Regional Boards > Great Lakes and Ohio Valley

Wisconsin notes

<< < (875/920) > >>

JREwing78:

--- Quote from: SSOWorld on November 28, 2023, 06:14:31 PM ---And yet US 10 to Marshfield sees little traffic.

--- End quote ---

US 10 between I-39 and Marshfield exists for other reasons than purely traffic volume. It provides an additional Wisconsin River crossing where there are few other crossings available. It removed several railroad crossings. It removes through traffic from Stevens Point, as well as four towns in-between Marshfield and Stevens Point. Also, traffic was ultimately heavy enough that a 2-lane highway (and its attendant speed limit reduction) was going to be inadequate.

I think the Elkhorn-Whitewater "Corner Cut" would be worthwhile in 2-lane form to get through traffic out of the Lauderdale Lakes area. Beyond that, the existing connections to Madison via Hwy 59/County N, I-43 to US-14, or existing US-12 are adequate as-is.

I don't doubt that, "someday", traffic demand will rise to the point that a 4-lane US-12 east of Madison to Elkhorn gets built. But there's enough redundancy in the existing road network that "someday" will unlikely be during our lifetimes. It's also more likely that this 4-lane roadway could manifest itself as a Edgerton -> Whitewater -> Elkhorn connection first, rather than a 4-lane connecting through Fort Atkinson or Cambridge.

SEWIGuy:

--- Quote from: JREwing78 on November 28, 2023, 06:58:01 PM ---
--- Quote from: SSOWorld on November 28, 2023, 06:14:31 PM ---And yet US 10 to Marshfield sees little traffic.

--- End quote ---

US 10 between I-39 and Marshfield exists for other reasons than purely traffic volume. It provides an additional Wisconsin River crossing where there are few other crossings available. It removed several railroad crossings. It removes through traffic from Stevens Point, as well as four towns in-between Marshfield and Stevens Point. Also, traffic was ultimately heavy enough that a 2-lane highway (and its attendant speed limit reduction) was going to be inadequate.

I think the Elkhorn-Whitewater "Corner Cut" would be worthwhile in 2-lane form to get through traffic out of the Lauderdale Lakes area. Beyond that, the existing connections to Madison via Hwy 59/County N, I-43 to US-14, or existing US-12 are adequate as-is.

I don't doubt that, "someday", traffic demand will rise to the point that a 4-lane US-12 east of Madison to Elkhorn gets built. But there's enough redundancy in the existing road network that "someday" will unlikely be during our lifetimes. It's also more likely that this 4-lane roadway could manifest itself as a Edgerton -> Whitewater -> Elkhorn connection first, rather than a 4-lane connecting through Fort Atkinson or Cambridge.

--- End quote ---

I just can't see the corner cut as a big priority given the costs. US-12 is busy through Lauderdale Lakes, especially in the summer, but isn't awful during the rest of the year.

The Ghostbuster:
I wonder if the DOT will eventually construct a roundabout at the US 12/STH 20/STH 67 intersection. It would be the ideal place for one.

GeekJedi:

--- Quote from: invincor on November 28, 2023, 12:40:21 PM ---
--- Quote from: GeekJedi on November 27, 2023, 09:08:47 PM ---
--- Quote from: mgk920 on November 27, 2023, 12:29:41 PM ---Wisconsin has a nice interstate compatible freeway on its side of the state line end there and there are other improvements that are certainly possible (ie, a clear path exists for the potential Wlkhorn-Whitewater 'corner cut' as a 'super two' on an upgradable four lane ROW).  However, that is all for the future and we'll have to long term stay tuned for that.

Mike

--- End quote ---

That nice interstate compatible 4-lane ends at a 70 MPH freeway that now free-flow connects to a very nice upgraded I-90. There is really no reason to corner cut or do anything else with US-12 at this point. There's no return on investment there.

--- End quote ---

Eh?   I don't understand what route you're describing here.  Do you mean I-43 as the "70 mph freeway that now free-flow connects to a very nice upgraded I-90"?    The same I-43 that's headed southwest rather than northwest at that point, taking you first back down to near the state line at Beloit before you get to the nice upgraded I-90? 

--- End quote ---

The same one that, while slightly longer in mileage, is faster than the current route. So you get the faster travel time with none of the expense or hassle of a redundant upgrade.

mgk920:

--- Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 29, 2023, 11:37:15 AM ---I wonder if the DOT will eventually construct a roundabout at the US 12/STH 20/STH 67 intersection. It would be the ideal place for one.

--- End quote ---

Even if/when the 'corner cut' is built, I fully agree, a roundabout at that intersection is a 'no brainer'.

Mike

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version