News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Franklin Mint

Started by bandit957, August 22, 2019, 11:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Anyone else remember the Franklin Mint? Back in the mid-'80s, they constantly ran lengthy TV ads for various collectibles. One of them was for coins from around the world. One was for the Civil War Chess Set, a chess set with blue and gray squares whose pieces represented Civil War military leaders. Another was for the Little Maids of the Thirteen Colonies, a set of porcelain dolls. I think the Franklin Mint also had the Woodland Surprises. I don't even remember what that was.

Was the Franklin Mint really a mint? I don't think they actually made coins. They might have made some collectible medallions or something, but not coins that were legal tender anywhere.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

PHLBOS

Short answer; yes, the Franklin Mint indeed made coins... see below.

Quote from: Wiki Account, The Franklin Mint History SectionFor five decades The Franklin Mint produced and mass marketed "collectibles". Its product line began with manufacturing and marketing privately minted gold and silver commemorative rounds and medallions.

In the 1970s and 1980s, Franklin Mint expanded operations to legal-tender coins, producing a combination of bullion and non-bullion proof and uncirculated coin sets of both small and large denominations for a number of countries, particularly Panama and various island states. One of its best numismatic sellers was the "Coin Sets of all Nations" series which included stamps and post marks of the respective nation on each set.

Besides coins, other offerings included dolls, plates, knives, LP record sets and die-cast vehicles. Often emphasized in these media were influential historical figures or famous actors. Wildlife scenes were also a common feature. Many of these items were sold through magazine and television advertisement over the years.
Wiki Account of The Franklin Mint

Back in 2000, I had the opportunity to tour the Franklin Mint Museum along US 1 in PA.  It just so happened, that the Mint Museum's special presentation at the time was all things (US) Route 66.  The place was about 10 miles from where I reside.  At the time, I was somewhat surprised if not saddened when the museum closed circa 2004.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Hot Rod Hootenanny

We can now request Dan & Ian to stop by the remains of the Franklin Mint on their video tour of Southern Delaware County, Pa, on Saturday.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

SP Cook

It depends on how you look at it.  Strictly speaking, a "mint" is a place that makes "coins" and "coins" are legal money.  What the Franklin Mint made was collectable "medalions" with no government backing.   Along with other "collectables".  But there is no law saying you cannot call a place a "mint" if you want to, so there you go.

While this outfit is apparently slowing down, there are many dozens of similar hucksters who sell medalions; foreign stamps, coins, and bills; and cheap brick-a-brack for many times their actual value, under the guise that they are "collectible". 

Sadly, the actual US Mint and BPE have a contract with a private huckster that sells various actual US coins and bills as "collectables" vastly overstating both their current value among those in the hobby and their potential for appreciation .

jeffandnicole

Anything can be a collectible.

Example: Route Clinching.

Example: County Clinching.

Value...nothing, or priceless

cjk374

I think I saw a commercial for them just recently.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.