Worst experience you have ever had with a restaurant and its staff?

Started by index, October 19, 2017, 10:05:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman

Quote from: Takumi on October 22, 2017, 02:51:46 PM
I once told Starbucks I was James May. They didn’t get it.
Back in the days when Radio Shack would insist on asking for your name for even the most minor purchase (like a package of 480 ohm resistors), I used to tell the clerk I was Arlo Guthrie.  Was never questioned, but I wish I'd saved some of those receipts.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

hbelkins

Quote from: formulanone on October 22, 2017, 10:26:44 AM

I used to use fake names for silly purposes, but also think that paying with a credit cared that has my name on it and then telling the clerk I'm "Takehashi", "Gerhard", or "Zbigniew" seems a bit shifty, and a time-wasting aggravation to explain the spelling. When I rented in a gated community, we'd tell the guards a fake name because we found they wouldn't randomly ID someone with an uncommon name, but Michael and Jane would.

One of the tour stops at the recent Columbus meet was the flagship Wendy's. They have the ordering kiosks where you place your order and swipe your card for payment. The name on your card shows up at a screen at the pickup spot. While I doubt anyone looks at the name on your card when you pay for your order at a staffed register (especially since you have most likely swiped the card yourself at a terminal that faces you, if a signature or PIN are required), transferring the name on the card to a pickup window eliminates your ability to tell them your name.

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 22, 2017, 06:06:09 PM
Do you know what time it was at the pizza hut?

Does anybody really know what time it is at Pizza Hut?
Does anybody really care?
If so I can't imagine why
We've all got time enough to cry

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: hbelkins on October 23, 2017, 02:14:19 PM
Quote from: formulanone on October 22, 2017, 10:26:44 AM

I used to use fake names for silly purposes, but also think that paying with a credit cared that has my name on it and then telling the clerk I'm "Takehashi", "Gerhard", or "Zbigniew" seems a bit shifty, and a time-wasting aggravation to explain the spelling. When I rented in a gated community, we'd tell the guards a fake name because we found they wouldn't randomly ID someone with an uncommon name, but Michael and Jane would.

One of the tour stops at the recent Columbus meet was the flagship Wendy's. They have the ordering kiosks where you place your order and swipe your card for payment. The name on your card shows up at a screen at the pickup spot. While I doubt anyone looks at the name on your card when you pay for your order at a staffed register (especially since you have most likely swiped the card yourself at a terminal that faces you, if a signature or PIN are required), transferring the name on the card to a pickup window eliminates your ability to tell them your name.

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 22, 2017, 06:06:09 PM
Do you know what time it was at the pizza hut?

Does anybody really know what time it is at Pizza Hut?
Does anybody really care?
If so I can't imagine why
We've all got time enough to cry
[/quote] Did you just write a poem?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Big John

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 23, 2017, 06:36:52 AM
Some people would ensure that they would get fresh fries by asking for fries with no salt. Sure enough, we always had to make fresh fries for them, but it was generally considered to be a dick move because we had to throw away or set aside the existing, salted fries and be sure to keep that one person's order sequestered from the salted fries, which is more difficult to do than you'd think due to the kitchen not being set up for such a thing. So if getting fresh food is more important to you than not looking like a dick to the staff, then I guess that's an option one could explore.

My boss and his wife (who is also a coworker) simply don't like salt on their fries, so this is how they order them anyway.  They worked in restaurants together for years before starting in this industry, so they're certainly not naive to the ways of the kitchen.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on October 23, 2017, 03:30:41 PM
Some people would ensure that they would get fresh fries by asking for fries with no salt. Sure enough, we always had to make fresh fries for them, but it was generally considered to be a dick move because we had to throw away or set aside the existing, salted fries and be sure to keep that one person's order sequestered from the salted fries, which is more difficult to do than you'd think due to the kitchen not being set up for such a thing. So if getting fresh food is more important to you than not looking like a dick to the staff, then I guess that's an option one could explore.

My boss and his wife (who is also a coworker) simply don't like salt on their fries, so this is how they order them anyway.  They worked in restaurants together for years before starting in this industry, so they're certainly not naive to the ways of the kitchen.
Fries without salt are weirdly shaped potatoes.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kkt

I lowered my salt intake as recommended by my doctor, for blood pressure.  Fries with salt added now taste overwhelming, like eating a salt lick.  Fries are potatoes and should taste like a small crunchy baked potato.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kkt on October 23, 2017, 05:09:29 PM
I lowered my salt intake as recommended by my doctor, for blood pressure.  Fries with salt added now taste overwhelming, like eating a salt lick.  Fries are potatoes and should taste like a small crunchy baked potato.
Try dipping them in ketchup.

kkt

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 23, 2017, 05:10:46 PM

Then they taste like vinegar and sugar with too much salt.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kkt on October 23, 2017, 05:18:25 PM

Then they taste like vinegar and sugar with too much salt.
Mustard?

kkt

Mustard has its own strong flavor.  A little like vinegar, not at all like sugar or salt.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kkt on October 23, 2017, 05:25:43 PM
Mustard has its own strong flavor.  A little like vinegar, not at all like sugar or salt.
You like your food bland right?

kkt

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kkt on October 23, 2017, 05:29:43 PM
Not at all.  Just not overwhelmingly salty.
Some fries, like 5 guys ones are not as salty as others.

hbelkins

To echo what others, have said, some people are under medical orders to reduce their salt intake. In general, run-of-the-mill fries come two ways -- saltier than a salt block like you'd set out for livestock, or no salt whatsoever. And it's not consistent even at the same restaurant. For instance, you can go to the McDonald's or Wendy's in the town where I work one day, and get very salty fries one day, and then go the next day and get fries with no salt whatsoever.

I'm generally someone who will put salt on something I haven't even tasted yet, but I've been told I need to cut down on salt because of my blood pressure. Yet I don't order fries with no salt, but there may be people who do for medical reasons. The kitchen staff needs to take dietary considerations into account instead of automatically assuming someone wants to be a jerk.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

And how, exactly, does dipping something in ketchup reduce the salt content of what's being dipped?  His doctor said to eat less salt, and you're suggesting he instead take salty food and just cover up the taste.  Trolling, or idiocy?
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Brandon

Much agreed.  Far too many place use way, way too much salt.  If I wanted a salt lick, I'd have ordered a salt lick.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on October 24, 2017, 01:38:47 PM

And how, exactly, does dipping something in ketchup reduce the salt content of what's being dipped?  His doctor said to eat less salt, and you're suggesting he instead take salty food and just cover up the taste.  Trolling, or idiocy?
idiocy. I legit did not think about the saltiness of ketchup.

kphoger

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 24, 2017, 02:25:45 PM

That entirely not the point of what I was saying.  The french fry you're dipping has the same amount of salt on it, whether you dip it in ketchup or not.  Dipping it in ketchup is no substitute for ordering fries without salt on them to begin with.

It's like telling someone who's allergic to peanuts to dip their Snickers bar in ketchup.
Male pronouns, please.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on October 24, 2017, 02:55:22 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 24, 2017, 02:25:45 PM

That entirely not the point of what I was saying.  The french fry you're dipping has the same amount of salt on it, whether you dip it in ketchup or not.  Dipping it in ketchup is no substitute for ordering fries without salt on them to begin with.

It's like telling someone who's allergic to peanuts to dip their Snickers bar in ketchup.
I often find that enough ketchup drowns out the taste. But I am looking like a complete fool right now so I will stop.

bandit957

My mom got mad because a clerk at a department store chewed bubble gum.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

kphoger

Quote from: bandit957 on October 24, 2017, 04:51:39 PM

Probably wasn't roads scholaring at the time...
Male pronouns, please.

Roadgeekteen

bandit957

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 24, 2017, 05:10:43 PM
Why?

I asked my mom about it recently, and she said it was "probably because she was blowing bubbles in my face." The incident happened around 1988.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: bandit957 on October 24, 2017, 05:39:01 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 24, 2017, 05:10:43 PM
Why?

I asked my mom about it recently, and she said it was "probably because she was blowing bubbles in my face." The incident happened around 1988.
Why were you at the store with your mom at age 16? I usually stay home when my mom goes out.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.