News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

California's Lost Coast

Started by Quillz, January 22, 2017, 06:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quillz

Has anyone been to this part of the state? For those who don't now, it refers to the coastline in Mendocino/Humboldt Counties that is not served by any major highway (CA-1 ends south of this area, and US-101 is considerably inland). As a result, this is the only truly undeveloped portion of California's coast remaining.

However, that does make getting there a bit hard. Only local roads exist, and many are narrow, twisty, and unpaved. I'm going to be spending a week up near the Redwoods, and on the way back, was thinking of trying to navigate my way through this area. But I've got a large Jeep, and given the recent storms, am a bit concerned about the quality of the roads.

Anyway, if anyone has ever been to this part of California, be interested in hearing your thoughts on it. Worth a visit? Road quality better than expected?

coatimundi

It's been almost 10 years, but I took the non-numbered coastal route that ends up in Petrolia on the way back from Eureka. The coastline seemed to be mostly cattle ranches and wasn't very spectacular. It seems like it's like most of the rest of Mendocino where it's cliffs and not too many beaches. Petrolia is a bit of an odd place, but I think people there want it to be like that. IIRC, the roads I was on were in good condition but lost their centerline in places.

It would be interesting to get out to Shelter Cove. I think that's the only other section of the Lost Coast accessible by paved road.

Quillz

Did you get any sense of hostility from the locals for being there? Especially someone like me, who might drive in on a SUV, just for the sake of being a tourist, I might get some funny looks.

That said, if it isn't much different than the rest of the Mendocino coast, maybe I'll skip it. I actually prefer the more rugged coastline to beaches, so one of my favorite spots in the state is between Mendocino and Fort Bragg, there are a few places where you can walk along the sea cliffs and just watch the ocean.

coatimundi

I don't recall encountering anyone. The road was pretty quiet. There wasn't much to Petrolia, so I didn't really stop. Just took a few pictures and left. This was before that area was pulled into the Emerald Triangle. I would imagine there's a tremendous amount of suspicion of outsiders due to its isolation, but I doubt that there would be outright hostility simply due to the kind of car you drive. A lot of people in Mendocino drive SUVs and trucks for the poor roads; they're just not usually very new. The older 4-Runners and Land Cruisers seem pretty popular. Driving a new SUV flags you as an urban Californian (likely Southern) to me, but that may just be me. I don't know how they are.

kkt

Not recently enough to be of any help.  Have a great time, and post pictures :)

Max Rockatansky

Who cares if you there legally?  If you have the means and it is something you'll go out with intent to enjoy seeing something new then why not?  Really a lot of people in that part of the state are kind of snobby in that particular way, I would just ignore them if they got a problem.  I'm sure that my little Sonic hasn't been the most welcome vehicle to see sliding down the hill into to town many a time...I guess that I really never cared what anyone thought.

BTW, pictures please!  Sounds like you'll be just fine with the vehicle you're driving, might be a little over kill even.

Quillz

Since I'm coming from the Eureka/Arcata area, it sounds like it will more or less be on the way back home. There is supposedly a local road that goes all the way from Ferndale to Rockport, which would basically connect US-101 to CA-1. So, time and weather being on my side, I'll probably drive through a few of the towns and get some pics.

Quillz

So I'm now up in Arcata for a week. I don't know if the Lost Coast will be accessible after all. The northernmost portion of CA-1, from roughly Westport to the junction with US-101, is closed due to the weather, and that includes the portion near Rockport that contained the Lost Coast connection. From what I've read, the road quality within the Lost Coast isn't the best, so given the winter weather, not sure if I should take a chance, especially since I'll either have to turn around back to Ferndale, or try an overland route from Honeydew to US-101.

Max Rockatansky

That sucks the weather is bad, I was looking forward to hearing about the roads south of Honeydew.  I'll probably make my way up that direction in March again just like last year.  Really even Big Sur has been pretty much inaccessible as through route for the past month and it's holding me up on the Nacimiento-Furgusson Road. 

Quillz

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 05, 2017, 12:00:32 PM
That sucks the weather is bad, I was looking forward to hearing about the roads south of Honeydew.  I'll probably make my way up that direction in March again just like last year.  Really even Big Sur has been pretty much inaccessible as through route for the past month and it's holding me up on the Nacimiento-Furgusson Road. 
I'll certainly give it a try, CA-211 seemed open, and there was an exit on the 101 that led to Honeydew, so there might be a chance. But several portions of CA-1 were closed, portions of CA-299 are closed, there is "winter advisory" on CA-36, so I'm not all that hopeful even this Jeep will do well in the Lost Coast. But if by some miracle I can make it through, I'll get some pics of Petrolia (sp?).

I've actually got an '86 Thomas Bros. state map that shows the proposed CA-1 routing through the Lost Coast, it basically makes use of Mettoel (sp?) Road all the way from CA-211 (which was actually signed in '86) to CA-208 (which was basically the CA-1 routing from Rockport east to the 101 junction). Maybe I can try to retrace that.

AsphaltPlanet

What about if you accessed the Lost Coast from Ferndale and then turned around at Petrolia and headed north again?  Looking at google maps, the only portion of Mattole Road that has any sort of view of the coast is north of Petrolia anyways.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Max Rockatansky

I think you'll be fine on Mattole Road.  Since you are using a Jeep you certainly won't have many issues on an asphalted roadway unless it is completely washed out....BTW is it 4WD or just 2WD?  Besides you can always back track southward down the coast to where CA 1 would have popped out if you don't think the dirt sections are going to be good condition.  Usually you can tell when you're about to bite off more than you can chew and just turn around after a couple miles if you have high clearance or 4WD.  Hopefully you saw all those maps of the proposed CA 1 alignment and CA 211 I posted in the California County Route thread on the Fictional Board.

coatimundi

A continual frustration for me is California's lack of a centralized road closure information system. You'll need to check both Caltrans and any counties you plan on driving through. Humboldt's shows some single lanes, including Mattole Road, but only one outright closure. Obviously that can change quickly though.
http://www.humboldtgov.org/1422/Road-Conditions

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: coatimundi on February 05, 2017, 04:10:04 PM
A continual frustration for me is California's lack of a centralized road closure information system. You'll need to check both Caltrans and any counties you plan on driving through. Humboldt's shows some single lanes, including Mattole Road, but only one outright closure. Obviously that can change quickly though.
http://www.humboldtgov.org/1422/Road-Conditions

Or even the Park Service with roads like 180 through Grant Grove or the Wawona Road north of the terminus for 41.  On occasion the Caltrans Quickmap will display county level closures if the road is significant enough but I've never seen Park Service roads on there.  Not that something like that is an expectation, it just means that there is at least three places you have to check sometimes with the state and county stuff.  Usually I just check the Quickmap and hope for the best on county level roadways....then again the luxury of time isn't something everyone has.

Quillz

I should be spending another week in the Eureka area at the end of September, so my plan is to get down to the Lost Coadt this time around. The weather should be better.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Quillz on August 16, 2017, 01:42:42 PM
I should be spending another week in the Eureka area at the end of September, so my plan is to get down to the Lost Coadt this time around. The weather should be better.

You get rained out I take it?   I ending doing 1 in Big Sur the last couple months in three segments.  Kind of surreal to see 1 with no traffic after taking the Nacimiento-Fergusson Road down to the coast.  The winter sure did a beating pretty much up the entire coast line.

relaxok

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 16, 2017, 01:50:18 PM

You get rained out I take it?   I ending doing 1 in Big Sur the last couple months in three segments.  Kind of surreal to see 1 with no traffic after taking the Nacimiento-Fergusson Road down to the coast.  The winter sure did a beating pretty much up the entire coast line.

Is it worth taking that road someday?  How long to drive from 101 to the coast?

And how harrowing is it?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: relaxok on August 16, 2017, 03:05:01 PM

And how harrowing is it?

Nacimiento-Fergusson is totally worth taking, have a look at the topic below:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=20497.0

Pretty much I broke down every face of the roadway that you'll be able to get an idea what you're in for...pretty sure I listed my travel times also.  Going down is much more of a rush given you are essentially looking straight down but the roadway is wide enough in almost every spot to allow two cars to pass each other.  I would kind of rate it up there with a CA 4 over Ebbetts Pass but nothing nuts like Kaiser Pass Road, Mineral King Road, or Blackrock Road.  If you want Big Sur in the most unique way you'll ever see it get out to the Nacimiento-Fergusson Road before the Pfeiffer Canyon bridge opens in October.  Shoot me a PM if you got any questions about how to get there or what to expect.

bigdave

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 05, 2017, 02:02:34 PM
I think you'll be fine on Mattole Road.  Since you are using a Jeep you certainly won't have many issues on an asphalted roadway unless it is completely washed out....BTW is it 4WD or just 2WD?  Besides you can always back track southward down the coast to where CA 1 would have popped out if you don't think the dirt sections are going to be good condition.  Usually you can tell when you're about to bite off more than you can chew and just turn around after a couple miles if you have high clearance or 4WD.  Hopefully you saw all those maps of the proposed CA 1 alignment and CA 211 I posted in the California County Route thread on the Fictional Board.
I drove the Mattole Road last summer in a BMW no less and it was fine. The road on the Redwoods State Park end has horrible pavement, and lots of turns and steepish grades. But it was fine.

I think the best part was between Ferndale and Petrolia as far as scenery, so if I were to do it again I would just drive that part.

bigdave

Quote from: bigdave on August 16, 2017, 03:48:04 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 05, 2017, 02:02:34 PM
I drove the Mattole Road last summer in a BMW no less and it was fine. The road on the Redwoods State Park end has horrible pavement, and lots of turns and steepish grades. But it was fine.

I think the best part was between Ferndale and Petrolia as far as scenery, so if I were to do it again I would just drive that part.

Gotta like how Humboldt County updates their road conditions maybe a couple of times per year, last update 3/29/2017.

Quillz

I didn't actually get the chance to visit the Lost Coast, although I don't actually know if it was rained out or not. However, given the access point I was planning to take off CA-1 was closed (due to CA-1 being closed between CA-20 and US-101) and that US-101 had several rained-out portions near Crescent City, it probably wasn't worth taking a chance. Outside of the Big Sur segment which is still closed, I believe the remainder of CA-1 is now open, so getting to the Lost Coast should be much more feasible this time.

Quillz

Quote from: relaxok on August 16, 2017, 03:05:01 PM

And how harrowing is it?
I took the Carmel County Highway (I forget the actual name) which eventually turns into Arroyo Seco Road and hits US-101. That was a pretty harrowing drive, extremely narrow with rocks covering several portions of the road, and no striping. But it was also quite beautiful, traversing the Santa Lucia Range. I figure if I can get through that road, anything's possible. With that in mind, I'd like to take this Fergusson-Nacimiento Road myself. Perhaps on the way back, I can take a detour through Monterey.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.