News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Freeways that were formerly signed Interstates but now are not in the system?

Started by TheStranger, October 13, 2011, 07:38:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapmikey

FREEWAY PLANNED AS INTERSTATE, BUILT AS FREEWAY UNDER ANOTHER DESIGNATION OR AS A DIFFERENT TYPE OF ROAD

NY 17 was going to be requested as I-92.  See the 1974 AAASHO application to truncate US 15.  They defined I-92 to be all of what is to be I-86.

WAS SIGNED AS ONE INTERSTATE, THEN DEPRECATED, THEN REJOINED THE SYSTEM

I-40 through Greensboro

roadman65

Wasn't I-64 in Hampton, VA signed originally as VA 168 before the interstate mileage was determined?  I distinctly remember someone on here, I believe Froggie mentioned it was built for VA 168 and not for I-64.

I do remember briefly that I-64 did have its own exit numbers that were single digits in the 70's and up to the mid eighties VA 168 was co- signed with I-64 up to Williamsburg where the freeway ended and defaulted into a divided four lane highway with intersections from Williamsburg to Toano signed solely as VA 168.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Mapmikey

Quote from: roadman65 on April 16, 2024, 08:52:09 PMWasn't I-64 in Hampton, VA signed originally as VA 168 before the interstate mileage was determined?  I distinctly remember someone on here, I believe Froggie mentioned it was built for VA 168 and not for I-64.

I do remember briefly that I-64 did have its own exit numbers that were single digits in the 70's and up to the mid eighties VA 168 was co- signed with I-64 up to Williamsburg where the freeway ended and defaulted into a divided four lane highway with intersections from Williamsburg to Toano signed solely as VA 168.

Yes...here is a Feb 1958 pic of what is now I-64 at US 258.  I-64 was assigned to VA 168 from here to the HRBT in Feb 1959.  I-64 was fully opened in the Williamsburg area in Aug 1978.  1979 was the last official map to show VA 168 north of the HRBT.

Virginia Hwys Bulletin

mrose

Could WI-57 count? No freeway segment exists, but its huge interchange with I-43 is an artifact of the plan to once route I-57 (43) over it.

Big John

Quote from: mrose on April 17, 2024, 09:19:54 AMCould WI-57 count? No freeway segment exists, but its huge interchange with I-43 is an artifact of the plan to once route I-57 (43) over it.

The Stadium North freeway from Milwaukee was to end there with a planned bridge to go under the I-43 bridge over WI 57, thus the height of the bridge. Of course, that project was long cancelled.

The WI 57 portion was never signed as an Interstate.

mgk920

Quote from: Big John on April 17, 2024, 09:26:27 AM
Quote from: mrose on April 17, 2024, 09:19:54 AMCould WI-57 count? No freeway segment exists, but its huge interchange with I-43 is an artifact of the plan to once route I-57 (43) over it.

The Stadium North freeway from Milwaukee was to end there with a planned bridge to go under the I-43 bridge over WI 57, thus the height of the bridge. Of course, that project was long cancelled.

The WI 57 portion was never signed as an Interstate.

IIRC, present-day I-43 south of that interchange was originally intended to be 'I-57' and the stadium freeway south of there and present-day I-43 to the north were never intended to be interstates (a reroute of US 141 to the south?).

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.