News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Favorite city skylines

Started by golden eagle, May 25, 2010, 10:06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Flint1979 on November 08, 2017, 04:39:32 AM
I like Chicago's and Detroit's.

Detroit is kind of small but I've always gotten the vibe that I'm about watch a RoboCop movie when I see it.

30801_1356648608856_321190_n by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Flint1979

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 08, 2017, 07:50:08 AM

Detroit is kind of small but I've always gotten the vibe that I'm about watch a RoboCop movie when I see it.

It depends on the vantage point. The best spot to view the Detroit skyline imo is coming NB I-75 over the Rouge River Bridge, you'll see the Ambassador Bridge and then the skyline behind it. Detroit has a pretty unique skyline since it features many art deco skyscrapers that were built mostly in the 1920's like the Penobscot, Guardian, Fisher Buildings and the Book Tower among many others. Even the Comerica Tower building fits in pretty nicely even though that building is less than 30 years old.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Flint1979 on November 08, 2017, 03:30:23 PM

It depends on the vantage point. The best spot to view the Detroit skyline imo is coming NB I-75 over the Rouge River Bridge, you'll see the Ambassador Bridge and then the skyline behind it. Detroit has a pretty unique skyline since it features many art deco skyscrapers that were built mostly in the 1920's like the Penobscot, Guardian, Fisher Buildings and the Book Tower among many others. Even the Comerica Tower building fits in pretty nicely even though that building is less than 30 years old.

I was always partial to Michigan Avenue myself.  It always made coming into a Tigers game feel extra special seeing all those skyscrapers in full view.  At the very least it always felt impressive when I was a kid growing up in the Detroit area. 

Flint1979

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 08, 2017, 05:36:41 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on November 08, 2017, 03:30:23 PM

I was always partial to Michigan Avenue myself.  It always made coming into a Tigers game feel extra special seeing all those skyscrapers in full view.  At the very least it always felt impressive when I was a kid growing up in the Detroit area.
The View coming down Michigan Avenue is quite nice I always like the view from Ford Road and Southfield Freeway if you look straight East you'll see the entire Skyline coming down Grand River is another excellent vantage point.

SAMSUNG-SM-J727A

sparker

When I worked in S.F. very briefly back in 1980, one of my co-workers was married to a Navy JAG officer; they lived in housing on Yerba Buena Island -- and their front porch was directly above (about 150 feet up) the west Bay Bridge tunnel portal on the island.  That was the best view of the San Francisco skyline I ever experienced.  Likewise, the best view of the downtown Seattle skyline was from Duwamish Head at the northernmost point of West Seattle -- courtesy of a friend who used to live in W. Seattle.  Highly recommended!

freebrickproductions

A bit on the small side, but I'm always a bit partial to Huntsville, AL's skyline (probably because I live here, lol). I especially like the way it looks at a distance with all of the buildings nestled between a bunch of trees:
Overlooking the downtown from High Mountain Road on Chapman Mountain:
Huntsville, AL's Skyline by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

And from I-565:
Huntsville, AL's Skyline From I-565 Eastbound by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

Apparently the city has a height limit on buildings due to the presence of limestone caverns underneath the street, though I've also heard the height of the ladders on the ladder trucks as being another reason.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.