News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off-Topic / Re: Minor things that bother y...
Last post by Rothman - Today at 01:27:02 PM
I still hate adaptive cruise control.
Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: New US 51 - Cairo Bridge
Last post by ilpt4u - Today at 01:25:28 PM
Cairo is positioned in a spot that should be a vibrant city. Right at the junction of the Mississippi and Ohio. Its history is troubled and there is barely a city left.

I don't live that far away but really isn't much reason to head down that way very often, unfortunately

As far as a new bridge, if Missouri and Illinois are not going to replace the Mississippi River bridge at the river confluence, the Ohio River bridge should probably be further north closer to the I-57/US 51/IL 3/IL 37 intersections, and tie more directly into the interstate for the interstate bridge to Missouri. That appears to be the US 60 corridor study referenced here
Northeast / Re: Interstate 81 in Syracuse
Last post by Rothman - Today at 01:25:14 PM
Heh.  Residents of Pulaski consider the interchanges partial...
Off-Topic / Re: How do you define the Midw...
Last post by Rothman - Today at 01:23:21 PM
Ohioans should consider themselves left lane blockers.
Mid-Atlantic / Re: West Virginia
Last post by seicer - Today at 01:22:09 PM
I was surprised that the delays early on were caused by permitting (environmental, railroad), not construction. This delayed some components of the rebuild, including the Guyandotte River Bridge.

What is different about these two projects versus earlier widenings on Interstate 64 is that they involve a total rebuild of the sub-base and pavement. With the roadway nearing 70 years old, it was time for deficiencies in pavement and drainage to be addressed, which probably added a year to the project.
Suggestions and Questions / Re: Theme Change?
Last post by JayhawkCO - Today at 01:18:09 PM
I guess I don't find it that offensive. It's generic, as it should be.
Suggestions and Questions / Re: Theme Change?
Last post by Takumi - Today at 01:15:36 PM
The theme change hasn't been the only reason I haven't been around much lately, but it's the biggest one.
Mid-Atlantic / Re: Francis Scott Key Bridge (...
Last post by MASTERNC - Today at 01:13:42 PM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on Today at 11:50:03 AM
Quote from: Henry on May 07, 2024, 10:07:03 PM

Even though it's just a first pitch by some entity, I have to imagine the eventual replacement will basically look like this. 

Especially given the safety "lessons learned" will be to place the piers out of the shipping channel like this bridge would
Traffic Control / Re: Why don't option lane BGSs...
Last post by webny99 - Today at 01:09:20 PM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on Today at 12:37:32 PM
Quote from: webny99 on Today at 11:09:27 AMMy only suggestion for this sign would be that the rightmost arrow should be located between EXIT and ONLY rather than to the right of it. Other than that, it looks great.

That may be what the official guidance says, but it would require a wider sign with more blank space.  Like APLs, one has to make a choice.

Why would it require a wider sign? The arrow takes up the same amount of space regardless of where it's located within the EXIT ONLY panel.
Quote from: GaryV on May 06, 2024, 01:34:57 PM^ Reminds me. I walked across Kinzua Bridge in PA before it got knocked down by a tornado.

I also have crossed that bridge a handful of times before the tornado (I think the last time was about 3 years before said tornado)
Have been meaning to go back since to see it in person, but just haven't.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.