News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Does the definition of a town verses city matter in population?

Started by roadman65, May 04, 2021, 10:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I noticed that some states that define a city, town, village, or township, seem to not treat them the same in statistical documents.  Even someone on here said one town on Long Island can't be ranked in the City population statistics or that municipality would be larger than another city nearby.

Also from what I gather, in NJ Edison Township would be the fourth largest city in NJ if were chartered as a city instead of township.  Also if Woodbridge were a city it would be the next population center after Newark and Jersey City.  However, Paterson is ranked number three in population as it's the next city incorporated that ranks after not in overall municipality.

What difference does the type of government of a municipality make to make it in city ranking? Shouldn't a township be the same in data statistics for gathering and all municipalities be considered a city?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hotdogPi

For New England, I would definitely say it should be included in statistics.

For New York, the issue is double counting – villages are considered more important than towns, and villages are counted separately.

(edited to clarify)
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Brandon

In Illinois, the size doesn't matter so much as the type of government.  We have villages that are the largest in the world such as the Village of Arlington Heights.  A township in Illinois is different than a town (i.e., Town of Normal), but no towns have been incorporated since the 1870s or so.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Roadgeekteen

In my opinion no. Biggest "city" lists should treat all municipalities equally.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

webny99

Quote from: 1 on May 04, 2021, 10:41:29 AM
For New York, the issue is double counting – villages are considered more important than towns, and villages are counted separately.

(edited to clarify)

Villages have a separate population figure, but the village count is included in the respective town population. For example:

The village of Hilton, NY had a 2010 population of 5,886.
The village is within the Town of Parma, which had a 2010 population of 15,633.

The town figure includes the village figure, and the village is still part of the town, so it would not be accurate to say the actual population of Parma is 9,747. Nor would it be accurate to add and say the population is 21,519, since 15,633 is the total.

I think it would be much simpler if every state did things the way NY does and incorporated every square inch of their state... but I do understand that things are different, especially in the South and West.

JayhawkCO

Growing up in the Midwest and West, I don't care about the different definitions.  Town and city are synonyms for me.

Chris

TheHighwayMan3561

Minnesota only uses cities for incorporated entities. I'll say "going into town"  as a colloquialism or refer to a small city as a "town" .
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: roadman65 on May 04, 2021, 10:31:42 AM
I noticed that some states that define a city, town, village, or township, seem to not treat them the same in statistical documents.  Even someone on here said one town on Long Island can't be ranked in the City population statistics or that municipality would be larger than another city nearby.

The Town of Hempstead has over 750,000 people, and would be the 2nd largest city in NY after NYC if it were a city. It contains 22 villages and 37 hamlets. 

As for CT, it's all about how a municipality incorporates. All but one city is consolidated with a town by the same name (Groton being the only exception, which is why you see the control of "Groton City" for the CT 349 exit off of I-95).  It really has nothing to do with population size.  The Cities of Ansonia and Derby have only about 19,000 and 12,000, respectively.  Meanwhile, the Towns of West Hartford and Hamden both have over 60,000.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

1995hoo

It depends on how many verses you choose to sing on a particular day.

:bigass:
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

NWI_Irish96

The biggest problem is that the terms city, town, village, and township mean different things in different states.

In Indiana, all incorporated places are either cities or towns. You must have a population > 20,000 to switch from town to city, but you don't have to. Cities < 20,000 when the rule was put in place have been grandfathered in.

Townships are subdivisions of counties, that include both incorporated and unincorporated areas within its boundaries. So someone who lives inside the boundaries of a city or town live in that city and town and also in a township. As structured in Indiana, townships are pretty worthless entities and should just go away, but that's a separate discussion.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

dkblake

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 04, 2021, 12:34:44 PM
The biggest problem is that the terms city, town, village, and township mean different things in different states.

In Indiana, all incorporated places are either cities or towns. You must have a population > 20,000 to switch from town to city, but you don't have to. Cities < 20,000 when the rule was put in place have been grandfathered in.

Townships are subdivisions of counties, that include both incorporated and unincorporated areas within its boundaries. So someone who lives inside the boundaries of a city or town live in that city and town and also in a township. As structured in Indiana, townships are pretty worthless entities and should just go away, but that's a separate discussion.

North Dakota has 357 cities, over five times as many cities as New York, since every incorporated place is a city.
2dis clinched: 8, 17, 69(original), 71, 72, 78, 81, 84(E), 86(E), 88(E), 89, 91, 93, 97

Mob-rule: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/dblake.gif

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

GaryV

Michigan has counties, cities, townships and villages.  They provide varying services.  Cities can and do straddle county lines, and maybe villages can as well.

Cities typically have the most services, and the most taxes.  Police, fire, garbage, roads, parks, etc. Some cities may contract out for services - for example, Pontiac is patrolled by Oakland County Sheriff officers.  Cities are incorporated from all or portions of a township.

Townships were originally set by the old Northwest Territory surveys.  They were 6 mile squares.  Sometimes more than one survey township is combined into a township government, and one or two are split, such as Plymouth and Canton.  A subset of townships are charter townships.  The primary benefits are that charter townships can vote to levy higher taxes and cannot be annexed into a city.  Townships are grouped into counties.  Almost all township and county lines are straight, on survey lines, with a few exceptions where the borders follow a river or lake.

City and township clerks oversee elections and are responsible for voter registration (although much of the function of registration is handled by the Secretary of State).

Villages are incorporated areas within a township, offering a few additional services.  Some have a police force, while townships use the county sheriff.  Villages remain part of the township; cities are independent of the township.

JayhawkCO

kphoger

I personally don't pay much attention to each state's legal definition.  Here's the way my mind works:

City – A big place with lots of stuff.  The kind of place people from surrounding communities travel to for shopping and entertainment and stuff.  A rough dividing line would be somewhere between 100k and 200k population.

Town – Anything smaller than a city that still has some sort of business economy.  A very rough dividing line for "small town" would be somewhere around 5k population.

Village – I rarely but occasionally use this term in reference to anything in the USA, but I do use it in the context of my travels to Mexico.  Generally, it means a small town that isn't incorporated.  I realize this definition would likely get wonky in some other parts of the country but, because I rarely use it, I don't really care.

Community – This could be similar to a village, except without much of an identity unto itself–like a more distinct version of a neighborhood.  These are places that likely don't even have a road sign telling you you're there, but they do have a name.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on May 04, 2021, 02:08:28 PM
Community – This could be similar to a village, except without much of an identity unto itself–like a more distinct version of a neighborhood.  These are places that likely don't even have a road sign telling you you're there, but they do have a name.

In New York we call that a hamlet.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

1995hoo

Quote from: webny99 on May 04, 2021, 03:00:34 PM
Quote from: kphoger on May 04, 2021, 02:08:28 PM

In New York we call that a hamlet.

You're underscoring kphoger's point. It could be similar to a village, or it could not be.

:bigass:

CoreySamson

I think the city/town/village/hamlet/municipality/whatever debate is really silly, and I don't think it matters much.

For example, Wikipedia says this is a city, and this, a few miles down the road, is just a CDP whilst having more than 4 times the population of the former. Meanwhile, this town has less than half of the first place's population.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

1995hoo

Quote from: CoreySamson on May 04, 2021, 03:15:55 PM
I think the city/town/village/hamlet/municipality/whatever debate is really silly, and I don't think it matters much.

For example, Wikipedia says this is a city, and this, a few miles down the road, is just a CDP whilst having more than 4 times the population of the former. Meanwhile, this town has less than half of the first place's population.

Then you have Clifton Forge, Virginia, which used to be an independent city but gave up that status in 2001 and reverted to being a town. Population 3,884, BTW. (Bedford and South Boston are two others that likewise reverted to town status.)

Dirt Roads

When I lived in Southwest Pennsylvania, Fayette County lost one of its cities (Connellsville) due to population loss, and lost the other one (Uniontown) not too long afterwards.  Both became boroughs for a while, but it looks like they [kinda] got their city statuses back.  The new system technically has four classes of cities:  Class 1 (Philly), Class 2 (de Burgh), Class 2A (Scranton), and Class 3 (everybody else that technically doesn't qualify as a traditional city anymore).

US 89

Quote from: jayhawkco on May 04, 2021, 11:43:47 AM
Growing up in the Midwest and West, I don't care about the different definitions.  Town and city are synonyms for me.

Same for me. In Utah, the only difference between a town and a city is population - with a few exceptions, cities have over 1000 people and towns do not. State law divides cities into five classes, and a town really could just as easily be called a 6th-class city.

There are also metro townships, which are a third type of incorporated municipality that don't have as much taxing power and are generally dependent on counties for a lot of services.

Angelo71

Quote from: Dirt Roads on May 04, 2021, 03:54:09 PM
When I lived in Southwest Pennsylvania, Fayette County lost one of its cities (Connellsville) due to population loss, and lost the other one (Uniontown) not too long afterwards.  Both became boroughs for a while, but it looks like they [kinda] got their city statuses back.  The new system technically has four classes of cities:  Class 1 (Philly), Class 2 (de Burgh), Class 2A (Scranton), and Class 3 (everybody else that technically doesn't qualify as a traditional city anymore).
Good job! You escaped disgusting southwest Pittsburgh. Also, you forgot about Erie.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Angelo71 on May 04, 2021, 03:57:36 PM
Quote from: Dirt Roads on May 04, 2021, 03:54:09 PM
Good job! You escaped disgusting southwest Pittsburgh. Also, you forgot about Erie.
Not again...
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Angelo71 on May 04, 2021, 03:57:36 PM
Also, you forgot about Erie.

Sorry, even Erie didn't make the cut.  They are considered a Third Class city as well.  I think this has more to do with the form of government than the type of urban environment.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.