Question about Motel\Hotel room TV's & channel lineups

Started by Route66Fan, March 28, 2021, 07:06:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Route66Fan

Years ago, when I used to go on road trips with my family, I would usually go through the channel lineups on the TV in the rooms that we would be staying in & if I saw that the TV was skipping some channels, I would go into the TV's menu & do a channel scan to see if there were any channels that were not programmed in. One time that I did this, at a motel in Astoria, OR back in 2004, I found that the TV in the room we were staying in had Toon Disney blocked out. I am wondering if anybody else has tried this & what did you all find?

bandit957

I remember hotels never had MTV back during its mid-'80s heyday. Hotels never got MTV until later when nobody watched MTV anymore.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

kphoger

Slightly different, but has anyone traveled with their universal remote and just paired it to the hotel TV?  That way, you already know where all the buttons are.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

Never done any of the above, but I always liked it that the Hampton Inn off Daniels Parkway in Fort Myers had DirecTV as the TV provider because it meant that all the channel numbers were the same as they were at home (until we dropped DirecTV in March 2020, that is).

Now that we stream our TV content, I have occasionally thought about bringing an Amazon Fire Stick and its remote to use when we travel, though so far we've only taken one trip of more than a single night since March 2020 (due to the pandemic) and the TV issue was not uppermost in my mind (the trip was for a funeral).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on March 30, 2021, 10:52:46 AM
Slightly different, but has anyone traveled with their universal remote and just paired it to the hotel TV?  That way, you already know where all the buttons are.

My old cell phone used to have a remote app that used an IR sensor.  I used that on hotel TVs a couple of times.

Chris

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Route66Fan on March 28, 2021, 07:06:50 AM
Years ago, when I used to go on road trips with my family, I would usually go through the channel lineups on the TV in the rooms that we would be staying in & if I saw that the TV was skipping some channels, I would go into the TV's menu & do a channel scan to see if there were any channels that were not programmed in. I am wondering if anybody else has tried this & what did you all find?

I've rescanned hotel TV's a few times. One time, doing so tripled the number of channels because of the way their cable provider handled the over-the-air local channels.

Another time, I got dozens of blank channels because that was in the early DTV days and sometimes TVs hooked up to cable would botch the scan for those channels.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.