News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Tipping Cleaning Staff at Hotels/Motels

Started by signalman, September 28, 2017, 09:32:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Looking at a jar of peanut butter right now. Serving size 2 tablespoons, 16g of fat, 0 cholesterol, 140mg sugar, 6g carbs, 7g protein.

Ingredients: selected roasted peanuts, sugar, hydrogenated vegetable oil (cottonseed and/or rapeseed oil), salt, molasses. Contains: Peanuts.

Well, duh. Who would ever think that peanut butter contains peanuts? Besides, peanuts aren't really nuts. They're legumes and are more like beans than they are walnuts or chestnuts or hazelnuts.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Scott5114

Quote from: Beltway on October 19, 2017, 12:28:23 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on October 19, 2017, 07:22:17 AM
Quote from: Beltway on October 19, 2017, 06:57:36 AM
No protein.  Uggh.
I mean, there's milk, but...

There actually are minimal amounts of protein in milk and spaghetti and a few other non-meat, non-poultry, non-egg foods, but very minimal.

The brand of milk I drink has 13g per cup of protein (25% DV). Wouldn't exactly call that minimal, although Oklahoma has access to better milk than the rest of the country...

Quote from: hbelkins on October 19, 2017, 04:18:47 PM
Well, duh. Who would ever think that peanut butter contains peanuts?

Labeling laws that are needed for people who might get sick if something doesn't obviously contain peanuts don't include exceptions for foods that obviously include peanuts.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Beltway

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 19, 2017, 04:21:27 PM
No protein.  Uggh.
There actually are minimal amounts of protein in milk and spaghetti and a few other non-meat, non-poultry, non-egg foods, but very minimal.
The brand of milk I drink has 13g per cup of protein (25% DV). Wouldn't exactly call that minimal, although Oklahoma has access to better milk than the rest of the country...

Certain brands of food can have higher than normal amounts of protein.

A cup of Special K Protein cereal, 1.9 oz., 190 calories, has 12 grams of protein.
Most cereal has very little protein.

I doubt that the milk on that lunch tray has any significant amount of protein in it.  Standard milk doesn't.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 19, 2017, 09:39:25 AM
Quote from: english si on October 19, 2017, 03:52:29 AM
Quote from: kphoger on October 18, 2017, 09:36:21 AMYou're better off eating plain peanut butter.
PB's extremely calorific - not just from the 20% carbs (with twice the sugar to starch), but the 50% fat too.

I'm not sure why calories from fat should be ignored and sugar be treated as the only evil (not least as Jaime 'fatty' Oliver's crusade against sugar in the UK hasn't improved anything and created other problems). PB is no better than jelly.

Plus, a PB&J doesn't have that much jelly (or PB) so the teaspoon of sugar from the fillings are fine - providing you aren't eating tons of sugar elsewhere: moderation is the key, as always.

While I've always liked PB, I probably eat more today than I ever did as a kid.  Most days when I get home from work I'll have a slice of bread and PB.  Maybe 2...if I'm real hungry.

I was also one of the few kids that got lunch as school...Every.  Single.  Day.  I never brought it, and I'm not saying maybe once in a while - I'm saying Never!  I also had a tendency to like whatever offering was available at school.  My mom will often note during a specific parent-child luncheon one day the chicken the cafeteria served was awful. No one ate it...except me!  I probably had no clue there was nothing wrong with it.  And that's still me today - If it's in front of me, I'll probably eat it!
About 3/4 of the kids at my school buy lunch.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

jakeroot

This thread could be nominated for "most off-topic relative to original topic".

This was the point where it all went south:

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 16, 2017, 04:07:30 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on October 15, 2017, 10:15:34 PM
Just spent three nights at a Wyndham in Los Angeles. We tipped $5 each day before we left. Room came back looking excellent! I suspect it would have looked the same regardless, but I sleep better at night knowing that I helped a family who's probably not very rich, and could use the tax-free income.

$5 will not buy much.

kkt

Quote from: Beltway on October 19, 2017, 06:28:09 PM
No protein.  Uggh.

A cup of Special K Protein cereal, 1.9 oz., 190 calories, has 12 grams of protein.

I doubt that the milk on that lunch tray has any significant amount of protein in it.  Standard milk doesn't.

Kroger's nutrition statement is online: 8 oz. of 1% milkfat milk contains 8 grams of protein.  Not enough for the day by any means, but it's something.

Beltway

Quote from: kkt on October 19, 2017, 07:44:27 PM
No protein.  Uggh.
Kroger's nutrition statement is online: 8 oz. of 1% milkfat milk contains 8 grams of protein.  Not enough for the day by any means, but it's something.

What about that milk in the glass on that lunch tray?

(Robert Coté, 2002)

bulldog1979

Quote from: kkt on October 13, 2017, 02:19:54 PM
Tipping in cash while paying the bill on the credit card is not only to help the server underreport their income.  Cash tips go to the server immediately.  A tip on the credit card is in limbo at least until the business gets reimbursed by the credit card company at the end of the month.  And businesses skim a portion of the credit card reimbursement, at least for the fee the credit card charges them, possibly more.

Many restaurants do not operate this way though. For the ones in our hotel, whatever total value of tips charged on the credit card or the room charge is paid out to the server out of their cash collected. So if the server takes in $100 in cash payments and is owed $25 in tips applied to credit cards or included into a charge transferred to the room, then the server keeps $25 out of his/her cash and drops the remaining $75 in the safe at the end of the shift. (If the numbers were reversed, $100 in tips owed on $25 collected, the server keeps the $25 and gets $75 paid out by the front desk before leaving.)

In short, you can't generalize that all credit card tips are delayed.

bulldog1979

Quote from: hbelkins on October 13, 2017, 11:52:53 PM
I would guess that most hotels/motels don't change the bedding every night unless the occupant of the room is going to be someone different. Does anyone change their bedding every day at home? I wouldn't think so.

The standard at our hotel is that after your first night staying, your room is a "make", and then it's a "change" after the second, alternating for the rest of your stay. A "make" room is made up with the existing sheets on the bed, exchanging any towels left on the floor. A "change" room has the bedding changed and the towels exchanged. All rooms are completely serviced after a check out.

roadman

Quote from: hbelkins on October 19, 2017, 04:18:47 PM
Looking at a jar of peanut butter right now. Serving size 2 tablespoons, 16g of fat, 0 cholesterol, 140mg sugar, 6g carbs, 7g protein.

Ingredients: selected roasted peanuts, sugar, hydrogenated vegetable oil (cottonseed and/or rapeseed oil), salt, molasses. Contains: Peanuts.

Well, duh. Who would ever think that peanut butter contains peanuts? Besides, peanuts aren't really nuts. They're legumes and are more like beans than they are walnuts or chestnuts or hazelnuts.
Another example of paranoid lawyers at work trying to minimize lawsuits.  Think peanut allergies - which IMO are now a problem with many in the younger generation because many in the older generation ate processed peanut butter on processed white bread when they were growing up.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

signalman

Quote from: jakeroot on October 19, 2017, 07:36:01 PM
This thread could be nominated for "most off-topic relative to original topic".

This was the point where it all went south:

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 16, 2017, 04:07:30 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on October 15, 2017, 10:15:34 PM
Just spent three nights at a Wyndham in Los Angeles. We tipped $5 each day before we left. Room came back looking excellent! I suspect it would have looked the same regardless, but I sleep better at night knowing that I helped a family who's probably not very rich, and could use the tax-free income.

$5 will not buy much.
Thank you!  I was just catching up on reading this topic and was like WTF?!  I was going to raise hell once I read all the posts I hadn't seen since my last visit, but you called them out before I could.  Still, they want to steer off-topic, although bulldog also attempted to get somewhat back on topic.

hbelkins

Quote from: bulldog1979 on October 19, 2017, 10:24:41 PM
I would guess that most hotels/motels don't change the bedding every night unless the occupant of the room is going to be someone different. Does anyone change their bedding every day at home? I wouldn't think so.

The standard at our hotel is that after your first night staying, your room is a "make", and then it's a "change" after the second, alternating for the rest of your stay. A "make" room is made up with the existing sheets on the bed, exchanging any towels left on the floor. A "change" room has the bedding changed and the towels exchanged. All rooms are completely serviced after a check out.

Towels exchanged -- do you mean that only the used towels are changed out for fresh ones, or all towels, including those that were not used, are swapped out?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kkt

Quote from: Beltway on October 19, 2017, 09:29:17 PM
No protein.  Uggh.

What about that milk in the glass on that lunch tray?

How do I know?  Google for yourself.

roadman

Quote from: hbelkins on October 20, 2017, 11:57:27 AM
Quote from: bulldog1979 on October 19, 2017, 10:24:41 PM

Towels exchanged -- do you mean that only the used towels are changed out for fresh ones, or all towels, including those that were not used, are swapped out?
The general rule in hotels/motels I've stayed at is that only the towels left on the bathroom floor will be changed out.  Those towels that are hung up, or remain unused in the racks/holders, will not be replaced.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Beltway

Quote from: kkt on October 20, 2017, 12:03:34 PM
No protein.  Uggh.
What about the milk in the glass on that lunch tray?

The brand of the milk on the lunch tray is not cited.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

kkt

Quote from: Beltway on October 20, 2017, 12:47:52 PM
Quote from: kkt on October 20, 2017, 12:03:34 PM
No protein.  Uggh.
What about the milk in the glass on that lunch tray?

That would be why I looked up a brand of milk that had its nutrition statement on the web.

roadman

Beltway

Quote from: roadman on October 20, 2017, 12:59:21 PM
School lunch.  Are you sure it's milk.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovfM7dvFto0

No telling!  I wouldn't assume anything about what was on that lunch tray.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Brandon

Milk is milk and the percentages of milkfat, protein, etc, only vary by grade (skim, 1%, 2%, etc).  Why should the "brand" of milk even matter?

In that, milk is like gasoline.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Scott5114

Quote from: Brandon on October 20, 2017, 02:34:03 PM

Milk is milk and the percentages of milkfat, protein, etc, only vary by grade (skim, 1%, 2%, etc).  Why should the "brand" of milk even matter?

It's really not. Kroger's milk apparently has 8g protein per cup, Braum's (which has its own dairy farm and a fairly unique processing system) is 13g. That's a pretty big difference.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Beltway

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 20, 2017, 02:37:47 PM
Quote from: Brandon on October 20, 2017, 02:34:03 PM
It's really not. Kroger's milk apparently has 8g protein per cup, Braum's (which has its own dairy farm and a fairly unique processing system) is 13g. That's a pretty big difference.

Nevertheless, if milk has the only protein on your lunch tray, you are not getting meaningful amounts of protein.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

formulanone

Quote from: Beltway on October 20, 2017, 01:09:28 PM
Quote from: roadman on October 20, 2017, 12:59:21 PM
School lunch.  Are you sure it's milk.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovfM7dvFto0

No telling!  I wouldn't assume anything about what was on that lunch tray.

Now with Vitamin R!

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.