News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

How wide does the St Lawrence River Get.

Started by roadman65, March 11, 2021, 11:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/S7wcA6X5Gdj136tR8

I see in this GSV image, the River looks like a bay or ocean.

I looked up information for it and couldn't find it on Google. Their map scale seems to indicate that the mouth of the River is more than 50 miles making it as wide as Lake Superior.

The image is no where close to its mouth, yet the land on the other side here is below the horizon.  I think it's about 30 miles across.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

webny99

This is where Google's "measure distance" tool comes in handy. I measured from Cloridorme, QC to Rivière-Saint-Jean, QC and came up with 79.5 miles. That's about as far east as you can go before you hit first Anticosti Island and then the Gulf of St. Lawrence, so 80 miles is a fairly reasonable answer.

That is wider than some parts of Lake Superior, but certainly not at its widest point; for comparison, Marquette, MI to Neys, ON is roughly double that at 158.2 miles.

Scott5114

At some point it comes down to semantics. You could call everything downstream of ÃŽle d'Orléans a really long gulf or bay, especially if the water is brackish and tidal. For what it's worth, the road name on the GSV link translates to "Route of the Sea"–sea is such an open-ended term that it might work.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hotdogPi

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 11, 2021, 11:54:58 PM
At some point it comes down to semantics. You could call everything downstream of ÃŽle d'Orléans a really long gulf or bay, especially if the water is brackish and tidal. For what it's worth, the road name on the GSV link translates to "Route of the Sea"–sea is such an open-ended term that it might work.

At some point, it stops flowing in one direction only. This is where the mouth is.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Rothman

Quote from: 1 on March 12, 2021, 06:42:25 AM

At some point, it stops flowing in one direction only. This is where the mouth is.
So much for the Hudson River, which is affected by the tides all the way up to Troy (American Indians called the Hudson "The River that Flows Two Ways").  No one would consider the mouth of the Hudson at Troy (where the dual flow is actually only stopped by the man-made dam).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

vdeane

That is indeed where the water become brackish.  There are also tides at least that far west.  Like the Hudson, I don't think anyone would say the river is no longer a river that far west just because of tides.

Quote from: webny99 on March 11, 2021, 11:41:33 PM
This is where Google's "measure distance" tool comes in handy. I measured from Cloridorme, QC to Rivière-Saint-Jean, QC and came up with 79.5 miles. That's about as far east as you can go before you hit first Anticosti Island and then the Gulf of St. Lawrence, so 80 miles is a fairly reasonable answer.

That is wider than some parts of Lake Superior, but certainly not at its widest point; for comparison, Marquette, MI to Neys, ON is roughly double that at 158.2 miles.
Also wider than all parts of Lakes Erie and Ontario.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

GaryV

According to Wikipedia, the river ends at the eastern tip of ÃŽle d'Orléans, near Quebec City.  It is tidal up to Quebec City.

But the Wikipedia article on the Gulf of St Lawrence says it starts at Anticosti Island, several hundred miles downstream.

If the section between the islands isn't the river and isn't the gulf, what is it?

kphoger

Quote from: GaryV on March 12, 2021, 01:29:52 PM
According to Wikipedia, the river ends at the eastern tip of ÃŽle d'Orléans, near Quebec City.  It is tidal up to Quebec City.

But the Wikipedia article on the Gulf of St Lawrence says it starts at Anticosti Island, several hundred miles downstream.

If the section between the islands isn't the river and isn't the gulf, what is it?

Wikipedia's source for the Gulf of St Lawrence boundary is the International Hydrographic Organization's 1953 Limits of Oceans and Seas, and I verified that the wording matches exactly.  Its source for the St Lawrence River is this book.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

vdeane

Quote from: GaryV on March 12, 2021, 01:29:52 PM

If you think of estuaries as distinct from rivers, it's that (though the boundaries don't quite line up with the other articles; maybe they're using different sources?).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estuary_of_Saint_Lawrence
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.