counts, but it somehow it just didn't feel that exciting.

Sort of an unimpressive ranking given how many were played last century.

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ozarkman417

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on February 11, 2024, 11:27:44 PM
THE DYNASTY HAS BEGUN! I've seen the Patriots with Brady, and now, I get to see Mahomes with the Chiefs win another Super Bowl!
As someone who lives in Missouri, I guess I ought to enjoy it while it lasts. Being in the AFC we were under Brady's thumb for years, now we're the bad guys.

Quote from: thspfc on February 11, 2024, 10:59:04 PM
Yes, Mahomes has now surpassed Manning and Montana, and I don't even think it's up for debate. To come back from 10 points down and pull off multiple incredibly clutch drives in the 4th quarter/OT of the Super Bowl three times? The man is ridiculous.
I had a feeling Mr. 13 seconds would pull something off.

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on February 11, 2024, 11:24:33 PM

I guess it probably is, and I may remember it more favorably in hindsight, but it just felt so predictable even despite being a close, back and forth game. I think Chiefs fatigue has already set in for me. After they beat the Bills I just could not see them losing to any of the remaining three teams so I basically just accepted them as SB champs right then and there.

But the good thing is that they got the 3 titles in 5 years out of the way now, so there should be a nice 6-8 year run of some different teams getting their shot...  :sombrero:

texaskdog

I thought they were going to run out of time.  They had a time out and was like they weren't even watching the clock.

bing101

Congrats to the Chiefs!

thspfc

A crazy thing is, there hasn't been a Super Bowl champion with this much room for improvement entering the next season in a long time. Last year they had a mediocre WR room and a younger Kelce. This year their WR room went from medicore to one of the worst in the league, and Kelce started to show age for the first time, suggesting he's now past his prime. But, of course, the defense became one of the league's best. Last year's offense with this year's defense is a team that could contend for 17-0.

After a strong finish to his rookie season, Rice will be expected to perform as a true WR1. They're undoubtebly going to bring in somebody good to complement him - who wouldn't want to play with Mahomes. Kelce probably has a couple years of Pro Bowl production left. KC really should be better next year. That's not to say they're absolutely going to threepeat, because with 32 teams in the league, chances are, they won't. But in theory, they will have a better squad than the one that just won it all.

Rothman

Quote from: texaskdog on February 11, 2024, 11:42:26 PM
I thought they were going to run out of time.  They had a time out and was like they weren't even watching the clock.
They didn't have to given the OT setup.  It was just like the end of a quarter.

Mapmikey

Only the 2nd SB in history to go to overtime, and it was a "good game" by all counts, but it somehow it just didn't feel that exciting. It just felt over as soon as the 49ers settled for a FG on their opening possession of OT. For the 49ers to get that close again and fall short is just brutal. It felt like it was happening in slow motion all night.

Also, the new playoff OT rules have been weirdly under-discussed. Like what happens if there's a defensive score or a safety on the first possession? Is it game over or does the team that just scored still get an offensive possession? And what happens if (as came very close to happening tonight) each team has not completed their initial "guaranteed" possession by the end of the first overtime period? Do they have to score before 0:00 just like in regulation or does the clock keep rolling into a second overtime? Definitely questions to find answers to this offseason.

A defensive score ends the game...

There is no expiring clock in playoff OT for the second team's initial position.  This site - operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-overtime-rules/ - suggests there is a "halftime" at the end of the 2nd OT period.  Should the game still be tied after a 4th OT period, there would be another coin toss.

NWI_Irish96

For everybody who was torching Dan Campbell for not taking field goals two weeks ago:

49ers had opportunities to go for it on 4th down in both of their last two possessions and took the field goals. In the 4th quarter, all the 49ers had to do was convert that 4th down, run the clock down and then kick the FG with no time left. Game over.

In OT, they could have gone for it on 4th down to try to get the TD which gives them the opportunity to win in sudden death on their next possession if the Chiefs get the tying touchdown.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

kwellada

Patrick Mahomes might be the most inevitable force of nature I've seen in football.

I might not even bother watching games next fall because I have this feeling the Chiefs will be the first team to three-peat as champions.

epzik8

I would have wanted McCaffrey or Jennings from the 49ers as SBMVP IF they held on.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

triplemultiplex

There was a slow build to this game.  Defensive battle early on; turnovers with zero points off.  Lot of punting in the 3rd.  When it got late, though, you could just feel like it would end with Mahomes driving 'em down the field again.  SF's D wore down.  They were solid for most of the game, but damn if they didn't get outlasted.
I feel bad for that dude who jacked his Achilles running onto the field.  That's gotta be the suckiest way to get hurt in the SB.  Not even during a play. Just one wrong step and some old injury comes smashing back.

I guess the offseason gets dominated by "Chiefs dynasty" or complaining about "Chiefs dynasty".
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

webny99

Quote from: 74/171FAN on February 11, 2024, 11:23:00 PM
QuoteAlso, the new playoff OT rules have been weirdly under-discussed. Like what happens if there's a defensive score or a safety on the first possession? Is it game over or does the team that just scored still get an offensive possession? And what happens if (as came very close to happening tonight) each team has not completed their initial "guaranteed" possession by the end of the first overtime period? Do they have to score before 0:00 just like in regulation or does the clock keep rolling into a second overtime? Definitely questions to find answers to this offseason.

I thought this was resolved in the Hail Flacco game when Peyton Manning did not throw the INT until the 2nd OT. 

QuoteAfter the first three drives of overtime ended in punts, Corey Graham made his second interception of a pass from Manning intended for Stokley on the Broncos 45-yard line. On the last play of the first overtime period, Rice's 11-yard run moved the Ravens into field goal range. Four plays later, rookie kicker Justin Tucker kicked a 47-yard field goal to win the game.

Whoops, missed this earlier. Yes, if the score was tied it would go to a second OT, but in this case what if the score was not tied (49ers lead 22-19) and the Chiefs had not ended their first possession by the time the first OT period was over? Turns out the game would still continue into a 2nd OT period, as noted by Mapmikey upthread.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.