News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Great River Road in Canada?

Started by AsphaltPlanet, June 22, 2012, 08:54:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AsphaltPlanet

In the spirit of all things illogical, I thought that I'd show a photo that I took a few years ago of a Great River Road in Ontario.  Obviously, the Great River Road is a tourist route that follows the Mississippi River in the U.S.  Ontario has a Great River Touring Route along various routes in Northwestern Ontario, despite the fact that the area drains to the Arctic via the Nelson River.

Just one of those odd things.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Alps

But why is it the exact same spec sign?

NE2

It is or was continuous with the one in the U.S.
Quote from: http://www.lib.niu.edu/1992/im920611.htmlThe province of Ontario became involved in the program in the 1950s because of the joint cultural ties of the Mississippi River states and Canada and because of the mutual interests in tourism and economic development. The Great River Road was extended north from the headwaters in northern Minnesota all the way to its northern terminus in Minaki, Ontario.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

AsphaltPlanet

That's interesting.  I had no idea that the sign was sanctioned.  I had figured the Ontario Government had simply piggybacked the route designation without official permission.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.