News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

What's your weather currently?

Started by Desert Man, February 03, 2016, 12:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce

MNHighwayMan

It's been constantly hazy here for the last several days. It's most noticeable at sunrise and sunset, where the sky looks darker than usual, but it's nowhere near as bad as that.

Bruce

Air quality index is surging into the 300s for a lot of outlying areas, and parts of the metro area are now in the high 200s. This means long-term health risks.

webny99

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on August 20, 2018, 01:05:03 AM
It's been constantly hazy here for the last several days. It's most noticeable at sunrise and sunset, where the sky looks darker than usual, but it's nowhere near as bad as that.

Same here. It's weird to be able to stare directly at the sun when it's still a couple hours from sunset.

Hurricane Rex

Smoke starting to clear for Portland. Still bad though.

LG-TP260

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on August 20, 2018, 10:40:21 PM
Air quality index is surging into the 300s for a lot of outlying areas, and parts of the metro area are now in the high 200s. This means long-term health risks.

Absolutely crazy. I was able to escape to DC to see my mother for a couple weeks right as this second wave hit. My grandparents are normally workaholics during the day, but due to their age, they've been advised by more than a few people to just not go outside. Even our dogs have to stay inside, except to potty.

Glad that it's improving today through tomorrow.

ET21

Some showers should help to clear the air around Seattle today with an approaching system
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

bing101

Quote from: Bruce on August 19, 2018, 10:47:34 PM
Very thick wildfire smoke wafting in from British Columbia once again. Things are bad.

[tweet]1031339624105267200[/tweet]

[tweet]1031354397358346241[/tweet]

Dang Crazy to think that wildfire smoke can happen in other places besides California.

jakeroot

Quote from: bing101 on August 23, 2018, 09:04:33 PM
Dang Crazy to think that wildfire smoke can happen in other places besides California.

Virtually all of the Puget Sound's smoke comes from British Columbia. For the nth-Summer in a row, BC is being ravaged by wildfires. When the winds shift to northerly (from the north), the smoke gets blown down from the Fraser Valley, and straight into Seattle. The Seattle-area can get smoke from other places, but IIRC, BC is the primary culprit.

webny99

Finally some pleasant weather in the past few days: less heat, less humidity, and more breezes, all without sacrificing the sunshine.  :thumbsup:

Bruce

The areas east of the Cascade Mountains are as dry as Southern California, and have the same old-growth forests to boot. It's perfect tinder for major wildfires.

Anyway, we're now under overcast skies instead of smoke (finally!), but the smoke is being pushed back in over the weekend.

oscar

Quote from: jakeroot on August 23, 2018, 11:54:56 PM
Quote from: bing101 on August 23, 2018, 09:04:33 PM

Virtually all of the Puget Sound's smoke comes from British Columbia. For the nth-Summer in a row, BC is being ravaged by wildfires. When the winds shift to northerly (from the north), the smoke gets blown down from the Fraser Valley, and straight into Seattle. The Seattle-area can get smoke from other places, but IIRC, BC is the primary culprit.

AB is getting a lot of BC's smoke, and it seems to be also drifting east into SK and MB. Those places sometimes have their own wildfire problems, as does NT. Fires in NT and SK have messed up my travel plans in past years, and fires in northern AB have come close to doing so.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Bruce

Hurricane Rex

Third day of rain in like forever in Sherwood.

LG-TP260

Running till I die.

Max Rockatansky

Apparently Fresno is dropping into the 50s FINALLY tonight, the wind speed tells me the front is changing.

ET21

Thanks to Florence, I'm under a ridge of high pressure. Dry since Sunday and probably dry until Monday or Tuesday. Gorgeous late summer weather

Clinched:

Eth

Quote from: ET21 on September 13, 2018, 09:54:02 AM
Thanks to Florence, I'm under a ridge of high pressure. Dry since Sunday and probably dry until Monday or Tuesday. Gorgeous late summer weather

We're also feeling those pre-effects here in Atlanta, as the rain chance drops for the next couple days. Near 90 today, with a sunny weekend and temperatures in the low-to-mid-90s for the next couple days ("normal" highs should ordinarily be subsiding into the mid-80s by now). A weakening Florence will probably bring a small amount of rain here (maybe an inch or two at most) by about Sunday or Monday.

english si

Windy!

Today has seen two windstorms here. Ali on its way to the North Sea and Bronagh on its way from the Atlantic. I've avoided the worst of it due to living relatively inland, and in the South - I don't think we've reached formal gales here (though a tree did fall down on the railway between here and London this evening, causing a great mess with people's commutes home - but that was probably a gust, rather than sustained winds), but we've had near-gale force winds for large chunks of the last 60 hours.

Tuesday saw the remnants of Hurricane Helene (downgraded from storm status as it crossed the county).
Wednesday Ali hit and it wasn't gone fully by this morning.
Today Bronagh was named and is currently pelting Ireland and the North with rain, and blowing strong here. It is going to be at its worst tomorrow.

Helene (we don't give new names if they already have one) might have faded away after reaching land, but Ali and Bronagh have become Storms just hours before landfall and have got stronger as they crossed Britain and Ireland.

The list of names only came out on the 11th, and - since we started naming them (OK, not very long ago) we've only had one other September storm. We had only 5 days without one, and then - like buses - three came along all literally one-after-the-other with little-to-no gap between them.

Hurricane Rex

On a 2 week dry streak right now, as we are supposed to be getting wetter.

LG-TP260

Running till I die.

adventurernumber1

We have finally been getting a lot of nice, cool, fall weather here in Dalton, Georgia. The autumn air has got to be one of my favorite times to be outside.  :thumbsup:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

7/8

Yesterday was the first snow of the season. It hasn't amounted to much, but it was enough to make the lawns look white this morning. It sounds like the temperature will be staying around 0°C this week and we might get some more snow on Tuesday. Maybe it's time to get my snow tires on :)

Eth

We saw our first freeze of the season this morning with temperatures falling to 31. A mostly sunny day will lift us comfortably into the mid-50s, though.

Tomorrow, however, looks like an utter nightmare. Heavy rain all day with temperatures holding in the 40s. Tuesday through Thursday don't look much better, either.

jakeroot

Quote from: Eth on November 11, 2018, 08:39:34 AM
We saw our first freeze of the season this morning with temperatures falling to 31. A mostly sunny day will lift us comfortably into the mid-50s, though.

Sounds like our weather up here. Finally started dropping below 32 a few days in the last week, but only because it's been clear. Highs have been in the mid-50s. Definitely not as warm as last November (according to my posts on this thread).

Tonight and tomorrow night also dropping below 32, before a rain system moves through and drops the lows into the mid-40s. Then it dries out again for about five or six days, and then a much larger showery system settles in with highs in the low-50s/upper-40s and lows in the upper-30s. Classic northwest fall weather!

hotdogPi

I believe it's rained 7 or 8 out of the last 10 Tuesdays here.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

ET21

Nasty ice storm for the Ohio Valley today

Clinched:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.