News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

The Best of Road Signs

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 21, 2010, 06:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

realjd

Although I never saw one myself, I think this deserves a place in the Best Of Road Signs gallery:

(from Wikipedia)

Does anyone have an actual photo? AARoads doesn't cover Montana, and a quick GIS didn't turn up many.

Alps

Quote from: realjd on January 24, 2011, 08:51:34 AM
Although I never saw one myself, I think this deserves a place in the Best Of Road Signs gallery:

(from Wikipedia)

Does anyone have an actual photo? AARoads doesn't cover Montana, and a quick GIS didn't turn up many.

http://www.alpsroads.net/roads/mt/misc has that which you seek.

Central Avenue

Somehow, I almost like this one better in the photo than in person. (at Olentangy River Road)

315 South by LongestAugust, on Flickr

This one's neat just for the "wait, what?" factor. (along US 23 SB between Marion and Delaware)

Experimental Test Pavement by LongestAugust, on Flickr

And finally, this is the only remaining state-name Interstate shield I know of in Columbus. It's not just the photo, the colors are actually that faded. (along OH 317 SB just past East Main Street/US 40)

Interstate Ohio 70 by LongestAugust, on Flickr
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

Mapmikey

Quote from: SyntheticDreamer on October 14, 2010, 12:28:40 AM
IIRC, the last US route cutouts were removed before 2003. The last one I remember was on EB W Broad St (US 33/250) between Westmoreland St and Staples Mill Rd (US 33).

I've scoured the various US routes in Richmond and have come up empty-handed; the oldest signs I can find are City of Richmond uni-signs. These signs ARE quite old and some of the older ones refer to old route alignments - they date back to the 1970s and possibly earlier (there is a sign for US 60 on Broad St at Monroe St; this part of Broad has not had US 60 since 1974), but they're not what I'm looking for. Of course, the city is also replacing those and one of the replacements is an error shield that I stuck in the sign error thread.

Two VA 6 cuotus are still up, one in each direction west of Three Chopt Road on Patterson Ave...saw them today but didn't have my camera with me...

Mapmikey

MDOTFanFB

Quillz

I think Series C works very well with an Interstate shield:

MDOTFanFB

Though I never saw this myself, I think it should belong in here:

(from the Google 3D Warehouse)

Anyone have an actual photo of this sign?

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

MDOTFanFB

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: MDOTFanFB on January 30, 2011, 11:47:09 AM
Quote from: NE2 on January 30, 2011, 09:45:38 AM
Yes: http://www.google.com/images?q=trucks%20entering%20highway

I'm 100% sure that sign can only be seen in Colorado.

Nope, Virginia's full of them, and I've also seen them for sure in New Jersey, and probably elsewhere. Typically orange and used in connection with a work zone though.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

ctsignguy

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Mapmikey on January 29, 2011, 08:42:15 PM

Two VA 6 cuotus are still up, one in each direction west of Three Chopt Road on Patterson Ave...saw them today but didn't have my camera with me...

Mapmikey

They're actually east of Three Chopt Road: there is one westbound just before that intersection, and one eastbound near St. Christopher's Road. There used to be one at Thompson Street near I-195, but it's gone now.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

MDOTFanFB

Quote from: Central Avenue on January 24, 2011, 08:25:09 PM
This one's neat just for the "wait, what?" factor. (along US 23 SB between Marion and Delaware)

Experimental Test Pavement by LongestAugust, on Flickr

Very neat. Are there any text "Divided Highway", "Divided Highway Ends" or "Merging Traffic" signs left in the state? Are there even "No Center Stripe" signs in the state?

myosh_tino

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on January 30, 2011, 11:53:11 AM

Nope, Virginia's full of them, and I've also seen them for sure in New Jersey, and probably elsewhere. Typically orange and used in connection with a work zone though.
Add California to that list of states that use "Trucks Entering Highway" signs though like Virginia, California's signs are almost always orange construction signs.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

corco

Quote from: myosh_tino on January 30, 2011, 07:40:43 PM
Quote from: deathtopumpkins on January 30, 2011, 11:53:11 AM

Add California to that list of states that use "Trucks Entering Highway" signs though like Virginia, California's signs are almost always orange construction signs.

Definitely in Wyoming too, and I've seen them in Idaho in a construction context

Eth

Also used frequently in Georgia.  It might be easier to list states that don't use it...except that I can't think of any offhand.

Central Avenue

Quote from: MDOTFanFB on January 30, 2011, 02:32:04 PM
Very neat. Are there any text "Divided Highway", "Divided Highway Ends" or "Merging Traffic" signs left in the state? Are there even "No Center Stripe" signs in the state?
I don't know of any, but I rarely leave Columbus so I wouldn't really know.
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

yakra

"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

agentsteel53

Quote from: yakra on February 05, 2011, 01:39:49 AM
["to route 112" photo]

holy Hell, where did you find that?  that's amazing that it survives.  Gotta be an early 40s blank with the "route 112" filled in sometime in the 60s at the latest.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Scott5114

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 05, 2011, 11:41:34 AM
holy Hell, where did you find that?

This is when you know you've found something good. :nod:
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

yakra

That's on a dirt road in VT spitting distance from the MA line. (Promise not to steal it! :happy:) Good point on the 112 possibly being filled in later on -- didn't notice this before. The 2 especially looks much more rounded & thus more recent than the rest of the legend, and the black on the numerals doesn't look nearly as worn. Also looks to not be embossed - a look back the original resolution pic confirms -- looks like they may be stickers.
This begs the question: How the hell did I not pick up on this at the time? Didn't I walk right up n feel the dang thing when I was oohing & aahing and snapping photos? Eh! Or maybe I didn't... had 2 non-roadgeek friends in the car and was trying to be somewhat quick...
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Duke87

What: a huge overhead sign on a rural 2-lane road that presumably is lit up at night
Where: MA 57 westbound between Tolland and New Boston
Why: because there is a serious (12%, according to later signs) hill up ahead, with a stop sign at the bottom.

Certainly attention-grabbing, isn't it?
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Kniwt

Quote from: Duke87 on February 13, 2011, 12:35:24 AM
Why: because there is a serious (12%, according to later signs) hill up ahead, with a stop sign at the bottom.

Looks like the last half-mile is a real white-knuckle:

Beeper1

That's a really white-knuckle section of road, especially in the winter.  The road makes a very sharp 90 degree turn just before comint to a stop sign at MA 8, a much busier road.  Its one of the only places I know of in Mass where there is a Runaway Truck Ramp. It's at the bottom of the hill at the 90 degree turn.

Only other runaway truck ramp I know of in MA is on the MassPike eastbound at the bottom of the long hill from Blandford to the Westfield River bridge.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.