News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Quote from: Alps on May 14, 2021, 01:14:22 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on May 13, 2021, 11:11:38 PM
While on county roads where is CR 577's southern terminus?  Is it at NJ 124 in Springfield?  Or is it at CR 509 in Westfield?

NJDOT signs Meisel/ Springfield Avenues as CR 577 from NJ 82 & 124 and US 22, but Union County signs it as CR 509 Spur.

Now I know NJ does make errors like with CR 509 continuing past NJ 28 in Westfield when the route has been truncated for many decades.  At NJ 28 and West Broad Street, the guide sign shows CR 509 South continuing along Broad into Scotch Plains as if it were still aligned to South Plainfield where it once ended prior to the Mid 70's.

Then again, the counties seem to make their own rules too as 500 series routes in NJ are supposed to be assigned by NJDOT and not the counties themselves like the 600 series routes are.  Plus, didn't NJ phase out SPUR routes from 500 series routes as well?
509 Spur has been replaced by 577 and new signs are consistent.

Should be CR 577 anyway. I mean why not.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

TheGrassGuy

TIL that CR 509 has an unsigned section in Edison :wow:
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

Alps

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on May 14, 2021, 11:42:29 AM
TIL that CR 509 has an unsigned section in Edison :wow:
This is one of those cases where I don't trust the SLDs - they aren't almighty. That is a leftover from the old routing of 509 before it was truncated to NJ 28, and as far as I know it remains truncated to NJ 28. The county should answer to this, but it ought to have a 6xx number.

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on May 13, 2021, 11:11:38 PM
While on county roads where is CR 577's southern terminus?  Is it at NJ 124 in Springfield?  Or is it at CR 509 in Westfield?

NJDOT signs Meisel/ Springfield Avenues as CR 577 from NJ 82 & 124 and US 22, but Union County signs it as CR 509 Spur.

Now I know NJ does make errors like with CR 509 continuing past NJ 28 in Westfield when the route has been truncated for many decades.  At NJ 28 and West Broad Street, the guide sign shows CR 509 South continuing along Broad into Scotch Plains as if it were still aligned to South Plainfield where it once ended prior to the Mid 70's.

Then again, the counties seem to make their own rules too as 500 series routes in NJ are supposed to be assigned by NJDOT and not the counties themselves like the 600 series routes are.  Plus, didn't NJ phase out SPUR routes from 500 series routes as well?

Spur routes were (mostly) retired in the 1990s, I believe. It's led to some rare cases of 6xx routes being signed at exits along main NJ highways, which NJDOT usually does not do (they only sign the 5xx routes since they're akin to a state secondary system). For example, CR651 is signed at Exit 36 on 78, owing to its days as 527 Spur. It's wonderfully inconsistent, though. Exit 26 is signed as 523 Spur even though it's been CR-655 for years now. Also, when River Road in Piscataway was downgraded from 514 Spur to 622 a while back, NJDOT removed all county route references from its signage of Exit 9 on 287. And, of course, I believe there are some Spur routes still kicking around, especially in Monnmouth County.

roadman65

Not to mention in Gloucester County on I-295 where 600 series routes are signed from Woodbury to Repaupo.

Sheryl Crowe

famartin

Quote from: roadman65 on May 14, 2021, 11:22:51 PM
Not to mention in Gloucester County on I-295 where 600 series routes are signed from Woodbury to Repaupo.

600 routes are signed very sporadically by NJDOT in most of the state, but mostly not. However, the reconstructed section of I-295 in Gloucester is a very odd and prominent example of where they were signed heavily and consistently.

odditude

Quote from: famartin on May 14, 2021, 11:36:28 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on May 14, 2021, 11:22:51 PM

600 routes are signed very sporadically by NJDOT in most of the state, but mostly not. However, the reconstructed section of I-295 in Gloucester is a very odd and prominent example of where they were signed heavily and consistently.

i thought this was an artifact of carrying (and originally solely being) US 130 over this stretch.

roadman65

Actually the original US 130 signage had no routes listed, but street names underscored like jughandle signage has.  The street name with one or two control cities were featured only on US 130 signage there.

https://goo.gl/maps/UAYHFyX3p4UTfCDx7
Also I see in Westfield Union County does indeed acknowledge CR 577 now.  Plus at CR 639 its also now signed.   

Sheryl Crowe

NJRoadfan

The 509 Spur signs were an error, but they did have neat shields.

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: NJRoadfan on May 15, 2021, 12:59:18 PM
The 509 Spur signs were an error, but they did have neat shields.

Is this really the best quality signage available

NE2

Go smoke some grass.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

TheGrassGuy

Pics I would love to see:

* I-78's temporary eastern end at Exit 41 or western end at Exit 48 (?)
* I-287's temporary northern end at Exit 44
* I-78 Exit 36 signed as CR 527 Spur instead of CR 651
* I-287 Exit 9 signed as CR 514 Spur
* Signage of I-287 from Exits 52-59 as NJ-208
* The old configuration of the US-22/202/206 interchange in Bridgewater/Somerville
* NJ-177 signage (did that even exist?)

NJRoadfan

I know someone who has video footage of I-78 with the older signs. NJ-208 ended at US-202, so you won't see any other signs.

roadman65

I worked in Bedminster for my first job and commuted I-78 from Watchung to I-287. No photos then, but the same signs then are just copied now. Originally the CR 531 exit was signed " Hilcrest Road"  up until 1983 when NJDOT gave exit numbers to I-78 west of Watchung.  Then SPUR 527 was signed " King George Rd"  and used Bound Brook as control over Warren ( for a while Warrenville was used after SPUR 527 was added with exit numbers) for whatever logic they used then.

County Route 525 was signed " Martinsville Road"  and both exits for CR 523 and SPUR 523 used control city only and no route shields.

Also I-78 East from I-287 was not signed. Local Traffic- No Trucks was signed.  Also TO NJ 24 WEST was signed for ramps onto I-78 West in Newark, Irvington, and Union with the west end a default with sign bridges up but covered panels for the I-78 through lanes up a grass grade to under Shunpike Road overpass.  The express lanes were grass too west of NJ 124 as local lanes only operated until people complained about them being closed. Though west of NJ 24 crossover remained closed until 1986 when the final segment in Union County opened.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

I see on GSV that some of the traffic lights on NJ 28 in Roselle Park are being replaced.  Locust Street and Chestnut are going for monotube mast arms and adding the typical red hand and white pedestrian instead of using side mount signals for the crosswalks.  In addition it appears that even with the left turn signals, they are adding a left side through signal head as well.

Does anyone know if the signals are operational yet?

Also I see Sullivan Chevrolet is out of business, just an empty lot.  IMO Union County should connect the two discontinuous segments of Chestnut Street now the land is open.  Then again the same county spends money to keep the Gordon Street Bridge open, when they should just tear it down and bring Gordon Street to grade level.  The CNJ is no longer operational and Conrail abandoned freight use many ages ago.  I am surprised that the old CNJ ROW is not put to use as a jogging or bike trail.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on May 16, 2021, 11:21:09 PM
I see on GSV that some of the traffic lights on NJ 28 in Roselle Park are being replaced.  Locust Street and Chestnut are going for monotube mast arms and adding the typical red hand and white pedestrian instead of using side mount signals for the crosswalks.  In addition it appears that even with the left turn signals, they are adding a left side through signal head as well.

Also I see Sullivan Chevrolet is out of business, just an empty lot.  IMO Union County should connect the two discontinuous segments of Chestnut Street now the land is open.  Then again the same county spends money to keep the Gordon Street Bridge open, when they should just tear it down and bring Gordon Street to grade level.  The CNJ is no longer operational and Conrail abandoned freight use many ages ago.  I am surprised that the old CNJ ROW is not put to use as a jogging or bike trail.

When a company goes out of business, the land just doesn't become available. It's still opened by the company or bank who owns the property. They are probably going to be reluctant to sell to the government as it may reduce the ability to sell the rest of the property.

famartin

Quote from: DrSmith on May 03, 2021, 09:32:41 AM
Quote from: bzakharin on May 02, 2021, 10:54:52 PM
Doubly odd because the term "freeway" has no traction in NJ, and entrance signs are for toll roads. The only reference to freeways in NJ signage I remember seeing is "freeway ends" at the southern terminus of NJ 55. https://www.google.com/maps/@39.3445694,-74.9969318,3a,75y,160.63h,93.01t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sVhYg25SrWHzxoCHYqsRohw!2e0!5s20180801T000000!7i13312!8i6656

When I was young, Route 42 was called the Freeway, a shortened form of it's name, the North-South Freeway.  Although maybe that is disappearing from usage.

Found an overhead that used it:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.836176,-75.0933506,3a,75y,59.17h,88.51t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s0RHNCEJMwkdpTAfwGveNRw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

TheGrassGuy

Isn't there still a CVS in the way?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: famartin on May 17, 2021, 01:16:15 AM
Quote from: DrSmith on May 03, 2021, 09:32:41 AM
Quote from: bzakharin on May 02, 2021, 10:54:52 PM
Doubly odd because the term "freeway" has no traction in NJ, and entrance signs are for toll roads. The only reference to freeways in NJ signage I remember seeing is "freeway ends" at the southern terminus of NJ 55. https://www.google.com/maps/@39.3445694,-74.9969318,3a,75y,160.63h,93.01t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sVhYg25SrWHzxoCHYqsRohw!2e0!5s20180801T000000!7i13312!8i6656

When I was young, Route 42 was called the Freeway, a shortened form of it's name, the North-South Freeway.  Although maybe that is disappearing from usage.

Found an overhead that used it:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.836176,-75.0933506,3a,75y,59.17h,88.51t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s0RHNCEJMwkdpTAfwGveNRw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Which in itself probably is a sign that shouldn't be used, since at this very intersection there's no access to Rt. 42 (it's a one-way off-ramp), and to a person unfamiliar with the nickname, could be confused as allowing access to 42 both North & South!

The project that revised this particular intersection was not one of NJDOT's proudest moments.  Examples include:  No drainage at a low point in the roadway, creating flooding, an inaccessible push button for a Walk/Don't Walk sign 4 feet off the roadway behind a guardrail, and a major left turn movement that got a revised left turn lane that fit 4 vehicles max (DOT is going back to fix this issue, but won't begin construction for several years).  Rt. 41 was also widened slightly, but a year later had to be re-widened to fit in an additional lane, which included having to replace utility poles twice.  At the light you posted here, this would've been better off with 2 lanes exiting Rt. 42 at the traffic light.  There's often a long single line of traffic that extends back to the sharp curve on the exit ramp.

Edit...to add:  This intersection was created as part of the project, yet the sign blade used was just 42 North (and again, not particularly useful as this is just an off-ramp as well.  https://goo.gl/maps/nRzThUfZfKruSeK67

NJRoadfan

Lights are operational and the empty lot has apartments being constructed.

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/f1Xy2HaHrqnid92U9
Too bad they couldn't do something about this intersection.  As I always remembered EB Route 28 had to stop when both the Protected Left and Faitoute Avenue turned green simultaneously.  Because left turns are prohibited on Faitoute to Route 28 East ( due to turning cars on EB art. 28 to NB Faitoute) there is no cross traffic to deal with there.

The WB image of that intersection still shows EB through movement as a stop.  I know when the light was first added before I was born, signal call buttons were not in NJDOT vocabulary and detection loops were not invented yet, so it was made as what it was for the time.  However new mast arms were added and upgrades to the signal heads to 12-12-12 were introduced, they could have reprogrammed the time mechanism and added pedestrian call features at that moment.

Sheryl Crowe

NJRoadfan

The light setup at Gordon/Faitoute makes sense when you drive through it.

roadman65

It makes sense going from Gordon to Faitoute or Faitoute to Gordon.  However from Gordon to EB NJ 28 it requires a stop for nothing.  I am sure since Romerovski closed, no one crosses the street there anymore.  So let it be green all the time unless someone calls for it.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on May 17, 2021, 11:53:14 PM
It makes sense going from Gordon to Faitoute or Faitoute to Gordon.  However from Gordon to EB NJ 28 it requires a stop for nothing.  I am sure since Romerovski closed, no one crosses the street there anymore.  So let it be green all the time unless someone calls for it.

Yeah, given that traffic from Faitoute can't turn left onto 28, they could have installed a small barrier in from the back end of the intersection to make a completely channelized lane for the left turn traffic from 28 to Faitoute, install a proper pedestrian crossing setup (with actual pedestrian signals and actuator buttons)  and just have that light turn red if someone presses the button to cross. That whole install is old, I want to say the last time it was touched was the early 1990s (NJDOT hasn't done the 2 8" lights with the 12" arrow light assemblies like that in many years) even though they've put traffic detection gear in there to help with the light. It would be a better setup.

roadman65

However better than NYC with some traffic lights at one way streets inward to the right that have you wait until the green light due to NYS Law allowing NYC to have NTOR due to it's population exceeding the one million mark.

That is a dumb excuse especially with pollution that is created when a stop light turns red and we should be cutting back on the emissions and CO2 quality.

However I have no control over this and don't live up there no more.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.