News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

$50000 for a brand new car- what are you getting?

Started by ozarkman417, August 24, 2019, 10:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozarkman417

In this forum game, you have 50 grand to spend on a brand new car of your choice. However, you must account for trims, add-ons, destination fee, and so on. Many vehicle manufacturers have a "build & price" tool that you can use and it allows you to add just about everything that they have to offer for your vehicle and gives you an MSRP total.

Here is the one I did: An Acura RDX with the top trim, the advance package.
https://www.acura.com/build-price/rdx?modelyear=2020&modelId=TC2H7LKNW&modelYear=2020&exterior=YR-632M&interior=PA&wheel=64BDD013B55846B68F15D282C2CE1030&accessories=RDX0020207%2CRDX0020208

if there is a way to shorten urls on this forum, don't hesitate to message me.

Max Rockatansky

A Hugger Orange Camaro 1SS with a manual transmission and blue stripes which apparently comes out to an MSRP of about 41K.  Personally I rather just find a 5th Generation SS Camaro in Synergy Green.  I would spend the money saved on some power and handling upgrades.  It would be nice to have a Camaro to go with my Challenger, strange how I miss my 2010 SS.

tolbs17

If my parents were to get a brand new car for over $50,000, it would be a BMW X5, Volvo S90 or Range Rover.

Henry

Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

dlsterner

I'd be tempted to see if I could get a Tesla Model 3 at that price point.  I was able to price one out with a few nice options at $48,990 - leaving $1,010 under the limit.

In the spirit of the original post, I would also feel that I would have to include the home charging station and the necessary cables in the $50,000 budget, which should just about fit under the limit.

Thing 342

I would get ... my current car, a blue Audi A5 Sportback with the adaptive cruise control package. (Which I purchased used for $43K in April)

If forced to buy something else, I'd probably look at a Volvo V60 T6, a Model 3, or a Buick Regal TourX.

nexus73

One of three: Ford Ranger Lariat 4WD with all the options and a body color-matching canopy.  Ford Flex Limited with all the options.  Lincoln Continental that comes in at $50K or less, which means no Black Label edition. 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Chris

Quote from: Henry on August 24, 2019, 11:30:21 PM
I did a 2019 Cadillac CTS RWD with the 2.0L Turbo Engine (base MSRP: $46,995)

This is what a Cadillac cost in the Netherlands due to the CO2 tax (add a good 10% to convert to USD).

JREwing78

A black 4-door Wrangler Rubicon with a body-color hardtop, 3.6L V6 and 6-speed manual.

1995hoo

Question before I respond: Do we have to spend the full $50,000 (or as close to that amount as reasonably possible)? I can think of a number of cars I'd consider for which I'm not necessarily sure which trim line I'd prefer, and that makes a difference in the price. Just to give one example, the Genesis G70 is one I find interesting but as to which I'd have a difficult time deciding whether I'd prefer the AWD model with the V-6 (the downside of which, in my view, is that it's automatic-only) or the model with the manual transmission (which means no AWD and, if I'm not mistaken, the inline-4). I really like the AWD in my wife's TLX, but I also miss my six-speed manual when I drive it.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

PHLBOS

Choices:

Any Dodge Challenger that's not a Hellcat model.
Ford Flex
Chrysler 300 C
Crew Cab variants of the Ford F-150, Chevy Silverado or Ram 1500
GPS does NOT equal GOD

ozarkman417

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 27, 2019, 12:13:50 PM
Question before I respond: Do we have to spend the full $50,000 (or as close to that amount as reasonably possible)? I can think of a number of cars I'd consider for which I'm not necessarily sure which trim line I'd prefer, and that makes a difference in the price. Just to give one example, the Genesis G70 is one I find interesting but as to which I'd have a difficult time deciding whether I'd prefer the AWD model with the V-6 (the downside of which, in my view, is that it's automatic-only) or the model with the manual transmission (which means no AWD and, if I'm not mistaken, the inline-4). I really like the AWD in my wife's TLX, but I also miss my six-speed manual when I drive it.

It would be almost impossible to spend exactly 50k, just don't go over the limit. As I said before, trims, add-ons, AWD, etc count towards the limit. Bottom line: Don't go over 50,000.

Paulinator66

If we have to buy a car I'd probably get a new Mustang GT Convertible. If I'm allowed to consider a truck then I'm digging the new Ram. . .and they are now the #2 best selling truck in America. Chevy is now #3

https://autoweek.com/gallery/car-reviews/gallery-2019-ram-1500-laramie-longhorn-interior

ozarkman417

Quote from: Paulinator66 on August 27, 2019, 02:45:33 PM
If we have to buy a car I'd probably get a new Mustang GT Convertible. If I'm allowed to consider a truck then I'm digging the new Ram. . .and they are now the #2 best selling truck in America. Chevy is now #3

https://autoweek.com/gallery/car-reviews/gallery-2019-ram-1500-laramie-longhorn-interior

By "car" I simply mean any motor vehicle you can legally drive on public roads (cars, SUVs, trucks, motorcycles, etc)

renegade

Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

MikieTimT

Probably a 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab Long Box 4-Wheel Drive Work Truck for $42114 with the Duramax diesel, pay sales tax on it, get a spray bedliner, diamond plate running boards, window tinting, and a 5th wheel hitch with the remainder.  And maybe a Donald Trump bobblehead installed as a hood ornament.  Probably wouldn't remain on the hood for long, though.

ozarkman417

Quote from: MikieTimT on September 10, 2019, 10:57:33 PM
And maybe a Donald Trump bobblehead installed as a hood ornament.  Probably wouldn't remain on the hood for long, though.
I think you will be OK in Arkansas and it's surrounding states. Just don't go to the Northeast or the Pacific Coast with it.

MikieTimT

Quote from: ozarkman417 on September 10, 2019, 11:03:15 PM
Quote from: MikieTimT on September 10, 2019, 10:57:33 PM
And maybe a Donald Trump bobblehead installed as a hood ornament.  Probably wouldn't remain on the hood for long, though.
I think you will be OK in Arkansas and it's surrounding states. Just don't go to the Northeast or the Pacific Coast with it.

I'm not saying I voted for Trump (in fact I didn't).  I just think it would be entertaining to see how fast his head would bobble in 75MPH wind.  Or if his hair would stay in place at that speed.

tolbs17

If I got a brand new car for myself (which probably won't happen until i make that kind of money, $50,000.) Probably a Toyota Avalon Limited or Honda Accord Touring or even Acura MDX Advance. Top of the line!

crt08

I would have said a GMC Tahoe or Ford Expedition, but they came a bit over that for a mid level trim. So probably a Ford Explorer Limited.

But if I had a $50,000 to spend I'd just put it into a down payment for a house, since I already have a car I like.  :-D

corco

Probably a new loaded (as much as possible) crew cab, 4WD manual transmission Tacoma to complement my VW Golf. Maybe the new Bronco instead of it ends up with an available stick as rumors suggest it might.

I wouldn't actually spend fifty large on a vehicle though unless I were loaded

Beltway

I see that Haley Buick GMC, Midlothian Turnpike, Richmond, VA, has this on their website

New 2020 Buick Enclave
Premium FWD
MSRP $55,850
Sale Price $49,707
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

cpzilliacus

Quote from: corco on December 31, 2019, 06:09:03 PM
Probably a new loaded (as much as possible) crew cab, 4WD manual transmission Tacoma to complement my VW Golf. Maybe the new Bronco instead of it ends up with an available stick as rumors suggest it might.

I wouldn't actually spend fifty large on a vehicle though unless I were loaded

I had a 1990 Bronco that had the great 4.9 I-6 engine (lots of power and easy on fuel) and a five-speed manual transmission.  Got better than 300,000 miles with regular maintenance, but loaned it long-term to a relative who did not care for it and that was the end of that.

Were FoMoCo to offer a new Ford Bronco with a manual transmission, I might be interested in same.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

yand

I make videos for Full Length Interstates. FullLengthInterstates.com redirects to my channel at youtube.com/FullLengthInterstates

Max Rockatansky

I wouldn't mind 50k towards a new Corvette and paying the rest out of pocket.  That MSRP under 60k for a base C8 looks mighty tempting. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.