News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

NV 374

Started by Max Rockatansky, July 31, 2018, 10:19:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Went through NV 374 in 2016 on my way to Hell's Gate in Death, made a stop at the ghost town Rhyolite on the way.  Put together a small blog post on Surewhynotnow regarding the subject after going through my photos:

http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2018/07/ghost-town-tuesday-nevada-state-route.html

nexus73

Seeing that glass bottle house reminds me that my stepmother, before she married my father back in the later Sixties, used to go to Nevada ghost towns in the winter, where she and her earlier husband would find glass bottles to bring back to Coos Bay-North Bend.  They would sell them in the summer north of town along US 101 in Hauser in a place called The Glass Shack. 

Doing it that way sure beats digging out the bottles in summer and selling them during an Oregon coast winter...LOL!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: nexus73 on July 31, 2018, 07:52:44 PM
Seeing that glass bottle house reminds me that my stepmother, before she married my father back in the later Sixties, used to go to Nevada ghost towns in the winter, where she and her earlier husband would find glass bottles to bring back to Coos Bay-North Bend.  They would sell them in the summer north of town along US 101 in Hauser in a place called The Glass Shack. 

Doing it that way sure beats digging out the bottles in summer and selling them during an Oregon coast winter...LOL!

Rick

I was actually surprised that there as so much debris in Rhyolite that hadn't been picked over yet given how close it is to Beatty.  The plumbing system for the town was steel piping and appeared to be largely intact.  I've to some really derelict Nevada ghost towns like Aurora which are in the middle of nowhere but somehow have been picked clean of anything worth noting. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.