News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Routes that leave a road and come back to it

Started by hotdogPi, June 21, 2016, 08:52:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

If any of these three examples have turns on the straight unnumbered road, tell me.

An example would be US 40 in Indianapolis: if you stay on the same road through Indianapolis, you will leave US 40 after crossing I-465 the first time and come back to US 40 after crossing it the second time, without turning at all. There is a one-way pair in the middle, but there is no turning onto another road.

Another example is MA 129 in Wakefield and Lynnfield (described here heading east): Current MA 129 turns off near the Reading/Wakefield border, while the road that goes straight parallels MA 128 (and is faster than current MA 129). The road that goes straight becomes MA 129 again after crossing US 1.

For NH 108: Maple Ave. (Newton), Chase Rd. (South Hampton), and South Rd. (also South Hampton) are one street that changes names, and this street connects to NH 108 on both ends without turning. NH 108 itself, on the other hand, goes through East Kingston, NH and has a wrong-way overlap with NH 107.

Remember, no turns! (If the road curves, it's okay.)
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

briantroutman

If I'm understanding your premise correctly, I would imagine that this scenario is not terribly uncommon, particularly where a highway has been routed on a bypass alignment around a town but follows the old alignment on either end.

For example, US 11-15 is currently routed on Susquehanna Trail through Shamokin Dam, PA, and if you continue directly south without taking the ramp for the freeway bypass, the road becomes Market Street in Selinsgrove and then becomes US 11-15 again south of town.

vdeane

This happens in Albany.  Pearl Street is NY 32 over most of its length... but NY 32 diverges onto the I-787 service roads for exit 2, then follows Green Street for a couple blocks, then shimmys back to Pearl Street.  It's a very illogical way to route traffic and I can only assume that it was done because someone was too lazy to assign reference route numbers to the service roads.  Most mapping companies get the transition points at the wrong spot if they even acknowledge it at all.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

Eastbound KY 52 in Marion County. Southbound KY 49 comes in from the left and joins KY 52 for a brief concurrency. KY 49 then turns to the right and KY 52 continues straight. A few miles down the road, KY 52 comes to a T intersection at KY 49 and then turns left for another concurrency.

US 127 in Lawrenceburg, Ky. The straight through route is signed as Bypass US 127. The old road through town is signed as US 127. The more logical thing to do would be to sign the old route as Business 127 and the newer bypass as US 127 without any descriptive banner.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hotdogPi

Quote from: hbelkins on June 21, 2016, 02:16:05 PM
Eastbound KY 52 in Marion County. Southbound KY 49 comes in from the left and joins KY 52 for a brief concurrency. KY 49 then turns to the right and KY 52 continues straight. A few miles down the road, KY 52 comes to a T intersection at KY 49 and then turns left for another concurrency.

US 127 in Lawrenceburg, Ky. The straight through route is signed as Bypass US 127. The old road through town is signed as US 127. The more logical thing to do would be to sign the old route as Business 127 and the newer bypass as US 127 without any descriptive banner.

While the second one is an example, the first one, while interesting, is not an example. The two 49/52 concurrencies are on different roads.

WNYroadgeek

NY 31 does this. In Medina it turns north to overlap with NY 63, and then turns east shortly thereafter, but if you keep going straight (onto NY 31A), you'll eventually be on NY 31 again in Brockport.

NY 33 also does this. In Bergen it turns north, but if you keep going straight (onto NY 33A), you'll eventually be on NY 33 again in Rochester.

wanderer2575

In Michigan, US-12 leaves Michigan Avenue to bypass Ypsilanti and then returns.  The bypass is partially expressway and partly a concurrency with I-94.  Most of this stretch of Michigan Avenue is Business US-12, but the western end of the business route runs north-south along Huron Street/Hamilton Street to connect with US-12 during its concurrency with I-94.

https://goo.gl/maps/CGJr1aYmCCx

mariethefoxy

Does US 3 in MA/NH count? it leaves onto its own freeway in Burlington, the old road continues as MA 3A and Middlesex Road/D W Highway then US 3 north of downtown Nashua comes back to D W Highway and leaves Everett Turnpike.

3A doesnt stay on DW highway, it turns and goes over the merrimack river but still, teh same road contnues north.

golden eagle

It probably won't happen in my lifetime, but if US 49 is ever built to freeway standards, one possible plan would be to duplex it with I-59 and US 98 around Hattiesburg. In this scenario, motorists would go southward through town on the "old" 49 and pick up 49 again south of Hattiesburg at the US 98 interchange.

CNGL-Leudimin

One from the UK: A30. Somewhere between Exeter and Yeovil it turns off the road, which becomes A303. A30 rejoins the route past Andover, 87.5 miles later. I'm not sure about a roundabout North of Yeovil, but it could be the longest example.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

roadman65

FL 50 does in Brooksville, in one direction anyway as the downtown it bypasses, has a one way pair.

US 9 does at Toms River, NJ.  Follow it straight through Toms River on NJ 166 and it will return to it later in Beachwood.  Northbound the same as US 9 North leaves itself to become NJ 166 that later defaults back into it at Exit 83 of the GSP.

US 11, I believe does it in Syracuse, NY where it leaves Salinas Street and then returns to it. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

GCrites

jp the roadgeek

US 6 in CT w/ I-84: Joins it from Exit 4-8, leaves, rejoins from Exit 10-15, leaves, rejoins again from Exit 38-60.

US 1 w/ I-95:  Joins to cross the GWB, rejoins to cross the Baldwin Bridge in CT, rejoins to cross the Gold Star Bridge in CT, rejoins from Exit 27-29 in RI, rejoins as a wrong way concurrency from Dedham to Canton, MA

US 6 and US 202: Join from the west end of the Bear Mountain Bridge to downtown Peekskill, rejoin from Brewster to I-84 Exit 7 in CT (including quadplex with I-84 and US 7)

US 6 and US 44: Joined in I-84 to cross the Bulkeley Bridge, rejoin from I-84 Exit 60 to Bolton Notch, rejoin again along I-195 from Providence into East Providence.

US 7 and US 202: Joined as part of the quadplex above, then rejoined from the end of the Brookfield Bypass to downtown New Milford.

If you count MA 3 and US 3 as one route, it joins I-93 from the Braintree split to Downtown Boston, then rejoins along the Franconia Notch Parkway in NH
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Bickendan

US 30, OR 99.

More notably: TCH 1 in BC, leaving the highway mainline in Hope and rejoining it near Kamloops, while the mainline becomes BC 3 then BC 5 right away.

roadman65

JP if you are going to count route numbers then count US 17 with US 1 as in Jacksonville the two routes concur.  Then again in Virginia the two routes concur once more near Spotsylvania, plus the business route of US 17 concurs with US 1 in Fredericksburg.

Then US 301 leaves US 1 at Folkston, GA to rejoin it again in Petersburg, VA.

However, I believe the OP wanted a straight line road, as US 1 in New York and Connecticut does not follow a straight path. Even in The Bronx US 1 makes a 90 degree turn from Webster Avenue to Fordham Road and again at the Bronx River Parkway to become Boston Road.    Plus Bridgeport, CT I remember back in 1988 US 1 did change alignments there too.

Sheryl Crowe

TheStranger

Though Route 1 and US 101 along the Central Coast fits this pretty well, the most glaring example is near Ventura between US 101 exits 72 and 78: there, Route 1 runs along a stretch of former US 101 by the coastline, then rejoins the Ventura Freeway.  As late as 1967 (according to Historic Aerials), this was still mainline US 101 (and unsigned Route 1); Route 1 however was not moved back onto this short beach route until 1980.

Due to the completion of I-5/West Side Freeway in the Central Valley, Route 33 leaves Derrick Avenue/Coalinga-Mendota Road for about 13 miles to hop on the Interstate at Exit 337, before returning to the older surface routing at Exit 349.

When US 60 existed in California, at one point it left its concurrency with US 70 & US 99 in Pomona (taking the southern routing mostly replaced by today's Route 71 and state Route 60) only to rejoin those two in Beaumont.
Chris Sampang

DandyDan

I believe US 151 does this in Cedar Rapids and Marion, Iowa.  Although there are numerous street name changes for Business US 151 there, you never have to actually turn.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Henry

I-90 and I-94 do this in many places. Beginning in Billings, MT (where I-94 ends), the two routes join each other in Tomah, WI, form a concurrency to Madison, WI before splitting off again, join each other yet again north of Chicago to form another concurrency through the city, and meet each other for the final time in Portage, IN, where I-90 continues onto the Toll Road after having split off onto the Skyway before it and I-94 continues as the solo route towards Detroit; it's also where I-80 exchanges concurrencies between them.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

bzakharin

US 9 joins the Garden State Parkway several times to use its bridges. More trivially, NJ 41 leaves Kings Highway to cross NJ 70 because Kings Highway is no longer continuous there.

roadman65

If were talking numbers how about US 15 & 501 in NC.  It joins US 1 twice there. 

Then in Florida US 98 used to leave US 441 and return to it, before FDOT had AASHTO sign it all the way and reviert the old US 98 from Loxhatchee to Canal Point to its secret state route number 700.

Sheryl Crowe

hotdogPi

Some of you are posting examples where two routes leave and join again. If turning is required, it does not count.

dvferyance

Quote from: Henry on June 23, 2016, 11:04:39 AM
I-90 and I-94 do this in many places. Beginning in Billings, MT (where I-94 ends), the two routes join each other in Tomah, WI, form a concurrency to Madison, WI before splitting off again, join each other yet again north of Chicago to form another concurrency through the city, and meet each other for the final time in Portage, IN, where I-90 continues onto the Toll Road after having split off onto the Skyway before it and I-94 continues as the solo route towards Detroit; it's also where I-80 exchanges concurrencies between them.
I would disqualify this one. I-90's roadway that I-94 takes over for in Tomah technically ends at a T interchange with I-694. There I-94 takes over I-694's roadway from there.

roadman65

Quote from: 1 on June 23, 2016, 08:39:16 PM
Some of you are posting examples where two routes leave and join again. If turning is required, it does not count.
Thanks for clarifying this one as it was too ambiguous. 

NJ 166 on US 9 N Bound is one as there is no turns.  SB used to be until Toms River made a one way couplet on Main Street in Downtown.

Probably one way pairs do not count like US 202 SB in Norristown, PA or US 422 in Lebanon where one side leaves and returns to the same exact street later on due to a one way opposite. Although with the former, US 202 could be iffy now that the Bridgeport Bypass freeway was built giving US 202 SB a smooth merge into DeKalb Street as default there at present return point.

Sheryl Crowe

DandyDan

There gets to be a new one in Council Bluffs, Iowa (if it hasn't officially happened yet), when US 6, which goes along Broadway in Council Bluffs, gets put onto I-29 and I-80.  Broadway runs into I-480, which overlaps US 6 as they cross into Nebraska.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

odditude

US 130 SB in Hamilton Twp, NJ (NB requires effort to remain on the old alignment, now NJ 156).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.