News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Why do SO many people hate snow?

Started by Interstate 69 Fan, December 15, 2017, 09:58:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Interstate 69 Fan

I mean, sure snow can disrupt and potentially cause you a lot of cash on your way to work, but other than that, why? Personally, I love snow.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

Brandon

I love snow, just not the reactions of certain drivers toward it.  "Hey, dipshit, I know you don't like snow, but get the hell out of the left lane at 20 miles an hour!  And get off the freeway/tollway if you can't drive in it."
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on December 15, 2017, 09:58:18 AM
I mean, sure snow can disrupt and potentially cause you a lot of cash on your way to work, but other than that, why? Personally, I love snow.

Me too. The more the merrier in my opinion. EXCEPT MY CITY DOESN'T KNOW HOW TO DRIVE IN IT!!!!!  :pan: :pan: :pan: :pan: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: 1 inch and the entire city virtually shuts down
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

silverback1065

the older you get, the more you hate it, when i was your age, i loved it.  i now hate it.  it's cold, likely windy as hell, and it's really not fun to play in, unless you're a ski fan, or winter sports person.  driving in it is the worst too.

HazMatt

Quote from: silverback1065 on December 15, 2017, 12:40:05 PM

the older you get, the more you hate it, when i was your age, i loved it.  i now hate it.  it's cold, likely windy as hell, and it's really not fun to play in, unless you're a ski fan, or winter sports person.  driving in it is the worst too.

This.  The novelty wore off long ago.

MikeTheActuary

I like the first real snow of the season.

About the fourth or fifth time I'm clearing the driveway, etc.  I'm ready for spring.

My big objection to snow is the disruption a good storm can bring: travel plans are impacted, errands have to be juggled, workdays are messed up due to late openings / early closings / snowclearing if you're a telecommuter.

Driving in the snow can be a lot of fun.  Having to deal with other drivers in the snow is much, much less fun.

After having a couple of big, big snowstorms...excessively high piles of snow eating up lanes of traffic and obstructing views at driveways and intersections is particularly unpleasant.

And, while it's not necessarily snow-related...I've recently discovered that my car's tendency for windows to freeze shut is a particular pain when crossing the US/Canadian border (need to have driver's side front and passenger windows rolled down when you reach the booth).

corco

I enjoy driving in snow because it is the one time of year driving actually requires skill. Otherwise, yeah, I love snow and wish there were more of it. No such thing as too much snow.

tchafe1978

I don't mind snow. Living it Wisconsin, it's just a part of life in the winter. The first snowstorm of the winter however is usually interesting. No matter how much or how little the first snowstorm of the season delivers, people have of course forgotten that roads become slippery and need to slow down, and there is a rash of accidents. I do get a chuckle though when cities in the south like Atlanta completely shut down over three inches of snow. Here that's just a dusting and we move on with our lives. My friend was recently in Austin for work, and his trip back home was delayed a whole day because his connecting flight from Austin through Atlanta and then to Green Bay was affected by the 3 inches of snow in Atlanta. Buy a freaking snowplow or two!

kphoger

I love snow.  It's the cold and the dark that I hate.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: Brandon on December 15, 2017, 10:05:08 AM
I love snow, just not the reactions of certain drivers toward it.  "Hey, dipshit, I know you don't like snow, but get the hell out of the left lane at 20 miles an hour!  And get off the freeway/tollway if you can't drive in it."

You just described the quarter million old geezers (aka "snowbirds") in Arizona that come out here every year to get away from the snow.  They still drive like they're in the middle of a blizzard even though it's 75 and clear outside.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

roadman65

I like the snow, but I too hate the cold and the short days.  I also cannot stand the idiots that travel at full freeway speed when you yourself are slipping and sliding at half the posted speed limit.

Plus walking in a blizzard and having snow drifts blow on you is no fun. :biggrin:
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

Quote from: roadman65 on December 15, 2017, 03:16:43 PM
I like the snow, but I too hate the cold and the short days.  I also cannot stand the idiots that travel at full freeway speed when you yourself are slipping and sliding at half the posted speed limit.

Plus walking in a blizzard and having snow drifts blow on you is no fun. :biggrin:

It's been my experience that the weight of the vehicle and the model/wear of the tires has a huge effect on how fast you can drive in snow.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jp the roadgeek

I don't mind driving in the snow; I have AWD, I've driven to and from work during 18" blizzards and it taking 2 hours to go 10 miles.  It's just the two types of other drivers: the Floridian-like driver who does 7 MPH and steps on their brakes every 6 feet.  And then there's the Parnelli Joneses who fly along at 75 MPH like they're immortal and then end up slamming on their brakes and end up stuck in a drift.  But what I really hate about snow is A. Having to shovel and snowblow it every other day it seems (those that don't own a home can't relate unless they do it for a job or side job), and B. Having to look at it on the ground for 4 months straight.  It's a novelty for a few days, but when it refuses to melt, piles of it are turning brown from the sand and salt, the sand and salt that eats away at your car, and then it melting and refreezing, meaning you have to spend $$$ on rock salt or walk like a penguin and be afraid of falling every 10 feet.  Snow is nice to look at somewhere else, and it's nice to ski on, but I'm a NIMBY when it comes to it.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

roadman65

Yes I hear you on that one.  I remember one year its snowed three feet, where it remained sub freezing for over a month and it was on the ground, for what it seemed like, forever.  It happened in January and melted in March.  It was one of the worst. winters NJ had  as most of the time it would be in the 30's and 40's at least for a few days even when we get sub zero.  That used to last a few days tops, and even to be in the teens never lasted more than forty-eight hours as it would peak about 30 and you would get even two or three February Days of 40 like temps.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on December 15, 2017, 04:28:58 PM
Having to shovel and snowblow it every other day it seems (those that don't own a home can't relate unless they do it for a job or side job)

:hmmm:  We don't own our house, but that doesn't keep us from having to shovel the driveway when it snows.  It's not like our landlords make the drive from Utah every time it snows here and shovel it for us.
Male pronouns, please.

Flint1979

Because people don't know how to drive in it. Like today for example I had to make a trip from Saginaw, Michigan to Holland, Michigan and back. Going to Holland I took I-75 to Flint then took I-69 to Lansing, I-96 to Grand Rapids, M-6 to I-196 and then I-196 to Holland. On the way back I took I-196 to M-6 to I-96 to I-69 to M-13.

Let's just say that there are too many people that shouldn't even be on the road that clog up the traffic flow. On just about every stretch of highway I drove on today I encountered slow moving traffic in the left lane and long lines of it too because for some reason people think that they are entitled to drive in the left lane and move at about 62 mph when your trying to do 80 mph. Semi trucks that take forever to pass another semi truck moving maybe 1 or 2 mph slower than the truck that's doing the passing slows you down the same way. I twice got off the highway and took alternate routes, first time I used the Grand River/Cascade combo in between Portland and Grand Rapids instead of I-96 due to heavy traffic and then used Old M-78 for the same reason instead of I-69 coming back.

People really need to stay out of the left lane if their movements aren't very fast because it just clogs traffic up for the simple fact that you don't know how to drive. I only encountered one situation where I felt 80 mph might be a little too fast and that was in blizzard like conditions on I-96 between Lansing and Grand Rapids.

I've vented about US 23 long enough now my frustrations are on I-96 and I-69 both of which should be at least six lanes throughout the state.

Duke87

Because it's disruptive. Fortunately I do not have the responsibility of clearing any walkways but snow still makes me have to clean off my car before using it, slows the process of driving places down, and, with enough of it, renders travel temporarily impossible.

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on December 15, 2017, 11:41:59 AM
1 inch and the entire city virtually shuts down
You just described how the entire southeast reacts to snow.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: freebrickproductions on December 15, 2017, 08:26:12 PM
Quote from: Hurricane Rex on December 15, 2017, 11:41:59 AM
1 inch and the entire city virtually shuts down
You just described how the entire southeast reacts to snow.

Glad to hear we aren't alone in the Northwest.

Running till I die.

Roadgeekteen

Snow is okay, but it slows down life so much!
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

I wouldn't say that I hate snow but it certainly makes travel in the mountain states incredibly difficult when it just has fallen.  Anyone that has been stuck having to put chains on their car in a mushy roadway probably knows how annoying and really just hazardous the snow can be.  It doesn't help that several of my favorite roads like Tioga Pass Road, CA 108, CA 4, and Sherman Pass Road all shut down in the winter.

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 16, 2017, 10:02:52 PM

Although I agree, sometimes we could use a little snow to slow us down a little, take some of our stress off. Just saying, not trying to disprove anything.

Running till I die.

jwolfer

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on December 17, 2017, 02:26:33 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 16, 2017, 10:02:52 PM

Although I agree, sometimes we could use a little snow to slow us down a little, take some of our stress off. Just saying, not trying to disprove anything.
A good snow day!

I know here in Florida it was nice to have a day or 2 off because of hurricane, power is out no one expects you at work etc.. provided of course your home isn't damaged.

Z981

kphoger

Quote from: Flint1979 on December 15, 2017, 06:30:50 PM
for some reason people think that they are entitled to drive in the left lane and move at about 62 mph when your trying to do 80 mph.

I think it's simpler than that:  For some reason, people think they no longer have to look out for anybody else when there's snow.  Checking mirrors, using turn signals, keeping right–it all goes out the window.  The window that they may or may not have scraped clear before leaving home.
Male pronouns, please.

Flint1979

Quote from: kphoger on December 18, 2017, 01:57:28 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on December 15, 2017, 06:30:50 PM
for some reason people think that they are entitled to drive in the left lane and move at about 62 mph when your trying to do 80 mph.

I think it's simpler than that:  For some reason, people think they no longer have to look out for anybody else when there's snow.  Checking mirrors, using turn signals, keeping right–it all goes out the window.  The window that they may or may not have scraped clear before leaving home.
It's ridiculous I was on I-96 on Friday and everybody was using the left lane I got in the right lane to pass about 10 vehicles at a time which is all I could do to get back over I was doing a lot of weaving

SAMSUNG-SM-J727A

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.